Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

I had three incidents where my fridge didn't work. After the first time, the adjustment the guy made did work (nice guy really - he rather made the temperature recommendations than have me buy a whole new one). But in the last year alone, I found the box very warm and only after a day did it work again after I adjusted something on the temp controls , and a couple of weeks ago, I think, I suspect the temps went haywire again because the food just wasn't right.

Since I had got it as a gift back in probably 1998 it didn't cost me anything. I do have money to replace it. I was debating on waiting until the thing finally died, but as a friend pointed out, losing all that food isn't such a great idea either. So, off I go to find MAYBE a bottom freezer model with a few drawers and no beverage center.

Share your stories while I search.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    First of all, I took measurements of the cubic foots before I realized there was a label on the inside wall, which supposedly gives the measurements. Maybe not on my model....it was info on the compressor .

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm hoping the freebie I got from my aunt 10 years ago keeps on ticking for a while yet. My A/C unit went out, and I'm getting by with a dehumidifier until I can afford to get that fixed.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Refrigerators are one of those things that used to be so simple - and relatively inexpensive.

When you add the ice maker, cold water dispenser, multiple drawers, vegetable crisper.... wow, the price can escalate.

The last fridge we bought was one of the "double door" ones - I hate it. If you open the door to get mustard, it's on the other side of the fridge than the door you opened. Oh, and our current house has a wall on the left side of the fridge that extends slightly forward of the left side hinges of the fridge - so the left door can't open all the way out. Be sure to check door swing - left / right - "flat hinge", etc...

The fridge we had before that had one top door, and a couple of "drawers" on the bottom for frozen stuff - I REALLY liked that!

ETA: Oh, and the ice maker - if it includes a "chopper" or "crushed ice" dispenser - that mechanism can take up a LOT of room that would otherwise be frozen food storage room.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm sorry about the A/C, OBP. Especially with the summer coming up.

LOL CP. On the mustard thing....stop moving it around.

The door thing is always something to remember! Fortunately it's not a very big deal in my kitchen but I do have a massive pantry on one side, so it would be good to have the door open on that side.

Since I'm not looking for a beverage center, ice maker isn't an issue.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And it seem Energy Star models are more expensive!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I'm sorry about the A/C, OBP. Especially with the summer coming up.

LOL CP. On the mustard thing....stop moving it around.

The door thing is always something to remember! Fortunately it's not a very big deal in my kitchen but I do have a massive pantry on one side, so it would be good to have the door open on that side.

Since I'm not looking for a beverage center, ice maker isn't an issue.
    If you don't need the ice maker - or you only need a SIMPLE ice maker - you don't have to be in the BIG EXPENSIVE units... I think it's the automatic crushed ice stuff that really starts to add to the cost, and uses up room inside the freezer.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Anybody try to get one secondhand? I've my own experiences and they weren't happy.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    All the fridges we looked at a few years ago, and the fridge we replaced, had doors that could be moved to open either way. Check on that too.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

10. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    All the fridges we looked at a few years ago, and the fridge we replaced, had doors that could be moved to open either way. Check on that too.
    Yes, if you get the single door models*, they are almost always universal - can be left or right opening.

*single door for the fridge and single door for the freezer

12. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.