Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Kent Hovind in deep doo-doo again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    It's a really strange thing to me when a US citizen lionizes the IRS coming after another US citizen for tax evasion. That just blows me away. It even magnifies when it's two Christians. I can't even wrap my head around that enough to clearly argue why that's so immensely strange to me.
    Regardless of any theological thoughts you might have, here's how i'd view it: I pay my taxes. People who avoid paying taxes annoy me - they're benefitting from things they're not paying for every time they leave the house, turn on the tap, etc. etc. I see nothing objectionable about the IRS ensuring that taxes get paid.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

It's a really strange thing to me when a US citizen lionizes the IRS coming after another US citizen for tax evasion. That just blows me away. It even magnifies when it's two Christians. I can't even wrap my head around that enough to clearly argue why that's so immensely strange to me.
      Tax evasion is a federal crime. It''s stealing, fundamentally no different than embezzling money from a bank. Why is it so surprising that blatant cases like Hovind's get prosecuted?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        Regardless of any theological thoughts you might have, here's how i'd view it: I pay my taxes. People who avoid paying taxes annoy me - they're benefitting from things they're not paying for every time they leave the house, turn on the tap, etc. etc. I see nothing objectionable about the IRS ensuring that taxes get paid.
        Also, if some people don't pay their share towards communal costs, everyone else has to pay more.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          Particularly when we can nail known criminals on tax evasion that we haven't been able to successfully pin down otherwise.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

You are looking at it way wrong Sean. If a person does something against the law, or that is morally wrong, you don't 'support' them just because they are Christian or just because it was the IRS that came after them or just because they are <place your favorite label here>

1) Hovind was purposefully and willfully putting material out there that was just plain wrong and deceptive
            2) Hovind was purposefully and willfully trying to get away with not paying his taxes.

These are both morally wrong things. Christian only plays into it in that it just makes it all the WORSE that he did this things while also claiming to present the truth of the Gospel.

And to be clear, I'm not one for actually 'rejoicing' in the man's downfall. I shake my head at it, it is sad, but I only wish for any wrongdoer that they get right with God and man - that they repent and change their ways. So it is my hope he comes to his senses, repents, gets right with God and man. But so far that doesn't seem to be the direction he's headed.

But I'm not going to say - Oh this fellow was a Christian so he should get a pass. Doesn't work that way.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              You are looking at it way wrong Sean. If a person does something against the law, or that is morally wrong, you don't 'support' them just because they are Christian or just because it was the IRS that came after them or just because they are <place your favorite label here>

1) Hovind was purposefully and willfully putting material out there that was just plain wrong and deceptive
              2) Hovind was purposefully and willfully trying to get away with not paying his taxes.

These are both morally wrong things. Christian only plays into it in that it just makes it all the WORSE that he did this things while also claiming to present the truth of the Gospel.

And to be clear, I'm not one for actually 'rejoicing' in the man's downfall. I shake my head at it, it is sad, but I only wish for any wrongdoer that they get right with God and man - that they repent and change their ways. So it is my hope he comes to his senses, repents, gets right with God and man. But so far that doesn't seem to be the direction he's headed.

But I'm not going to say - Oh this fellow was a Christian so he should get a pass. Doesn't work that way.

Jim
              #1 - though this would be the proper discussion for this section of the forum, I suppose this is a debate on whether ToE is scientifically true or not and is a discussion that is pointless as it goes nowhere on this board, and a discussion that personally bores me now because I wasn't entirely sure if human evolution was scientifically false years before as I am now (I'm more interested in the theological implications of the discussion which isn't the proper discussion for this section).

#2 - is based on:
              a) that income tax is even legal and moral, which is a debate in and of itself and is not fit for this section of the forum.
              b) that Hovind actually did anything wrong which is solely predicated on the integrity of the agency that claims he broke the law, another debate that isn't fit for this section.

#2 is why it blows me away that you would be so quick to argue he got his just deserts. Because of #2, I would expect any US citizen to be cautious of that, whether atheist or theist, but especially an orthodox Christian such as yourself. That's all. No big deal. I'm over it. Since I've made my point, I'm done with the discussion on the matter here.

Comment

#1 - though this would be the proper discussion for this section of the forum, I suppose this is a debate on whether ToE is scientifically true or not and is a discussion that is pointless as it goes nowhere on this board, and a discussion that personally bores me now because I wasn't entirely sure if human evolution was scientifically false years before as I am now
                Thanks for confirming again your pitiful scientific ignorance.

that Hovind actually did anything wrong which is solely predicated on the integrity of the agency that claims he broke the law, another debate that isn't fit for this section.
                The facts concerning Hovind's felonies have been well documented and are easily found online. That you were too lazy to look before knee-jerk defending what you perceived to be a "Christian victim" shows how important intellectual honesty is to you.

Comment

To weigh in. I am a YEC (who has disagreed with a number of the arguments that Hovind chooses to use from before all the tax stuff) and I must admit that his behaviour of the tax situation is more than a little embarrassing. He's like that weird old uncle wearing just his underwear cracking obscene jokes that you try to ignore at family gatherings
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

#1 - though this would be the proper discussion for this section of the forum, I suppose this is a debate on whether ToE is scientifically true or not...
                    No, it's not. Even other YEC organisations warn against using Hovind's 'arguments'. It's a debate on whether it is ok to spread disinformation in support of your worldview.

Do you think it's ok to, for example, 'quote' a 1975 paper's description of a fossil that wasn't discovered until 1977?

b) that Hovind actually did anything wrong which is solely predicated on the integrity of the agency that claims he broke the law,
                    Claptrap. Evidence was provided in court.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It wasn't just ripping off the taxpayers but his own employees who trusted and believed in him. He screwed them royally as well.

Then there was what he did in the court room. The absolute kindest way of portraying it was that he attempted to turn it into a three ring circus. Judges tend to take a dim view of that especially when it was shown that Hovind was also threatening and harassing the agents investigating him. Those things sealed his fate and resulted in the book being thrown at him. Many experts have said that if Hovind had acted civilly it would have been unlikely that he ever served any jail time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because of #2, I would expect any US citizen to be cautious of that, whether atheist or theist, but especially an orthodox Christian such as yourself.
                        I'm decidedly curious about what's left of orthodox Christianity after you've eliminated Matthew.
                        Show me the money for the tax." And they brought him a coin. And Jesus said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" They said, "Caesar's." Then he said to them, "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

And Mark.
                        Bring me a coin, and let me look at it." And they brought one. And he said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" They said to him, "Caesar's." Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

And Luke.
                        Show me a coin. Whose likeness and inscription has it?" They said, "Caesar's." He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

Comment