Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Was 'An Inconvenient Truth' based on science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Yeah, the fundamentalists used to do that as well.
    They'd give the opposition a wicked sounding name - the 'us' vs. 'them' thing really brings in the bucks.

Out of curiosity, what level would I have to achieve in your organization to be able to compare a scientist's predictions with the actual result?
    I thought it was a pretty simple comparison but evidently I have to have some sort of certification - not the sort of thing they'd hand out to a lowly 'denialist', I'd wager.

Should I walk to the camp now or will an officer be around to pick me up shortly?
    If you want to know about philosophy, you should talk to your waitress. There's a much better chance you'll find someone fetching sour cream who's actually studied philosophy than someone from fringe media who's studied climate science.

Kent Hovind calls himself "Dr." You should make an appointment. I hear he handles tax cases, too. In the waiting room, be sure to pick up the latest copy of the IPCC report.

I see you've chosen the better part of valor, and decided against checking Bastasch's other links.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      Not hard to do apparently.

The overall science presented in AIT was correct. This has been verified repeatedly in the following decade. Human inputs have caused the Earth's average temperature to continue to rise rapidly, as does sea level. Ice volume at both poles is decreasing, the amount of precipitation worldwide is increasing (warmer air temp = more evaporation, more moisture in the air). The changes have already cost hundreds of billions of dollars in failed crops and lost seaside land worldwide. They're predicted to cost trillions more in infrastructure damage, look at Miami for a good example. All the squawking from the AGW-deniers is because some of the worst case scenarios didn't occur, lucky for us. That doesn't somehow invalidate all the other scientific findings as AGW denier clowns would have you believe.
      The validity of AGW is not the subject of this thread.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Exactly. Gore took things that may well have been based on legitimate science and pushed it to the extreme
        Regarding the first claim: His assertion is identical to the assertion made by a prominent climate scientist.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Said the guy on his third pot of coffee...
          A confirmed prediction. You're like, a scientist, or something, this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            A confirmed prediction. You're like, a scientist, or something, this morning.
            To be fair, my source was more reliable than Al Gore's source.

Comment

I see you've chosen the better part of valor, and decided against checking Bastasch's other links.
              I'd of been happy to entertain those other links but the first one has already provided more obfuscation and posturing than I care to observe in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Exactly. Gore took things that may well have been based on legitimate science and pushed it to the extreme
                Like drowning New York City under eighty feet of water.

It's going to happen when Greenland melts, which is going to happen.

But by then, New York will have a much different skyline.

Comment

To be fair, my source was more reliable than Al Gore's source.
                  Jesus is coming soon.

Comment

Like drowning New York City under eighty feet of water.
                    That is why I leave my Jeep running all day long.
                    A guy can hope, can't he?

Comment

Jesus is coming soon.
                      At this rate he'll get here before the glacier on Mt. Kilimanjaro is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                        Not hard to do apparently.

The overall science presented in AIT was correct. This has been verified repeatedly in the following decade. Human inputs have caused the Earth's average temperature to continue to rise rapidly, as does sea level. Ice volume at both poles is decreasing, the amount of precipitation worldwide is increasing (warmer air temp = more evaporation, more moisture in the air). The changes have already cost hundreds of billions of dollars in failed crops and lost seaside land worldwide. They're predicted to cost trillions more in infrastructure damage, look at Miami for a good example. All the squawking from the AGW-deniers is because some of the worst case scenarios didn't occur, lucky for us. That doesn't somehow invalidate all the other scientific findings as AGW denier clowns would have you believe.
                        Miami Beach is much worse than Miami. A seawall won't cut it because the ocean percolates straight up through the coral so they're buying pumps.

Big'uns.

Almost all of the sea level rise thus far has been due to thermal expansion.

Comment

At this rate he'll get here before the glacier on Mt. Kilimanjaro is gone.
                          You should stop trusting Wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                            I imagine
                            Always a sound basis for skepticism...
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              Always a sound basis for skepticism...
                              Trout is one of the very few skeptics on this website.
                              The rest are members of a cult of one sort or another.

Comment

Trout is one of the very few skeptics on this website.
                                The rest are members of a cult of one sort or another.
                                Skepticism based on ignorance is just fear. It's a common phenomenon, particularly around here.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment