Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

I had three incidents where my fridge didn't work. After the first time, the adjustment the guy made did work (nice guy really - he rather made the temperature recommendations than have me buy a whole new one). But in the last year alone, I found the box very warm and only after a day did it work again after I adjusted something on the temp controls , and a couple of weeks ago, I think, I suspect the temps went haywire again because the food just wasn't right.

Since I had got it as a gift back in probably 1998 it didn't cost me anything. I do have money to replace it. I was debating on waiting until the thing finally died, but as a friend pointed out, losing all that food isn't such a great idea either. So, off I go to find MAYBE a bottom freezer model with a few drawers and no beverage center.

Share your stories while I search.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

First of all, I took measurements of the cubic foots before I realized there was a label on the inside wall, which supposedly gives the measurements. Maybe not on my model....it was info on the compressor .

Comment

I'm hoping the freebie I got from my aunt 10 years ago keeps on ticking for a while yet. My A/C unit went out, and I'm getting by with a dehumidifier until I can afford to get that fixed.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Refrigerators are one of those things that used to be so simple - and relatively inexpensive.

When you add the ice maker, cold water dispenser, multiple drawers, vegetable crisper.... wow, the price can escalate.

The last fridge we bought was one of the "double door" ones - I hate it. If you open the door to get mustard, it's on the other side of the fridge than the door you opened. Oh, and our current house has a wall on the left side of the fridge that extends slightly forward of the left side hinges of the fridge - so the left door can't open all the way out. Be sure to check door swing - left / right - "flat hinge", etc...

The fridge we had before that had one top door, and a couple of "drawers" on the bottom for frozen stuff - I REALLY liked that!

ETA: Oh, and the ice maker - if it includes a "chopper" or "crushed ice" dispenser - that mechanism can take up a LOT of room that would otherwise be frozen food storage room.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm sorry about the A/C, OBP. Especially with the summer coming up.

LOL CP. On the mustard thing....stop moving it around.

The door thing is always something to remember! Fortunately it's not a very big deal in my kitchen but I do have a massive pantry on one side, so it would be good to have the door open on that side.

Since I'm not looking for a beverage center, ice maker isn't an issue.

Comment

And it seem Energy Star models are more expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              I'm sorry about the A/C, OBP. Especially with the summer coming up.

LOL CP. On the mustard thing....stop moving it around.

The door thing is always something to remember! Fortunately it's not a very big deal in my kitchen but I do have a massive pantry on one side, so it would be good to have the door open on that side.

Since I'm not looking for a beverage center, ice maker isn't an issue.
              If you don't need the ice maker - or you only need a SIMPLE ice maker - you don't have to be in the BIG EXPENSIVE units... I think it's the automatic crushed ice stuff that really starts to add to the cost, and uses up room inside the freezer.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Anybody try to get one secondhand? I've my own experiences and they weren't happy.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  All the fridges we looked at a few years ago, and the fridge we replaced, had doors that could be moved to open either way. Check on that too.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    All the fridges we looked at a few years ago, and the fridge we replaced, had doors that could be moved to open either way. Check on that too.
                    Yes, if you get the single door models*, they are almost always universal - can be left or right opening.

*single door for the fridge and single door for the freezer

Comment

1. most refrigerators can be modified to open the door the opposite way, you can ask the place you buy it from to do it for you before delivery.
                      2. I got my refrigerator (one of those two door models where the freezer is on the left and refrigerator on the right) at a Bargain Supply store. it was a local store that sold scratch and dent models and overstock. I saw nothing at all wrong with mine. If there was a scratch it wasn't on the front. I saved about $200 over a retail model. So check to see if you have anything like that in your area. Or even ask a regular appliance store if they have any scratch and dent models. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they will sell the demo models on the floor.

I like my fridge, but the freezer part was really too small for me. I ended up buying a seperate freezer. I like to buy and cook in bulk and freeze stuff for later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I like my fridge, but the freezer part was really too small for me. I ended up buying a seperate freezer. I like to buy and cook in bulk and freeze stuff for later.
                        That's actually a good point - if there's a possibility you will buy a small chest freezer (or upright) you can ignore the "gee what a big freezer compartment this one has" claims.

One of the fridges we owned had a door on the main door - so you could open the smaller door to get frequently used items like milk, mustard, ketchup, salad dressings, etc without opening the whole fridge.

Like this - but ours wasn't quite that fancy.

lg-door-in-door-0917-970x623.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          That's actually a good point - if there's a possibility you will buy a small chest freezer (or upright) you can ignore the "gee what a big freezer compartment this one has" claims.

One of the fridges we owned had a door on the main door - so you could open the smaller door to get frequently used items like milk, mustard, ketchup, salad dressings, etc without opening the whole fridge.

Like this - but ours wasn't quite that fancy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15488[/ATTACH]
                          getting a standalone freezer was one of the best things ever. I keep the frequently used stuff in my refrigerator's freezer and the longer term stuff in my upright freezer. AND I got a frost-free one. Definitely recommend that feature for standalone freezers or regular refrigerator/freezers. worth the extra money.

I like to buy meat and things in bulk when they are on sale and freeze them for later. I have one of those vacuum sealers and that really makes frozen things last a long time. I recently defrosted some ribs I found in my freezer that were over two years old and they were still fresh and not freezer burned.

I think my next fridge will be something like your picture above. Not so sure about the big freezer drawer though. seems like you would have to dig down through a pile to find stuff. But mine should last about 10 more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Not so sure about the big freezer drawer though. seems like you would have to dig down through a pile to find stuff. But mine should last about 10 more years.
                            Yeah, I bet it has sliding bins or drawers in it, but a lot of them have multiple "bottom drawers" -- and, yeah, commonly accessed frozen stuff like ice cream, toaster strudels, and stuff like that in the fridge/freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Yeah, I bet it has sliding bins or drawers in it, but a lot of them have multiple "bottom drawers" -- and, yeah, commonly accessed frozen stuff like ice cream, toaster strudels, and stuff like that in the fridge/freezer.
                              I want one of those fancy internet of things fridges, that automagically scans things and reorders them when they run low, and cooks dinner for you and comforts you when you are feeling low. "Here let me make you a nice bowl of chicken soup. Beeep"

Comment