Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are People Really This Stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are People Really This Stupid?

I mean millions of years of evolution, trial and error, and this is what we end up with?

German towns install traffic lights in sidewalks to prevent distracted walking

(CNN) -- Worried about people glued to their phones while they walk down the street?

Two German cities were concerned enough to install traffic lights that face up at pedestrians ... on the sidewalk.

The southern city of Augsburg recently installed the system at two crowded train stations after a manager saw something similar in Cologne.

Cologne installed similar devices in 2011, according to the German transportation research institute STUVA.

The lights cost about 10,000 euros ($11,313) each. Some have complained about the price, said Jurgen Fergg, a spokesman for the Augsburg municipal service, but the cost is "justified compared to the damage that can be prevented."

"We will keep an eye on the results and see if less people will walk over the red light," Fergg said.

http://whnt.com/2016/04/28/german-to...acted-walking/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

they just need trapdoors with retractable covers. When the light is red, the cover retracts. Anyone stupid enough to walk into the hole gets spiked at the bottom and their body dumped outside the city in the "evolution in action" pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      they just need trapdoors with retractable covers. When the light is red, the cover retracts. Anyone stupid enough to walk into the hole gets spiked at the bottom and their body dumped outside the city in the "evolution in action" pile.
      That would suck for them!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

If you have to ask, "are people really this stupid?", the answer would seem to be rather obvious.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          That would suck for them!
          sure, but problem solved. or heck just DONT put lights in the sidewalks and let nature takes its course. The problem will solve itself with no intervention at all.

Comment

I mean millions of years of evolution, trial and error, and this is what we end up with?
            It's a bigger issue than just being stupid. It's on the level of mind control. Living in LA, I actually know people that wouldn't know what to do and would literally become unraveled without their smartphone, like it's a necessary appendage. It's a widespread phenomenon that's downright disturbing, and I don't think it's just a passing fad unless we assume the entire electrical grid gets shut down sometime in the future (which, in this context, would actually be a good thing).

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              It's a bigger issue than just being stupid. It's on the level of mind control. Living in LA, I actually know people that wouldn't know what to do and would literally become unraveled without their smartphone, like it's a necessary appendage. It's a widespread phenomenon that's downright disturbing, and I don't think it's just a passing fad unless we assume the entire electrical grid gets shut down sometime in the future (which, in this context, would actually be a good thing).
              I read this on my smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I read this on my smartphone.
                I'm definitely not free of guilt. I've noticed I'm becoming less adept at spelling like I used to be (because of my reliance on spell checker), and my ability to hand write things is becoming diminished. So, in a way, we are actually becoming dumber.

Comment

We have more information at our fingertips than any human being in history. Any fact or bit of knowledge you want is there for the learning.

And what do we do with it? Post recipes, memes, cat videos and spread urban myths and chain letters around.

Way to go humanity!

Comment

This video sums it up...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      I don't own a cell phone - I don't want people to call me! One day my son was on his cell in the driveway, his girlfriend was on her cell at the other end of the driveway - 30 feet away - I asked him who he was talking to, guess....

Comment

I'm one of the only people I know who doesn't own a smartphone.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I don't own a cell phone - I don't want people to call me! One day my son was on his cell in the driveway, his girlfriend was on her cell at the other end of the driveway - 30 feet away - I asked him who he was talking to, guess....
                          That's good you don't. They're evil. I only own one because I make my living online, but I make it a point not to take it everywhere I go and because I don't want to be one of those moronic tools texting while walking down the street. Every time one of them is about to walk into me I just want to punch them in the mouth just on the principle of it.

Comment

Stupidity is allowed in Evolution as long as people are ably to reproduce, and cooperate enough so most of the next generation reproduces as well

As long as one-half or more of the adults of America reject evolution and the science of the history of our physical existence, like you seer, humans will be fallible humans, and many will do and think stupid stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Stupidity is allowed in Evolution as long as people are ably to reproduce, and cooperate enough so most of the next generation reproduces as well

As long as one-half or more of the adults of America reject evolution and the science of the history of our physical existence, like you seer, humans will be fallible humans, and many will do and think stupid stuff.
                              So, all the people who are glued to their cell phones don't believe in evolution.

Got it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment