Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Was 'An Inconvenient Truth' based on science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    So when an authority (in this case a climate scientist) gets it wrong the fall back tactic is to question the authenticity of everyone in the room who happens to notice it.
    In this case, a rodent.

Irony noted.

This is the sort of nonsense that caused me to turn my back on fundamentalism.
    This is the sort of nonsense that caused me to stop coddling denialists.

But forgive me, I did say we were going to pretend you were asking honest questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      lao tzu is in rare form this morning. The Snarkiness is great in this one.
      Two pots of Colombian, fresh ground, and you can snark with the best of us, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        lao tzu is in rare form this morning. The Snarkiness is great in this one.
        I'm learning some good things.
        For example, I thought the people in this list were false prophets:
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...alyptic_events

Turns out that Wikipedia has been wildly discredited and they only 'muffed' it.
        Last edited by Meh Gerbil; 05-05-2016, 10:01 AM.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          Two pots of Colombian, fresh ground, and you can snark with the best of us, too.
          Cocaine or coffee?
          You didn't really drink two pots of coffee already, did you?
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

yet, today I have met the master.

Comment

Cocaine or coffee?
              You didn't really drink two pots of coffee already, did you?
              The east coast makes many things possible for an early riser.

Third pot is brewing.

Comment

This is the sort of nonsense that caused me to stop coddling denialists.
                Yeah, the fundamentalists used to do that as well.
                They'd give the opposition a wicked sounding name - the 'us' vs. 'them' thing really brings in the bucks.

Out of curiosity, what level would I have to achieve in your organization to be able to compare a scientist's predictions with the actual result?
                I thought it was a pretty simple comparison but evidently I have to have some sort of certification - not the sort of thing they'd hand out to a lowly 'denialist', I'd wager.

Should I walk to the camp now or will an officer be around to pick me up shortly?

Comment

The east coast makes many things possible for an early riser.

Third pot is brewing.
                  I assume your office chair is a bucket of some sort?

Comment

I'm learning some good things.
                    For example, I thought the people in this list were false prophets:
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...alyptic_events

Turns out that Wikipedia has been wildly discredited and they only 'muffed' it.
                    You should see someone about these mood swings.

Comment

You should see someone about these mood swings.
                      Said the guy on his third pot of coffee...

Comment

Define "based on"

How many totally fictitious movies have the notice "based on true events" on them?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

With all due respect you've lost me.
                          Not hard to do apparently.

The overall science presented in AIT was correct. This has been verified repeatedly in the following decade. Human inputs have caused the Earth's average temperature to continue to rise rapidly, as does sea level. Ice volume at both poles is decreasing, the amount of precipitation worldwide is increasing (warmer air temp = more evaporation, more moisture in the air). The changes have already cost hundreds of billions of dollars in failed crops and lost seaside land worldwide. They're predicted to cost trillions more in infrastructure damage, look at Miami for a good example. All the squawking from the AGW-deniers is because some of the worst case scenarios didn't occur, lucky for us. That doesn't somehow invalidate all the other scientific findings as AGW denier clowns would have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                            Not necessarily. He was just wrong.

Not necessarily. The prediction was wrong, but this doesn't mean that the science was "bad".

Al Gore took a speculative scientific prediction, presented it as absolute fact, and used it to push his own public policy agenda. He abused science for political reasons.
                            Exactly. Gore took things that may well have been based on legitimate science and pushed it to the extreme

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Exactly. Gore took things that may well have been based on legitimate science and pushed it to the extreme
                              sort of like taking the theory that says the sun will expand into a red giant one day and fry us all and then claiming it will happen in 10 years?

That is called "lying" and "scare tactics" - not science.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Define "based on"
                                How many totally fictitious movies have the notice "based on true events" on them?
                                A Clinton-esque tactic but I'll play for a little bit.

Drilling down to the claim "The ice/snow/glacier/varves on Mount Whatever will be gone in 10 years.".
                                When I ask 'What was that based on?' I want to know what evidence/methodology/metric/authority made the claim seem reasonable at the time?

For example:
                                1: Did Al Gore fabricate it?
                                2: Did Lonnie Thompson fabricate it?
                                3: Did the science of the time suggest it?

How did the claim originate?

Comment