Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Was 'An Inconvenient Truth' based on science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am getting bored. This thread needs some JohnMartin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      *hands Sparko the microphone*
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
        *hands Sparko the microphone*
        That WAS my comedic relief. Back to you Gerbz.

Comment

How does all this flowing aether affect the climate? Have those smarty pants geologists calculated THAT?
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post

If Thompson thought enough of his own predictions to urge policy changes then it becomes pretty clear that the qualifiers were more style than substance. In short, he wasn't sounding the alarm because he thought these things might happen but because he believed he was witnessing an event in progress. I'm sure Lonnie Thompson is a skilled and dedicated scientist and I'm sure he regrets making the prediction; however, he did make a prediction and it did turn out to be wrong. Kudos to his colleague for admitting as much.
            But DID Thompson actually "urge policy changes"? If so, where? HMSB linked us to Thompson's paper in ScienceMag. I see nothing in this paper mentioning public policy at all, let alone anything urging "policy changes". Please present your evidence for your claim that Thompson urged policy changes.

You may well be correct; Thompson may have urged policy changes in some other setting or venue. But my suspicion is that you are conflating Thompson with Gore. (And I'm starting to suspect that you conflate and demonize everyone who provides any evidence of AGW, with no concern for the accuracy of your own statements.).

Gore is the one who urged policy changes. I have yet to see any evidence that Thompson did so.
            "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
              But DID Thompson actually "urge policy changes"? If so, where? HMSB linked us to Thompson's paper in ScienceMag. I see nothing in this paper mentioning public policy at all, let alone anything urging "policy changes". Please present your evidence for your claim that Thompson urged policy changes.

You may well be correct; Thompson may have urged policy changes in some other setting or venue. But my suspicion is that you are conflating Thompson with Gore. (And I'm starting to suspect that you conflate and demonize everyone who provides any evidence of AGW, with no concern for the accuracy of your own statements.).

Gore is the one who urged policy changes. I have yet to see any evidence that Thompson did so.
              This was what i was trying to get at. It's also important to note that Thompson may have urged policy changes based on things like the climate sensitivity or projections of sea level rise, but that's a very different animal from doing so based on projections of the Kilimanjaro snowcap.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                How does all this flowing aether affect the climate? Have those smarty pants geologists calculated THAT?
                Yeah all that aether flowing down to the earth to create gravity brings in more and more heat from the sun and since the only aether that goes upwards is that which makes helium balloons rise and kangaroos and basketball players jump, means that the earth is getting hotter and hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                  Instead of me spending the 2 minutes on Google it would take to substantiate this claim let me go ahead and play out the next dozen or so posts in quick succession:

Kbertsche asks for a link proving off topic assertion A.

Meh Gerbil provides the link.

Kbertsche claims the link doesn't prove assertion A.

Meh Gerbil provides another link.

HMS_Beagel looks up from licking himself long enough to make some otherworldly claim of victory.

Kbertsche introduces another off topic question as if it were the real point of the thread.

Taoist calls Meh Gerbil stupid. References his mother.

Kbertsche accuses Meh Gerbil of secretly hating AGW proponents.

Oxmixmudd writes something intelligent.

Taoist accuses Meh Gerbil of a sex crime.

Meh Gerbil thanks Oxmixmudd for the well reasoned help.

Oxmixmudd throws Meh Gerbil overboard.

Put that into a loop and you'll have the next three to six days figured out.
                  Now excuse me, I need to call Trout and share a good laugh.
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Yeah all that aether flowing down to the earth to create gravity brings in more and more heat from the sun and since the only aether that goes upwards is that which makes helium balloons rise and kangaroos and basketball players jump, means that the earth is getting hotter and hotter.
                    Basketball must be stopped. Think of the glaciers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                      Instead of me spending the 2 minutes on Google it would take to substantiate this claim let me go ahead and play out the next dozen or so posts in quick succession:
                      Gerbil makes unsubstantiated claim.

Gerbil is asked to back up claim.

Gerbil reference link that doesn't support claim.

Gerbil's failure is pointed out by several posters

Link to actual scientific paper is presented refuting Gerbil's claim.

Gerbil tries desperately to change the subject to hide his failure.

Comment

HMS_Beagel looks up from licking himself long enough to make some otherworldly claim of victory.

Kbertsche introduces another off topic question as if it were the real point of the thread.

In other words, you either cannot or will not try to support your claim that Thompson "urged policy changes". Is this an admission that your claim is false?

You apparently consider your claim to be an "off topic assertion". Whether or not this is the case, you would earn a lot more credibility if you didn't make claims that you could not support.
                        "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

• For someone who complained about obfuscation, that someone is certainly doing a good bit of it themselves.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

well stick a fork in it. this thread is done!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                              Basketball must be stopped. Think of the glaciers!
                              see you is just ignorant of Aether flow.

we need MORE basketball players and kangaroos in order to increase the upward aether flow in order to cool the planet.

Comment

Now - now, I did NOT throw you overboard ... reality is, I actually said:

(optimist) everyone is half right
                                (pessimist) everyone is half wrong

Since I'm not getting roasted alive, I'm assuming there are a lot of optimists on this thread

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment