Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muhammad

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly View Post
    Siam, it appears we are talking past one another. I would be interested in the names of some Muslim scholars you're familiar with. Please list a few notable examples.
    LOL! that is an amusing question---because there are so many scholars, I wouldn't know where to begin---but I will stick to those that communicate in English....

...with regards to the subject of this thread---there is an Atheist who read the Quran and chose to be Muslim---Dr Jeffrey Lang. He recounts his experience here:-

Other scholars are Sh. Hamza Yusuf, Dr Tariq Ramadan, Dr Sayyid Hossein Nasr, Dr William Chittick, Dr Amina Wadud...etc.
    Were you asking for a particular type of scholar, or just a general Islamic scholar? (a few of the above mentioned scholars have blogs...can give links if you want to browse their writing....)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you familiar with Shabir Ally: holds a B.A. in Religious Studies from Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, with a specialization in Biblical Literature. He also holds an M.A. and a Ph.D from the University of Toronto with a specialization in Quranic Exegesis.

http://www.shabirally.com/

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have seen a few of his videos...he is a good scholar---but because he deals in apologetics, and the format of such discourse is necessarily constrained, Islam (its principles, concepts, doctrines) can get a little distorted and/or shallow. Dr Jamal Badawi is another scholar that is enthusiastic about apologetics. It is a good format to dispel misconceptions people may have of the other---but it is not a good way for Muslims to grow in learning about Islam.

So what do you find interesting/irritating about Shabir Ally? As a Christian, do you think the apologetics presented by the Christian side adequately represent Christianity?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by siam View Post
    I have seen a few of his videos...he is a good scholar---but because he deals in apologetics, and the format of such discourse is necessarily constrained, Islam (its principles, concepts, doctrines) can get a little distorted and/or shallow. Dr Jamal Badawi is another scholar that is enthusiastic about apologetics. It is a good format to dispel misconceptions people may have of the other---but it is not a good way for Muslims to grow in learning about Islam.

So what do you find interesting/irritating about Shabir Ally? As a Christian, do you think the apologetics presented by the Christian side adequately represent Christianity?
    I was just wondering what you thought of Shabir, as he seems to be a popular teacher and debater. Yes, I think the popular Christian debaters have adequately represented Christianity. James White in particular has fared very well in many debates with Muslim apologists. Another notable debate would be the debate between Mike Licona and Shabir Ally.

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He has also debated with Craig I think...Many of the Christian speakers speak clearly and it is easy to understand them...they also seem to simplify Christianity to its essence...but what I like the most is that their love for Jesus Christ (pbuh) comes through strongly. Nevertheless, though I can understand how the various pieces of Christian doctrine fit together to make a paradigm...I have failed to make sense of it....despite efforts....and so have mostly given up on understanding it....

Do you know of Gabriel Reynolds? He is a Christian and a scholar who also knows Arabic. His views on Islam/Prophet/Quran are interesting. I do not agree with all his views...but nevertheless they are thought provoking, and for me as a Muslim, give new insights and perspectives to think about my own religion....

Some of his opinions:---

6. Amen Scrawly amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by siam View Post
    He has also debated with Craig I think...Many of the Christian speakers speak clearly and it is easy to understand them...they also seem to simplify Christianity to its essence...but what I like the most is that their love for Jesus Christ (pbuh) comes through strongly. Nevertheless, though I can understand how the various pieces of Christian doctrine fit together to make a paradigm...I have failed to make sense of it....despite efforts....and so have mostly given up on understanding it....

Do you know of Gabriel Reynolds? He is a Christian and a scholar who also knows Arabic. His views on Islam/Prophet/Quran are interesting. I do not agree with all his views...but nevertheless they are thought provoking, and for me as a Muslim, give new insights and perspectives to think about my own religion....

Some of his opinions:---
    One shouldn't be disheartened if they cannot fully comprehend doctrine, especially as it directly pertains to the identity of God, otherwise God wouldn't really be God. By his very nature He transcends our human rational/logical categories. A wise posture to take is to remain open to the revelation he provided of himself - Christian's see this most clearly in the incarnation of Jesus. Perhaps the divine identity is a subject we can talk about in the future.

Take care for now & God bless, Siam.