Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hero.jpg

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/fa...ator/?cid=ppc-

Comment

What kind of vacuum freezer do you have? I have to admit I'm toying with the idea of a chest freezer myself...but with the new fridge ...
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        What kind of vacuum freezer do you have? I have to admit I'm toying with the idea of a chest freezer myself...but with the new fridge ...
        What's a vacuum freezer?

I have a frigidair upright freezer like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_643964-2251-...=50273101&pl=1

If you meant Vacuum sealer, I have a FoodSaver, looks similar to this but white: http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-seal...sz=25&start=17

Comment

Bhwhahaha. ..I must been more tired than I thought I was last night. I meant vacuum sealer.

Comment

Bhwhahaha. ..I must been more tired than I thought I was last night. I meant vacuum sealer.
            Another advantage to using one is that the food doesn't "crystalize" - you can still see what's in the see-through bag because it's not covered with ice crystals.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Another advantage to using one is that the food doesn't "crystalize" - you can still see what's in the see-through bag because it's not covered with ice crystals.
              yep. I think that is also what keeps it from freezer burning. No air to dehydrate the food (which is what freezer burning is)

The vacuum sealer is also good for other storage things. I have some canisters that came with mine. It helps in marinating meats, keeping food fresher longer (like salads), storing things in the pantry (like flour, sugar, noodles and crackers so they don't go stale)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                yep. I think that is also what keeps it from freezer burning. No air to dehydrate the food (which is what freezer burning is)

The vacuum sealer is also good for other storage things. I have some canisters that came with mine. It helps in marinating meats, keeping food fresher longer (like salads), storing things in the pantry (like flour, sugar, noodles and crackers so they don't go stale)
                Yup, I use the marinating function - it helps to draw the marinade into the meat.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hm...canisters? How does that work, especially with stuff that goes everywhere like flour?

Comment

Hm...canisters? How does that work, especially with stuff that goes everywhere like flour?
                    It's a plastic container like tupperware, with a fitting on the top that attaches to a hose that goes to the vacuum unit. There's a check valve in the fitting, so that you suck the air out, then when you disconnect the hose, the vacuum stays until you push that little vent nipple, and let the air equalize.

canisters.jpg
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-11-2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

foodsaver_canisters.jpg

the vacuum sealer machine comes with a hose that attaches to the lid on the canister and sucks out the air. Flour and powders are not a problem because it doesn't suck the air out fast enough to cause any turbulence. You just have to leave a bit of room at the top.

The canisters are good for items that would be crushed if you tried to use the bags. Like bread. If you put some buns or bagels in a bag and vacuum sealed it, it would flatten them out into dough. The atmosphere is 15 lbs per square inch. Also, if you notice a crack in a canister, toss it away because it could implode and shatter when you vacuum the air out.

oh and another useful attachment (usually sold extra) is the mason jar sealer. you put the flat lid on the mason jar, not the screw down part, and put the suction adapter over the mouth of the jar and it sucks out the air and seals it. Then you can put the screw part on to make sure it stays sealed. You have to use a spoon to pry off the lid when you want to open it. mason jars make cheap canisters.

DSCN4741.jpg

Comment

Wow. I may postpone getting a chest freezer in favor of a vacuum sealer then. I did some pricing just now, and Food saver (which seems to be a leader) was about 130 - 200ish.

Comment

Wow. I may postpone getting a chest freezer in favor of a vacuum sealer then. I did some pricing just now, and Food saver (which seems to be a leader) was about 130 - 200ish.
                          Do you have a ... hm.... what's that store my wife and daughter love...... Kohls!!!!

They often will have a 30% discount coupon off their already competitive sale price.

Comment

Lol...there is a Kohls in Victorville. ROAD TRIP!!!!!

Comment

I think I paid around $400 for my upright freezer but that was about 5 years ago and it was on sale. (got it at Lowes)

Just so you know. I have gone through about 3 foodsavers. They have a 5 year replacement warranty. But no repair warranty. If it breaks they just replace it. So if it breaks after 5 years, you have to buy a new one because they don't do repairs. But a 5 year warranty is pretty good.

tip: if you have a goodwill or thrift store around, check to see if they have any foodsavers there. I bought one of mine at a Goodwill store for $20, and it was still in the box. It stopped working a week after I got it, so I called foodsaver and they replaced it under the warranty since it was bought "new" (I guess some department store gave some scratch and dent models to Goodwill but as far as foodsaver was concerned it was new). But even if you don't find something "new" - buying a used one cheap might be worth it to see if you like it or not. Sometimes people will give them away if the accessory port (the hose for the canisters) stops working, but the regular sealing part still works., or they might just want a newer model and give away their old one. And most thrift stores will allow you to return an item if it is broken.

Comment

Uprights cost more than chest models. I saw a chest model at Home Depot for 199. It was a small one - 9 cu ft ? But it's just one of me so that's an attractive deal.

The fun thing about our thrift stores here is organization of their wares. As in lack of. But that's a good suggestion. I just saw an almost full case of mason jars yesterday. I may start stocking up with that.

Comment