Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Evidence Skeptics would like to see for the Resurrection Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I know the specifics of many of the purported parallels. I wanted you to post examples that you thought were not 'overstated', simply because it's hard to deal with a broad, general claim of there being parallels, and I wasn't going to go on a tirade about some specific parallels only for you to state that you weren't thinking of those examples, but some other ones.
    No need to list if you know the parallels there is no need for listing specific ones, because the parallels are not in the details of any one specific religion nor culture. The fact is that within each cultural and religious context claims were claims made for resurrection and Virgin birth to glorify those, sometimes Gods, that in some way claimed to be Divine or have Divine authority.

The parallels are not necessarily 'copy cat,' because it is apparently human nature to impart 'immortality,' and miraculous events and abilities to glorify those persons.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-20-2016, 07:11 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• "I will follow up with a list, but 'so what?' that does not change anything."
      Another promise broken, Frank.
      Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam View Post
        "I will follow up with a list, but 'so what?' that does not change anything."
        Another promise broken, Frank.
        Don't tell me you have not seen the list. It is all over the internet in at least twenty sources.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• List of some of the claims of Resurrection that everybody has seen before.

Dionysus
          Persephone
          Osiris
          Odin
          Ganesha
          Lemminkainen
          Tammuz
          Krishna
          Quetzalcoatl
          Attis

OK So what!?!?!?

No need to list if you know the parallels there is no need for listing specific ones, because the parallels are not in the details of any one specific religion nor culture. The fact is that within each cultural and religious context claims were claims made for resurrection and Virgin birth to glorify those, sometimes Gods, that in some way claimed to be Divine or have Divine authority.

The parallels are not necessarily 'copy cat,' because it is apparently human nature to impart 'immortality,' and miraculous events and abilities to glorify those persons.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            I know the specifics of many of the purported parallels. I wanted you to post examples that you thought were not 'overstated', simply because it's hard to deal with a broad, general claim of there being parallels, and I wasn't going to go on a tirade about some specific parallels only for you to state that you weren't thinking of those examples, but some other ones.
            They’re not “parallels” in the sense of what exactly happened when god X was born and died compared to god Y. Rather they were expectations by gullible people in a superstitious era of the sorts of qualities that deities would possess in general. And any half-decent deity was expected to be accompanied by miracles, wonders and signs to set him or her above ordinary folk. In this sense Jesus the god/man fulfilled the standard expectations of the day.
            Last edited by Tassman; 05-21-2016, 05:31 AM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              They’re not “parallels” in the sense of what exactly happened when god X was born and died compared to god Y. Rather they were expectations by gullible people in a superstitious era of the sorts of qualities that deities would possess in general. And any half-decent deity was expected to be accompanied by miracles, wonders and signs to set him or her above ordinary folk. In this sense Jesus the god/man fulfilled the standard expectations of the day.
              Correct claiming they are 'copy cat' or maybe parallels is not the issue. It is more the common thread in human nature that in many cultures and religions immortalized the heroes in each ancient culture and religion equated with miracles, Divine claims, Virgin birth, and immortality, and Resurrection.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-21-2016, 10:05 PM.

Frank

Comment

• Tassman,

Jesus was not a "god/man" anything like the pagan myths. He was a man (Luke 18:19). That he was God in the flesh (John 8:24) he was still a mortal man in that he could die (John 10:18) though it is claimed that he died by his own volition (Luke 23:46). Nothing like the pagan god/man myths.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  Tassman,

Jesus was not a "god/man" anything like the pagan myths. He was a man (Luke 18:19). That he was God in the flesh (John 8:24) he was still a mortal man in that he could die (John 10:18) though it is claimed that he died by his own volition (Luke 23:46). Nothing like the pagan god/man myths.
                  You’ve missed the point that Christian mythology, whilst not paralleling pagan myths in great detail, nevertheless has all the features common to the prescientific worldview regarding gods and mythical heroes, namely the expectation that they would perform miracles and be surrounded by wonders and signs. All the best gods and super-heroes had these qualities.

As for Jesus being a god/man, according to the Doctrine of the Hypostatic Union, ratified at the first Council of Ephesus in 431 CE, Jesus has two complete natures. He’s simultaneously fully god and fully man...in short a god/man.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    Tassman,

You're still missing the point. It is not a question of being the same of similar with pagan myths.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                      Dear Christians. Don't you see? The reason that the Resurrection appearances were only to believers and to one non-believer on a dark, desert highway is because they didn't ever happen! These stories are most likely legends, or, inventions by the Gospel authors for theological purposes. Think, guys! The preponderance of evidence points to these miracle claims as being fiction.
                      I don't know what you mean by "legends", I generally find them trustworthy.

As for "inventions by the Gospel authors" - how did they persuade Christians who had been around before that they had believed it all along, if they hadn't?

As for preponderance of evidence, there is sufficient evidence (if you don't systematically censor anything which smells of "legend") that miracles happen, and all being healed who pray for it is not a requiremet of its being credible.

Miracles are not tested like physicians test drugs, they are public events and to be tested like you test other allegations of how public events have happened, like assassination of Archduke Ferdinand in Sarajevo.
                      http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        The author of Mark is a Gentile Christian living in Antioch or Rome who had never stepped foot in Palestine; never knew Jesus; and had never met any of the Eleven or Paul. He was a devout Christian who wanted to spread the Good News of Jesus...as he knew it, based on the legends circulating about Jesus at the time in his region of the world.
                        Yea, sure. Christianity being "legends circulating" among ... whom, exactly?

Pagans? Jews? Christians?

If among Christians, how did they start "circulating" in the first place, and what did it take for a legend to circulate among them?

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        In circa 75 AD, "Mark" writes a book about Jesus. It isn't meant to be a historical biography. It is meant as a first century version of a Jack Chick gospel tract with exciting stories and devious supernatural beings and spectacular supernatural events all for the purpose of extolling the virtues of Jesus of Nazareth. This is why Paul never mentions any of Jesus' miracles in any of his epistles: Because no one on earth in the 50's and 60's AD had ever heard of any miracles by Jesus!
                        The parts of Jack Chick which are systematically just invented, are systematically not the part that there are miracles, but the Anticatholicism + his Protestant misunderstandings of Justification, driven to extremes by his anticatholicism, unless it is the reverse. What he peddles by Avro Manhattan is strictly not supernatural at all, but as fictional as Harry Potter.

Pope Gregory, on the other hand (590-604), promised Queen Brunhilda remission of her sins.

"The most Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles.. will cause thee to appear pure of all stain before the judge everlasting" (2) as long as she granted him, Gregory, what he asked of her, that, money, real estates, and investitures which yielded abundant revenues to the Church: a practice which became a tradition during the oncoming centuries.
                        And note (2) is "St. Gregory, Letter 65"

The problem is, even if it sounds like a reference, it isn't.

I quoted the above on my post where I also looked, very systematically for this reference "St. Gregory, Letter 65 ".

... here are the SEVERAL letters 65 of each book having one:

Book III, Letter 65
                        http://newadvent.com/fathers/360203065.htm

To Mauricius Augustus.

Book VI, Letter 65
                        http://newadvent.com/fathers/360206065.htm

To Mauricius, Emperor.

Book IX, Letter 65
                        http://newadvent.com/fathers/360209065.htm

To Januarius, Bishop of Caralis (Cagliari).

Book XI, Letter 65
                        http://newadvent.com/fathers/360211065.htm

To Augustine, Bishop of the Angli .

There was none of the several letters 65 which was to Brunhilda.
                        http://greatbishopofgeneva.blogspot....nstantine.html

Nevertheless, Avro Manhattan being on Chick Tracts doesn't make his work in the least "infected" with the supernatural. But it is still as fictional as Harry Potter.
                        http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

• See where it says 'banned' under Gary's name? That means he won't be replying to your post.
                          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
                            Miracles are not tested like physicians test drugs, they are public events and to be tested like you test other allegations of how public events have happened, like assassination of Archduke Ferdinand in Sarajevo.
                            Are you suggesting that the evidence for Jesus' resurrection is about as good as the evidence for Ferdinand's assassination?

Comment