Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bars and Nightclubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bars and Nightclubs

Is it morally permissible to go to bars and nightclubs? I was just wondering because sometimes I hear people say, "Before I came to Christ, I used to go to bars and nightclubs." or "After I became a Christian, I gave up my party lifestyle and stopped going to nightclubs."

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
    Is it morally permissible to go to bars and nightclubs? I was just wondering because sometimes I hear people say, "Before I came to Christ, I used to go to bars and nightclubs." or "After I became a Christian, I gave up my party lifestyle and stopped going to nightclubs."
    Sure, it is generally permissible. It may not always be wise, depending on how particular individuals react to particular temptations. Some such people may experience the inward conviction that it is not permissible *for them.*
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

You also have to consider what may be a stumbling block to young believers.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Yeah, that. You may only be going in there for a Sarsaparilla, but people who see you go in or out won't know that. So much bad stuff happens in bars - I just don't see any reason for a Christian to do that. Personally, I think this is one of those things that are "legal but not expedient".

1 Cor 10:23
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Assuming that 1) said young believers know you personally (and thus know you're a Christian), 2) happen to catch sight of you entering/leaving a bar, and 3) believe that doing so is wrong, sure.

On the other hand, Jesus hung out with tax collectors and sinners, which is roughly analogous to hanging out in bars IMO.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Assuming that 1) said young believers know you personally (and thus know you're a Christian), 2) happen to catch sight of you entering/leaving a bar, and 3) believe that doing so is wrong, sure.

On the other hand, Jesus hung out with tax collectors and sinners, which is roughly analogous to hanging out in bars IMO.
            And if you're there as the designated driver...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I disagree. I don't think Jesus "hung out" with tax collectors and sinners in any way the same manner that one would go into, and spend time hanging out in, a place that exists for the primary purpose of serving alcohol. If a Christian were going into a bar or night club to "seek and to save those which were lost", you might have a point.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I assumed all that in what I said. And yes, Jesus did so, but I am not He, nor is any other Christian.

Nowhere did I imply that we are to huddle ourselves away from unbelievers, and never interact with them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I disagree. I don't think Jesus "hung out" with tax collectors and sinners in any way the same manner that one would go into, and spend time hanging out in, a place that exists for the primary purpose of serving alcohol. If a Christian were going into a bar or night club to "seek and to save those which were lost", you might have a point.
                  From a Pharisaic POV, there isn't much distinction, if any. Jesus "hung out" with tax collectors and sinners where they were. I do know of people who do that. On the other hand, I don't think that going to a bar to hang out is wrong in and of itself, though it's wrong to get drunk while doing so and I wouldn't make a habit of it because it's not cheap.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From a Pharisaic POV, there isn't much distinction, if any. Jesus "hung out" with tax collectors and sinners where they were.
                    Can you provide an example where he went with them to a place of business that served alcohol as its primary purpose for being in business?

I do know of people who do that.
                    Yes, and I can think of one or two famous ones whose lives were ruined by it.

On the other hand, I don't think that going to a bar to hang out is wrong in and of itself, though it's wrong to get drunk while doing so and I wouldn't make a habit of it because it's not cheap.
                    Jesus did not adopt the methods, habits or customs of the sinners to whom He ministered. He called them to repentance - he told them to "sin no more". This notion that He "hung out with" sinners is, in my opinion, both wrong and dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      And a Christian on a mission to the lost in bars would not be wise to go alone.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'm with moss and CP.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

We need more Christians in bars. Get in there!
                          The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                            It would definitely change the environment in there.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                              I went to a basketball game at a Catholic high school and they were selling beer at the concession stand. And also they have Catholic "picnics" where people go to eat, play games (like gambling! I won $30 and a Cheesecake!) and they sell beer there too. Does that count?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X