Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We should be changing the legislation on this, NOT BATHROOMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We should be changing the legislation on this, NOT BATHROOMS

So in a turn of events Oklahoma has decided that sexual assault isn't assault unless it involves certain types of penetration.
    This is TRULY backwood/backward legislation. Instead of wasting time crying wolf and legislating NON laws, this is something worth fighting for. I'll let it speak for itself
    http://fox4kc.com/2016/04/29/oral-se...s-court-rules/
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

I don't think I understand. They're trying to make it count as 'force' if the other party is intoxicated? I don't see how that would hold up very well.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      I don't think I understand. They're trying to make it count as 'force' if the other party is intoxicated? I don't see how that would hold up very well.
      Apparently the overall rule is "it wasn't assault since you were intoxicated" I don't get it. How much more backward does it get than this?
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ah, life in the once great United States of America.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Does anyone else think that the US has gone stupid?
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Does anyone else think that the US has gone stupid?
            Look at the last few elections and who the leading candidates for this one are. Case closed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              Apparently the overall rule is "it wasn't assault since you were intoxicated" I don't get it. How much more backward does it get than this?
              So with a little digging, this is what the statute reads:

Source: Section 888 - Forcible Sodomy

B. The crime of forcible sodomy shall include:

1. Sodomy committed by a person over eighteen (18) years of age upon a person under sixteen (16) years of age; or

2. Sodomy committed upon a person incapable through mental illness or any unsoundness of mind of giving legal consent regardless of the age of the person committing the crime; or

3. Sodomy accomplished with any person by means of force, violence, or threats of force or violence accompanied by apparent power of execution regardless of the age of the victim or the person committing the crime; or

4. Sodomy committed by a state, county, municipal or political subdivision employee or a contractor or an employee of a contractor of the state, a county, a municipality or political subdivision of this state upon a person who is under the legal custody, supervision or authority of a state agency, a county, a municipality or a political subdivision of this state; or

5. Sodomy committed upon a person who is at least sixteen (16) years of age but less than twenty (20) years of age and is a student of any public or private secondary school, junior high or high school, or public vocational school, with a person who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and is employed by the same school system.

© Copyright Original Source

It looks to boil down to two things: can you give consent and did you give consent. Item #3 is the latter. With the limited details I've found, it appears that the accused claims consent was given. Unless there's video or physical evidence otherwise, the prosecution probably can't prove otherwise. Since the statute doesn't take intoxication into consideration for determining if consent can be given, the action doesn't qualify as forcible sodomy.

I'm honestly not sure what I think about this. The easy answer is just to amend the statute to predicate consent on not being intoxicated. That mostly strikes me as overcompensating, though. It's entirely possible to give consent while intoxicated. It's also a lot easier to take advantage of someone who is intoxicated. I'm not sure that means we should be changing the law. That seems like using too big of a hammer, but I can't pretend to know how big of a nail this really is. It doesn't strike me as a very big one.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment