Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Kent Hovind in deep doo-doo again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent Hovind in deep doo-doo again.

The guy can't help himself. Turns out that just before going to prison Hovind transferred all his assets (claimed to be over $2 million) to the Ministry run by his son Eric for $6300 as a possibly illegal shelter from the Government. Now that Hovind is out of the clink he wants it back but Eric isn't willing to give it up. Looks like both sides are lawyering up. This has interesting tax implications because Hovind still owes the Government $3.3 million in back taxes and fines from his first conviction. If he somehow gets his stuff back look for the Feds to swoop in. Also interesting is that Hovind's wife Jo has divorced him and sided with Eric in the family feud.

Hovind vs. Hovind

Hovind hasn't exhausted his entertainment value yet, not by a long shot.

Stay Klassy Kent!
    "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

What does this have to do with science? Isn't this a civics issue?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        What does this have to do with science? Isn't this a civics issue?
        Kent Hovind was one of the leading "professional" YEC charlatans for decades. His anti-science antics have been discussed here in detail. Watching him be convicted / jailed for tax evasion gave a huge amount of schadenfreude to pro-science people everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
          Kent Hovind was one of the leading "professional" YEC charlatans for decades. His anti-science antics have been discussed here in detail. Watching him be convicted / jailed for tax evasion gave a huge amount of schadenfreude to pro-science people everywhere.
          I wouldn't wish US government seizure for tax evasion even on my worst enemy, regardless who he or she is or what they've done. Because, as a US citizen, if it can happen to him, it can happen to me for any number of reasons, legal or otherwise (i.e. the recent IRS harassment of conservative groups). But then this opens the door to a different discussion about the legal viability of tax laws and why they're so complex and confusing which is why it should be in the civics forum.

Comment

I wouldn't wish US government seizure for tax evasion even on my worst enemy, regardless who he or she is or what they've done. Because, as a US citizen, if it can happen to him, it can happen to me for any number of reasons, legal or otherwise
            It happened to Hovind because he was a rather blatant tax cheat. He flaunted his breaking of the law and deserved every year he got in Federal prison. Lots of people were happy he got his proper comeuppance. The time he served doesn't magically erase the large amount of back taxes he still owes.

Comment

It happened to Hovind because he was a rather blatant tax cheat.
              Also he wasn't just avoiding his own tax, he was skimping on the tax paid from his employees' salaries, thus effectively defrauding them as well.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Also he wasn't just avoiding his own tax, he was skimping on the tax paid from his employees' salaries, thus effectively defrauding them as well.
                That is the part that often gets overlooked.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It happened to Hovind because he was a rather blatant tax cheat. He flaunted his breaking of the law and deserved every year he got in Federal prison. Lots of people were happy he got his proper comeuppance. The time he served doesn't magically erase the large amount of back taxes he still owes.
                  To be honest, I don't know much about the details of what he did, but I certainly wouldn't trust rumor and internet hearsay even if I was interested. Moreover, I can't help but believe that the sentiment you express is just because he rubbed you the wrong way when it came to his views about evolution. Seeing how you and others handle yourselves, and the over the top passion you express in regards to this subject reinforces my belief. If you're a US citizen, celebrating a person getting audited by our government, particularly in its current corrupt state, is a bit like chickens celebrating the fox getting its "comeuppance" by a pack coyotes that have decided to move into the area.

And, again, this is not a science issue, it's a civics a issue, which was my initial point.

Comment

To be honest, I don't know much about the details of what he did, but I certainly wouldn't trust rumor and internet hearsay even if I was interested.
                    Then maybe you should read up on the case before spouting off your uninformed opinion.

And, again, this is not a science issue, it's a civics a issue, which was my initial point.
                    It's a professional Creationist charlatan and convicted tax fraud still squirming to hide funds he owes the Government. If you don't like what's posted describing his continued dishonesty, the door's that way. -->

Comment

Then maybe you should read up on the case before spouting off your uninformed opinion.

It's a professional Creationist charlatan and convicted tax fraud still squirming to hide funds he owes the Government. If you don't like what's posted describing his continued dishonesty, the door's that way. -->

Nah, debate's cool. I actually would love to see what members here, particularly US citizens, think about the subject, especially hardcore libertarians like Joel. But it's a civics issue, for the third time, not a science issue. Or is it you don't want to venture into the civics forum because this is just your hangout. That's cool too, I guess. I doubt anyone here will discuss the issue or want to really deal with you anyway knowing your history here at tweb. So maybe it's better just left here.

Comment

Nah, debate's cool. I actually would love to see what members here, particularly US citizens, think about the subject, especially hardcore libertarians like Joel.
                        Go start your own thread elsewhere then.

Comment

Or is it you don't want to venture into the civics forum because this is just your hangout. That's cool too, I guess. I doubt anyone here will discuss the issue or want to really deal with you anyway knowing your history here at tweb. So maybe it's better just left here.
                          You've shown you're pretty clueless in shooting your mouth off on a topic you admit to knowing almost nothing about. Why would listening to your same blather over in Civics be any different? From what I've gathered you have quite the reputation for having an adversarial relationship with the truth. It's always yap first, engage brain later if at all.

Comment

Nah, debate's cool. I actually would love to see what members here, particularly US citizens, think about the subject, especially hardcore libertarians like Joel. But it's a civics issue, for the third time, not a science issue. Or is it you don't want to venture into the civics forum because this is just your hangout. That's cool too, I guess. I doubt anyone here will discuss the issue or want to really deal with you anyway knowing your history here at tweb. So maybe it's better just left here.
                            Hovind fancies himself savvy with regards to the failings of science and has for years and years showcased the gullibility of the YEC mindset by putting forward some the most absurd and patently obvious hoaxes and charades as 'evidence' for a Young Earth. That his lack of a conscience in the field of science and Chrstian evangelism would land him in jail for tax fraud is why this is in Nat Sci and not in civics.

BTW - this is a lesson to those that allow their conscience to be compromised. It spills over into other areas of life, and eventually catches up with you.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              BTW - this is a lesson to those that allow their conscience to be compromised. It spills over into other areas of life, and eventually catches up with you.

Jim
                              It's a really strange thing to me when a US citizen lionizes the IRS coming after another US citizen for tax evasion. That just blows me away. It even magnifies when it's two Christians. I can't even wrap my head around that enough to clearly argue why that's so immensely strange to me.

Comment