Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Um....but That's What It's For!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um....but That's What It's For!

http://ktla.com/2016/04/27/teen-bein...-speed-filter/

Now, I think the company spoke person meant that the Speed Filter was not intended to be used by the DRIVER while DRIVING, but nonetheless the official statement is silly.

All around, though, this is one app we could do without, thank you.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Definitely. The filter encourages speeding and merely putting a disclaimer "do not use while driving" is not enough, since the obvious use would be to use it while driving and the anticipated use would be by the driver. I mean who would post a snapchat that says "looky here! I am sitting in the passenger seat going the speed limit! wheeeee!"

I hope the guy sues the pant of of the idiot woman and snapchat. Both were reckless. The woman who caused the wreck even snapchatted from the Ambulance! She is completely clueless.

Comment

Blaming her actions on Snapchat's "speed filter" would be like blaming the speedometer in her car because it has numbers in excess of the speed limit.

She's an idiot, and she's 100% at fault for this accident.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Blaming her actions on Snapchat's "speed filter" would be like blaming the speedometer in her car because it has numbers in excess of the speed limit.

She's an idiot, and she's 100% at fault for this accident.
        no. the filter actually encourages people to brag about their speed with selfies. That is different from a speedometer having numbers higher than the speed limit. That actually has a practical use since speed limits change from place to place and you need to know if you are going faster than you should be going. Now if speedometers had a bragging feature where you could post your speed on facebook, then it would be encouraging speeding and would be responsible. Snapchat put in a feature that encourages idiots like this woman to speed and brag about it. That makes them responsible in part. Without that feature she might not have been speeding and she sure would not have been distracted by trying to use her phone to take a snapchat while being reckless. Any jury with common sense will come down against snapchat on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          no. the filter actually encourages people to brag about their speed with selfies. That is different from a speedometer having numbers higher than the speed limit. That actually has a practical use since speed limits change from place to place and you need to know if you are going faster than you should be going. Now if speedometers had a bragging feature where you could post your speed on facebook, then it would be encouraging speeding and would be responsible. Snapchat put in a feature that encourages idiots like this woman to speed and brag about it. That makes them responsible in part. Without that feature she might not have been speeding and she sure would not have been distracted by trying to use her phone to take a snapchat while being reckless. Any jury with common sense will come down against snapchat on this.
          There is no stretch of road in America where I could legally max out the speedometer on my car, so should I sue Toyota if I get in a wreck while trying to reach the 200MPH marker? "It's not my fault! If they didn't want me driving that fast then they shouldn't have that marking on the speedometer!"

Sorry, man, but if I was on that jury, I would decide in favor of Snapchat. The fact that they explicitly tell people not to use the feature while driving absolves them of any wrongdoing. For that matter, I would decide in their favor even if they didn't include the disclaimer because basic common sense tells you that you shouldn't be speeding in the first place. I don't buy the "This feature made me act like an idiot, so it's not my fault" defense (basically "The devil made me do it."). This is the same brain-dead mentality that encourages people to sue gun manufacturers when someone happens to use a gun to commit a crime. It is in no way Snapchat's fault that this girl happened to do something willfully negligent while using their software.

Comment

I'd like to know the official reason for why this feature exists in the first place, from the company itself. Why was the ability to track and share you current speed in MPH even conceived? What did the developers intend for this to be used for?

I've tried googling and looking over their site but I can't find anything. Speed Filter just seems to be a thing that exists and that's the end of it.

Comment

There is no stretch of road in America where I could legally max out the speedometer on my car, so should I sue Toyota if I get in a wreck while trying to reach the 200MPH marker? "It's not my fault! If they didn't want me driving that fast then they shouldn't have that marking on the speedometer!"
              I already dealt with that. A speedometer is not enticing you to go faster than the speed limit. It merely indicates your speed so you can adjust it to the speed limits on various roads. If it had a "hey post your speed on facebook" feature then it would be enticing you to speed.

Sorry, man, but if I was on that jury, I would decide in favor of Snapchat. The fact that they explicitly tell people not to use the feature while driving absolves them of any wrongdoing. For that matter, I would decide in their favor even if they didn't include the disclaimer because basic common sense tells you that you shouldn't be speeding in the first place. I don't buy the "This feature made me act like an idiot, so it's not my fault" defense (basically "The devil made me do it."). This is the same brain-dead mentality that encourages people to sue gun manufacturers when someone happens to use a gun to commit a crime. It is in no way Snapchat's fault that this girl happened to do something willfully negligent while using their software.
              I bet snapchat will disable that feature and settle before it even goes to trial. The purpose of the filter is blatently to brag about your speed. Putting a notice on it saying "don't use while driving" is ridiculous, since it is meant to be used while driving. It is like selling a working gun and saying "this weapon is for show only. Do not fire it"

Comment

I agree, snap chat will settle. Everybody loses, especially the girl who seriously needs a solid smack of consequences for her outrageous behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  I agree, snap chat will settle. Everybody loses, especially the girl who seriously needs a solid smack of consequences for her outrageous behavior.
                  maybe she can snapchat herself in a court room.

Comment

I already dealt with that. A speedometer is not enticing you to go faster than the speed limit. It merely indicates your speed so you can adjust it to the speed limits on various roads. If it had a "hey post your speed on facebook" feature then it would be enticing you to speed.

I bet snapchat will disable that feature and settle before it even goes to trial. The purpose of the filter is blatently to brag about your speed. Putting a notice on it saying "don't use while driving" is ridiculous, since it is meant to be used while driving. It is like selling a working gun and saying "this weapon is for show only. Do not fire it"
                    What's to stop someone from taking a picture of the speedometer and bragging about it on Facebook? Your argument is specious and ignores the role of personal responsibility. I can think of any number of reasons why it might be interesting to post your speed along with a photograph, such as riding on a rollercoaster, or in an airplane, or on a zip-line, etc.

And you're right that they probably will settle out of court, not because they've done anything wrong but because it will simply be cheaper than fighting it even if they won. And if they remove the feature, it will be to avoid frivolous lawsuits.

Comment

What's to stop someone from taking a picture of the speedometer and bragging about it on Facebook? Your argument is specious and ignores the role of personal responsibility. I can think of any number of reasons why it might be interesting to post your speed along with a photograph, such as riding on a rollercoaster, or in an airplane, or on a zip-line, etc.
                      well if you did post a picture of your speedometer and post it on facebook, that doesn't make it the fault of the speedometer company because the speedometer didn't entice you to do that. Having a filter specifically to caption your photo with your speed in MPH is enticing you to speed. That is the freaking POINT of the filter. duh.
                      And you're right that they probably will settle out of court, not because they've done anything wrong but because it will simply be cheaper than fighting it even if they won. And if they remove the feature, it will be to avoid frivolous lawsuits.
                      Yes it would be to stop further lawsuits that would come out of the woodwork, some frivolous, some not. Snapchat is a snake in the grass company to begin with. They are not 'the good guys' - read up about their history. Three guys started it, based on one guys idea. The two other guys promptly cut the guy who invented it out of the picture and he had to sue them to get his fair share of the profits. Real nice guys there. Typical college brats are what they are. They think it is cool to take shots of you breaking the law, speeding, naked, whatever, and have the pictures only show up for a second or two and then get wiped out of existence so there is no evidence. That is the entire business model! nice app huh?

Comment

the speedometer doesn't have a built in camera

Comment

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ly-This-Stupid
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

well if you did post a picture of your speedometer and post it on facebook, that doesn't make it the fault of the speedometer company because the speedometer didn't entice you to do that. Having a filter specifically to caption your photo with your speed in MPH is enticing you to speed. That is the freaking POINT of the filter. duh.

Yes it would be to stop further lawsuits that would come out of the woodwork, some frivolous, some not. Snapchat is a snake in the grass company to begin with. They are not 'the good guys' - read up about their history. Three guys started it, based on one guys idea. The two other guys promptly cut the guy who invented it out of the picture and he had to sue them to get his fair share of the profits. Real nice guys there. Typical college brats are what they are. They think it is cool to take shots of you breaking the law, speeding, naked, whatever, and have the pictures only show up for a second or two and then get wiped out of existence so there is no evidence. That is the entire business model! nice app huh?
                            My only point is that to claim that the app is "enticing" people to break the law is absurd because there are countless scenarios in which the app could be used legally. The girl is 100% responsible for her own behavior, not the app makers.

Comment

I agree the girl is 100% responsible. If she's old enough to be a legal driver, she's old enough to accept the consequences of disregarding the laws she promised to follow when she got her license. However, snap chat should be held accountable for such bird-brained marketing of this app...it left them wide open to settlement actions against them.

Comment