Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, a small chest freezer is probably ideal for you... just don't get used to stacking stuff on the lid.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think I paid around $400 for my upright freezer but that was about 5 years ago and it was on sale. (got it at Lowes)

Just so you know. I have gone through about 3 foodsavers. They have a 5 year replacement warranty. But no repair warranty. If it breaks they just replace it. So if it breaks after 5 years, you have to buy a new one because they don't do repairs. But a 5 year warranty is pretty good.

tip: if you have a goodwill or thrift store around, check to see if they have any foodsavers there. I bought one of mine at a Goodwill store for $20, and it was still in the box. It stopped working a week after I got it, so I called foodsaver and they replaced it under the warranty since it was bought "new" (I guess some department store gave some scratch and dent models to Goodwill but as far as foodsaver was concerned it was new). But even if you don't find something "new" - buying a used one cheap might be worth it to see if you like it or not. Sometimes people will give them away if the accessory port (the hose for the canisters) stops working, but the regular sealing part still works., or they might just want a newer model and give away their old one. And most thrift stores will allow you to return an item if it is broken.
      is the five year warranty extra? I would think not - you really got a great deal with that one from the thrift.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

MEANWHILE, I may be in the market for a new fridge!

The potential buyer of our home is interested in buying our fridge.

A) We don't have to move that big heavy thing
        2) We were kinda tired of the way it's set up
        C) We were thinking about getting a new one anyway!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          is the five year warranty extra? I would think not - you really got a great deal with that one from the thrift.
          Sparko employs the same "It doesn't cost anything to ask" strategy that I do. I have been pleasantly surprised, at times, what manufacturers will do to keep customers happy.

Comment

Uprights cost more than chest models. I saw a chest model at Home Depot for 199. It was a small one - 9 cu ft ? But it's just one of me so that's an attractive deal.

The fun thing about our thrift stores here is organization of their wares. As in lack of. But that's a good suggestion. I just saw an almost full case of mason jars yesterday. I may start stocking up with that.
            Just remember that vacuum sealing is not a replacement for canning. You can't just vacuum seal something like green beans and pop it on the shelf. It would last longer than not vacuum sealing, but it would still spoil. Canning heats the food, sterilizing it. You could vacuum the jar after the canning process, but I think canning automatically creates a good vacuum as the air in the jar cools down. Vacuum sealing is best for dry goods, or liquid goods but stored in the refrigerator. I made some salsa last year and then vacuum sealed it in mason jars and put it in the refrigerator. It lasted at least 6 months. Might have lasted longer, but I ate most of it, and after 6 months, I was worried so I tossed the rest away, but it still looked good (no mold or bad smell)

I like my upright freezer because it has shelves and drawers like a refrigerator, making it a lot easier to organize things and not have to dig down through a pile of stuff to find the item you are looking for.

Comment

no the 5 year warranty is standard. I think if you use certain credit cards, the credit card company sometimes will extend or even double a warranty but I don't know how that works. Something to look into though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Sparko employs the same "It doesn't cost anything to ask" strategy that I do. I have been pleasantly surprised, at times, what manufacturers will do to keep customers happy.
                yep. And when that one eventually broke (after the 5 year warranty!! ) last year, I called them up and gave them heck about not repairing it, even if I was willing to pay for it. The accessory pump stopped working, but the rest of it worked fine. I even tried to repair it myself but no luck. Anyway, they apologized and explained that it wasn't cost effective to repair them and that is why they had a 5 year replacement warranty, but... they would sell me a new model at a discounted price. So, I bought another one, for about $170 (I think it was a $200 model with accessories and stuff) and now I have another 5 year warranty. Seems worth it.

I gave the partially broke one to my brother.

Comment

no the 5 year warranty is standard. I think if you use certain credit cards, the credit card company sometimes will extend or even double a warranty but I don't know how that works. Something to look into though.
                  Yes some do.

Comment

yep. And when that one eventually broke (after the 5 year warranty!! ) last year, I called them up and gave them heck about not repairing it, even if I was willing to pay for it. The accessory pump stopped working, but the rest of it worked fine. I even tried to repair it myself but no luck. Anyway, they apologized and explained that it wasn't cost effective to repair them and that is why they had a 5 year replacement warranty, but... they would sell me a new model at a discounted price. So, I bought another one, for about $170 (I think it was a $200 model with accessories and stuff) and now I have another 5 year warranty. Seems worth it.

I gave the partially broke one to my brother.
                    I think my favorite example of this kind of customer service is Wagner. I bought a Wagner Flexio 590 paint sprayer. The thing was amazing - it worked WAY better than I ever imagined, and I used it all weekend.

Then I switched paint colors, and I used a gallon of paint that was really old and "goopy". I didn't properly thin it, thinking I would "make do". Well, comedy of errors, I ended up - MY OWN FAULT - getting goopy paint sucked into the motor, which sparked and died.

I called the manufacturer, and the guy answered the phone on the first ring. I explained what I did, admitting it was MY FAULT. He was very polite, and asked if I could ship him just that part because he wanted to see it. I again reminded him that I had done something dumb, and was just asking if I could buy a replacement part. He said, "send it to me and let me look at it, because what you're describing shouldn't be allowed to happen".

I sent the ruined part, and within a few days, he Fed-Exed the ENTIRE NEW KIT, including all accessories just like I would buy it new at Lowe's. Am I a loyal Wagner customer? You bet!

Comment

Bhwhahaha. ... I posted a request in my FB for any vacuum sealer...and a friend suggested a manual one. I imagine that would work for a few things...

Comment

Bhwhahaha. ... I posted a request in my FB for any vacuum sealer...and a friend suggested a manual one. I imagine that would work for a few things...
                        Yeah, but that gets really old - been there, done that.

Comment

Just remember that vacuum sealing is not a replacement for canning. You can't just vacuum seal something like green beans and pop it on the shelf. It would last longer than not vacuum sealing, but it would still spoil. Canning heats the food, sterilizing it. You could vacuum the jar after the canning process, but I think canning automatically creates a good vacuum as the air in the jar cools down. Vacuum sealing is best for dry goods, or liquid goods but stored in the refrigerator. I made some salsa last year and then vacuum sealed it in mason jars and put it in the refrigerator. It lasted at least 6 months. Might have lasted longer, but I ate most of it, and after 6 months, I was worried so I tossed the rest away, but it still looked good (no mold or bad smell)

I like my upright freezer because it has shelves and drawers like a refrigerator, making it a lot easier to organize things and not have to dig down through a pile of stuff to find the item you are looking for.
                          Do you can?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Yeah, but that gets really old - been there, done that.
                            To be fair, this friend is a very thrifty lady. She is also a fellow bread machine user.

Comment

To be fair, this friend is a very thrifty lady. She is also a fellow bread machine user.
                              It might be a good start. I have a manual meat marinater - a plastic tub with a lid, and you press the manual vacuum device to the top and pump the air out. I used that before I started using my foodsaver.

Comment

Do you can?
                                I thought about it last summer, but never bought the equipment. I didn't think it was worth the trouble since I couldn't think of too many things I would can in the first place other than the salsa. I do like to dehydrate stuff with my dehydrator. I make jerky, and dried fruit mostly. I even made sweet potato chews for my dog.

Comment