Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Nobody should be AXED to work for free. Nobody."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    http://kcmopost.blogspot.com/2016/05...naissance.html
    KcmoPost covers news commentary, satire and consumer advice, relevant to Kansas City MO or the country. Collect our political art:tease a friend.

The image is enough to show this is where CP found the story. How CP happened to run across that obscure blog is anyone's guess, but there's no foul in claiming the emphasis on "axe" vs. "ask" is racist. I will say it's obvious why he didn't bother linking it.

The first law of grammar criticism. Violated.

And especially inappropriate from anyone who peppers their posts with "done-ifying" and "y'all."

Here's the CBS story with the video. You'll need to turn off your ad-blocker to view it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detroit-...ial-struggles/
    yeah if the leader of the teachers were to talk about a strike and use words like "y'all" in a professional situation, I would mock him/her too, even though I use "y'all" all the time myself. It was not racist to mock her using "axed"

but hey, spin it how you like.

Comment

ps, her speech is completely normal and clear EXCEPT she clearly used "axed" - derp. She was not speaking in any accent or anything.

but LT is right about one thing. Why the heck do we even have a thread about something this trivial? We must be bored.

Comment

Theologyweb - Building molehill mountains since 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          yeah if the leader of the teachers were to talk about a strike and use words like "y'all" in a professional situation, I would mock him/her too, even though I use "y'all" all the time myself. It was not racist to mock her using "axed"

but hey, spin it how you like.
          I gotta admit that it used to bug me a bit when someone said "axed" instead of "asked". Then I learned that it's not born out of ignorance necessarily, but rather it has a long history, especially in the south, and even among whites. I don't think it's racist to notice it, but it does seem a bit petty and nitpicky to condemn someone because of it.

Finding examples for lao tzu's counter-example is pretty easy.

Source: http://abc13.com/education/hisd-superintendent-responds-to-grade-changing-allegations/733090/

Her [Houston Teachers' Union President Gayle Fallon] message to teachers is, "There's more of you. If y'all stand up together, that's the whole idea of a union, we can end this."

© Copyright Original Source

I mean...teachers, and union presidents are people too. Outside of profanity-laden speech it shouldn't be a sore point for people to learn that their dialect reflects the region or neighborhoods they were raised in.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I gotta admit that it used to bug me a bit when someone said "axed" instead of "asked". Then I learned that it's not born out of ignorance necessarily, but rather it has a long history, especially in the south, and even among whites. I don't think it's racist to notice it, but it does seem a bit petty and nitpicky to condemn someone because of it.

Finding examples for lao tzu's counter-example is pretty easy.

Source: http://abc13.com/education/hisd-superintendent-responds-to-grade-changing-allegations/733090/

Her [Houston Teachers' Union President Gayle Fallon] message to teachers is, "There's more of you. If y'all stand up together, that's the whole idea of a union, we can end this."

© Copyright Original Source

I mean...teachers, and union presidents are people too. Outside of profanity-laden speech it shouldn't be a sore point for people to learn that their dialect reflects the region or neighborhoods they were raised in.
            Particularly when you don't even hear your own dialect and speech idiosyncrasies unless they've specifically been brought to your attention (and even then, not always).
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

ps, her speech is completely normal and clear EXCEPT she clearly used "axed" - derp. She was not speaking in any accent or anything.

but LT is right about one thing. Why the heck do we even have a thread about something this trivial? We must be bored.
              My grandfather speaks clearly and normally except when he says to 'warsh' your hands.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Theologyweb - Building molehill mountains since 2003

The civics subforum is particularly bad about that, imo.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  I gotta admit that it used to bug me a bit when someone said "axed" instead of "asked". Then I learned that it's not born out of ignorance necessarily, but rather it has a long history, especially in the south, and even among whites. I don't think it's racist to notice it, but it does seem a bit petty and nitpicky to condemn someone because of it. .
                  Theologyweb - If you have a nit, we will pick it.

Comment

It's not like you yanks have used English in years (1:52).

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post

Like everything else we improved on it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Like everything else we improved on it
                        embrace, extend, extinguish?
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

When given the chance.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Whut iz you trine to sayify?

Comment

I heard south Africans speak English. It is so bad they gave it another name altogether: Afrikaans.

Comment

speakifying of not speakifying goodly English...

Why do Australians and New Zealanders go around saying, "Good Die?" - sure everyone wants to die well, but wishing it on them every time you meet them is a bit morbid.

Comment