Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    1. most refrigerators can be modified to open the door the opposite way, you can ask the place you buy it from to do it for you before delivery.
    2. I got my refrigerator (one of those two door models where the freezer is on the left and refrigerator on the right) at a Bargain Supply store. it was a local store that sold scratch and dent models and overstock. I saw nothing at all wrong with mine. If there was a scratch it wasn't on the front. I saved about $200 over a retail model. So check to see if you have anything like that in your area. Or even ask a regular appliance store if they have any scratch and dent models. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they will sell the demo models on the floor.

I like my fridge, but the freezer part was really too small for me. I ended up buying a seperate freezer. I like to buy and cook in bulk and freeze stuff for later.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I like my fridge, but the freezer part was really too small for me. I ended up buying a seperate freezer. I like to buy and cook in bulk and freeze stuff for later.
    That's actually a good point - if there's a possibility you will buy a small chest freezer (or upright) you can ignore the "gee what a big freezer compartment this one has" claims.

One of the fridges we owned had a door on the main door - so you could open the smaller door to get frequently used items like milk, mustard, ketchup, salad dressings, etc without opening the whole fridge.

Like this - but ours wasn't quite that fancy.

lg-door-in-door-0917-970x623.jpg

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's actually a good point - if there's a possibility you will buy a small chest freezer (or upright) you can ignore the "gee what a big freezer compartment this one has" claims.

One of the fridges we owned had a door on the main door - so you could open the smaller door to get frequently used items like milk, mustard, ketchup, salad dressings, etc without opening the whole fridge.

Like this - but ours wasn't quite that fancy.

lg-door-in-door-0917-970x623.jpg
    getting a standalone freezer was one of the best things ever. I keep the frequently used stuff in my refrigerator's freezer and the longer term stuff in my upright freezer. AND I got a frost-free one. Definitely recommend that feature for standalone freezers or regular refrigerator/freezers. worth the extra money.

I like to buy meat and things in bulk when they are on sale and freeze them for later. I have one of those vacuum sealers and that really makes frozen things last a long time. I recently defrosted some ribs I found in my freezer that were over two years old and they were still fresh and not freezer burned.

I think my next fridge will be something like your picture above. Not so sure about the big freezer drawer though. seems like you would have to dig down through a pile to find stuff. But mine should last about 10 more years.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Not so sure about the big freezer drawer though. seems like you would have to dig down through a pile to find stuff. But mine should last about 10 more years.
    Yeah, I bet it has sliding bins or drawers in it, but a lot of them have multiple "bottom drawers" -- and, yeah, commonly accessed frozen stuff like ice cream, toaster strudels, and stuff like that in the fridge/freezer.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I bet it has sliding bins or drawers in it, but a lot of them have multiple "bottom drawers" -- and, yeah, commonly accessed frozen stuff like ice cream, toaster strudels, and stuff like that in the fridge/freezer.
    I want one of those fancy internet of things fridges, that automagically scans things and reorders them when they run low, and cooks dinner for you and comforts you when you are feeling low. "Here let me make you a nice bowl of chicken soup. Beeep"

6. Amen DesertBerean, Carrikature amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

8. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What kind of vacuum freezer do you have? I have to admit I'm toying with the idea of a chest freezer myself...but with the new fridge ...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    What kind of vacuum freezer do you have? I have to admit I'm toying with the idea of a chest freezer myself...but with the new fridge ...
    What's a vacuum freezer?

I have a frigidair upright freezer like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_643964-2251-...=50273101&pl=1

If you meant Vacuum sealer, I have a FoodSaver, looks similar to this but white: http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-seal...sz=25&start=17

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Bhwhahaha. ..I must been more tired than I thought I was last night. I meant vacuum sealer.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Bhwhahaha. ..I must been more tired than I thought I was last night. I meant vacuum sealer.
    Another advantage to using one is that the food doesn't "crystalize" - you can still see what's in the see-through bag because it's not covered with ice crystals.