Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Have These People No Shame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have These People No Shame?

Really, these people have no shame!

Expert claims global warming will cause more murder, rape

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/35834/...ape/index.html

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...95069613001289

Between 2010 and 2099, climate change will cause an additional 22,000 murders, 180,000 cases of rape, 1.2 million aggravated assaults, 2.3 million simple assaults, 260,000 robberies, 1.3 million burglaries, 2.2 million cases of larceny, and 580,000 cases of vehicle theft in the United States.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Really, these people have no shame!
    Follow the data, Seer. If the data is sound, what is your argument?

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      How about that there are just too many variables to come to such conclusions.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

How about that there are just too many variables to come to such conclusions.
        Have you actually looked at the data to see if they account for such variables, or are you simply assuming that it cannot be done?

Comment

Have you actually looked at the data to see if they account for such variables, or are you simply assuming that it cannot be done?
          Yes, I'm assuming that it is nonsense, but I can't get to the paper - it costs $35.00.

Comment

I had a read of the paper. I'm a little disappointed they didn't take into account the economic effect of climate change and analyse a change in crime rates like that - much more interesting.

Although on the science of weather/crime rates:
            Source: Paper in the OP

Although using empirical data to distinguish between these hypotheses [on why crime rates are impacted by weather] is difficult, there is considerable evidence that
            weather does affect criminal behavior (Cohn, 1990). Previous research on this topic has typically taken one of two empirical
            approaches. First, some studies have focused on measuring the short-term relationship between weather and crime, using
            hourly, daily, or weekly microdata (Horrocks and Menclova, 2011; Bushman et al., 2005; Cohn and Rotton, 2000; Brunsdon
            et al., 2009). However, interpreting this research in the context of climate change is complicated by negative serial
            correlation in crime. In a large study using weekly data on crime and temperatures in 116 US jurisdictions for the period
            1996–2001, Jacob et al. (2007)found that although rates of violent crime and property crime are elevated during weeks with
            hot weather, the effect is offset somewhat by lower than usual crime rates in the following weeks. This result suggests that
            understanding the cumulative impacts of climate change on crime may require working with data at a more aggregate time
            scale (e.g., months).5

© Copyright Original Source

Bolded mine.

Comment

Yes, I'm assuming that it is nonsense, but I can't get to the paper - it costs $35.00.
              I saw that. However, I have found that it is unwise to assume something is nonsense simply because one disagrees with that.

I will admit I have reservations. At least in the abstract, the paper indicated a _correlation_ between temperature and crime rates ... but does not indicate a _causation_. Even the strongest of correlations, without a causation, is an interesting trend, but does not indicate that the expected results _will_ occur ... only that there is a trend.

But we shall see. If the paper ever becomes openly available and I happen to think about it, I will try to remember to post it.

Comment

Maybe he's upset because they're infringing on his proprietory debate style.

Roy
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I will admit I have reservations. At least in the abstract, the paper indicated a _correlation_ between temperature and crime rates ... but does not indicate a _causation_. Even the strongest of correlations, without a causation, is an interesting trend, but does not indicate that the expected results _will_ occur ... only that there is a trend.
                  No kidding. So you have reservations, and I dismiss it.

Comment

No kidding. So you have reservations, and I dismiss it.
                    My reservations are based on not seeing all the information. I do not dismiss the paper: I simply refuse to jump to a conclusion.

Comment

I simply refuse to jump to a conclusion.
                      Well that has never stopped me!

Comment

Well that has never stopped me!
                        Well, you know they say exercise is good for you.

Comment

Well, you know they say exercise is good for you.
                          Actually I have a lot of knee jerk workouts...

Comment

Actually I have a lot of knee jerk workouts...
                            I'm religiously opposed to exercise.

Comment

Global warming causes string bikinis too. Warm weather tends to mean more women will go swimming and lay out in the sun, wearing string bikinis.

Comment