Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Nobody should be AXED to work for free. Nobody."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Adrift. I grew up in NC, even my MSgt in High school said "Axe" for ask and so did probably 1/2 the kids in the class. I'm guessing 1/3 of the nursing students (who were brilliant) did too. Its really a dialect of Ask and its very very Southern which if you look at the history is closer to Old English anyway so
    By the way, quit bein so nit picky ya wierd Texan.....
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Agree with Adrift. I grew up in NC, even my MSgt in High school said "Axe" for ask and so did probably 1/2 the kids in the class. I'm guessing 1/3 of the nursing students (who were brilliant) did too. Its really a dialect of Ask and its very very Southern which if you look at the history is closer to Old English anyway so
      By the way, quit bein so nit picky ya wierd Texan.....
      A couple years ago I worked for a black woman who was raised in the state of Washington as were her parents. She always said "ask" except when talking to other blacks when she would almost always say "axe." If it was a mixed group, even if most of the group were black, she would say "ask."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        speakifying of not speakifying goodly English...

Why do Australians and New Zealanders go around saying, "Good Die?" - sure everyone wants to die well, but wishing it on them every time you meet them is a bit morbid.
        reminds me of an old skit:
        The scene is North Africa, at the height of fierce battles in World War 2. An Australian junior officer meets a British senior officer on the front line. “Good morning young man,” says the British officer, “Did you come here to die?”
        “No Sir,” replies the young Australian, “I came yesterday”.

But the Aussie and the Kiwi accents are very different.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          But the Aussie and the Kiwi accents are very different.
          The Country to the East of Texas is Louisiana. They speak a really foreign language.

One day I was in one of our offices in Louisiana, and our receptionist's daughter was there. She came into my office and asked me "Do you work alone".
          I was puzzled by her question - she knows I worked for the same company her mother did, and she knew I was there with a couple of my IT guys.

I responded, "Well, I'm here with Rick and Alex".... She said, "but do you work alone?"

I was even more puzzled... then she showed me a box of all kinds of fragrances, and asked again... um... lemme translate... "Do you wear cologne".

She was wanting to sell me some.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            The Country to the East of Texas is Louisiana. They speak a really foreign language.

One day I was in one of our offices in Louisiana, and our receptionist's daughter was there. She came into my office and asked me "Do you work alone".
            I was puzzled by her question - she knows I worked for the same company her mother did, and she knew I was there with a couple of my IT guys.

I responded, "Well, I'm here with Rick and Alex".... She said, "but do you work alone?"

I was even more puzzled... then she showed me a box of all kinds of fragrances, and asked again... um... lemme translate... "Do you wear cologne".

We forget to enunciate in the deep south. But I can still understand what people say. It ain't foreign, just different. I love the way we talk.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Accents are for the most part slowly but surely being eliminated thanks to TV and movies. You just don't hear them nearly as much or as pronounced among the younger generations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

LOL. wait. Actually I think I talk like that. ...recording... ...listening... yep.

it's weird, you can't hear your own accent when you speak, but if you record yourself and listen to it, then you can hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Accents are for the most part slowly but surely being eliminated thanks to TV and movies. You just don't hear them nearly as much or as pronounced among the younger generations.
                  What'd ja say? Yer typin' has too much uv an accent.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    In fact, when somebody attempts to use a regional dialect in the movies, it often sounds blatantly phony.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      LOL. wait. Actually I think I talk like that. ...recording... ...listening... yep.

it's weird, you can't hear your own accent when you speak, but if you record yourself and listen to it, then you can hear it.
                      Yes you have a remarkably backwoodish sounding speak.
                      I can't hear my own, but once I moved to the midwest, everyone pointed it out. And then my husband thought the funniest thing he ever heard was me say "might could"
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You should try pronounce Hluhluwe
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          You should try pronounce Hluhluwe
                          Having been a profound stutterer in my youth, my speech therapist worked with me on a number of "tricks" to say things I could not otherwise say.

My favorite example was "Grand Ole Opry". I was told don't try to say "Grand Ole Opry" - just say "Grando Loppry" - it sounds exactly correct.

Comment