Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I thought about it last summer, but never bought the equipment. I didn't think it was worth the trouble since I couldn't think of too many things I would can in the first place other than the salsa. I do like to dehydrate stuff with my dehydrator. I make jerky, and dried fruit mostly. I even made sweet potato chews for my dog.
    Canning was WAY more practical when fresh fruits and veggies weren't available pretty much any season due to refrigerated transportation.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Canning was WAY more practical when fresh fruits and veggies weren't available pretty much any season due to refrigerated transportation.
      yeah if you grow your own fruit and vegetables it makes sense, or if you are good at making soups and sauces and want to can them for later. But the only thing I grow are hot peppers and I pickle them or dehydrate them for seasoning. Like I said I make salsa and that would be nice to can, but it just seems like a lot of expense and effort for a few jars of salsa that already last 6 months in the refrigerator. I usually eat it all before it can go bad.

My granny used to can a lot because they had a little farm. And I know some people who do it for fun and to give away things to friends.

Comment

yeah if you grow your own fruit and vegetables it makes sense, or if you are good at making soups and sauces and want to can them for later. But the only thing I grow are hot peppers and I pickle them or dehydrate them for seasoning. Like I said I make salsa and that would be nice to can, but it just seems like a lot of expense and effort for a few jars of salsa that already last 6 months in the refrigerator. I usually eat it all before it can go bad.

My granny used to can a lot because they had a little farm. And I know some people who do it for fun and to give away things to friends.
        I think it's a dying art. My wife's gramma had a farm, AND a "fruit cellar" in West Virginia - we used to love to go down in the fruit cellar in the summer, which was pretty much a "built out cave", and was always about 50 degrees regardless of outdoor temps.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Reminds me I need to go to the local farm store to see if they have any interesting hot pepper plants. I was trying to grow some from seed, and it is working, but they are taking way too long. just now starting to sprout. By the time they make peppers it will be july! If I can find some that were started in greenhouses I will have a head start. This year I am wanting to grow jalepenos and Thai hot peppers. I grew habeneros last year but I didn't really care for their taste when pickled.

Comment

I think it's a dying art. My wife's gramma had a farm, AND a "fruit cellar" in West Virginia - we used to love to go down in the fruit cellar in the summer, which was pretty much a "built out cave", and was always about 50 degrees regardless of outdoor temps.
            I don't know that it's dying, at least not locally. Our Walmart has a healthy section of mason jars etc and a canner/cooker.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              I don't know that it's dying, at least not locally. Our Walmart has a healthy section of mason jars etc and a canner/cooker.
              Maybe not, but mason jars are used for a lot more than just canning --- all kinds of crafts use mason jars. And many 'southern themed" restaurants use them for iced tea and cold drinks.

Comment

Maybe not, but mason jars are used for a lot more than just canning --- all kinds of crafts use mason jars. And many 'southern themed" restaurants use them for iced tea and cold drinks.
                They're even used to sell faux moonshine.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

images-9.jpegimages-8.jpegBhwhahaha. ..the first thrift shop did actually show me two very well preserved (manuals and all) boxes of...food storage kits. Not vacuum sealers...just sealers. I remember us having one during the 70s. I was tempted to buy them just because they're well nigh collectors items...boxes and manuals were yellowy but in great condition.
                  Last edited by DesertBerean; 05-11-2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Our electric company has a Energy Star rebate program. Replace a fridge with an Energy Star rated one, get a $100 rebate on the price. If I should get a discount on, say a dented one, that could net me a good deal. Dunno...Energy Star models are so expensive for some reason .

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      Our electric company has a Energy Star rebate program. Replace a fridge with an Energy Star rated one, get a $100 rebate on the price. If I should get a discount on, say a dented one, that could net me a good deal. Dunno...Energy Star models are so expensive for some reason .
                      I thought nowadays they were all energy star. Just different ratings.

Comment

hey even if you don't find a dented model, haggle the price. Like cars, most appliance salesmen will haggle with you within reason. If not, go somewhere else. Like cowpoke says there is a lot of power in "walking away" - make them throw in free delivery and setup too if they dont already offer that.

Comment

Maybe....I haven't looked at the actual models yet. That will be tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

ETA: this is in reference to Energy Star.

Comment

hey even if you don't find a dented model, dent one!
                            fify

Comment

fify

Ooops! Hey sorry about that. Hey can I buy this at a discount? You will have a hard time selling it with a huge dent in the door.

errr. okaaay. I will give you $50 off.

BAM!

What? only $50 for TWO huge dents? I am thinking more like $200 off.

--
                              Heck they might end up paying you to take it!

Comment

Ooops! Hey sorry about that. Hey can I buy this at a discount? You will have a hard time selling it with a huge dent in the door.

errr. okaaay. I will give you $50 off.

BAM!

What? only $50 for TWO huge dents? I am thinking more like $200 off.

--
                                Heck they might end up paying you to take it!
                                Yeah, why do they even stock such junky appliances!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X