Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Honest Question About Anthropomorphic Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    My source was Google. I agree it would be nice to know from whom was that image's authorship. If I knew it I would have included it. I did a Google image search for: " man made co2 emissions vs. natural," to choose that image.
    That nailed it, thanks. The chart was published in a WUWT post, and has since been withdrawn.
    UPDATE:

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the difference in the chart and the issues.

I was offered this post by the author in WUWT Tips and Notes, here: https://wattsupwiththat.com/tips-and...omment-1696307 and reproduced below.

The chart refers to the annual increase in CO2, not the total amount. So it is misleading.

Since the original author had worked for the Tucson Citizen I made the mistake of assuming it was properly vetted.

The fault is mine for not checking further. But as “pokerguy” notes, it won’t disappear. Mistakes are just as valuable for learning. – Anthony Watts

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      I think the thread has illustrated that the glaciers have been melting for quite some time.
      I initially thought the claim that the earth wasn't warming had some merit but the trend has been observed long enough as to be pretty solid, IMHO.
      I know that was a silly position but I don't dig into this material very deep.

So we know the earth is warming and has been warming for quite some time.
      So we know the amount of 'greenhouse gasses' has gone up and I see no reason to doubt those observations.

The gap for me would be proving a couple of things:
      1: That CO2 as contributed by man has caused things to warm faster - this means showing that some other accelerant isn't in play.
      2: That CO2 is taking us to a place we weren't going to be at in a few years anyways.

The reason that is important is because of public policy.
      I'd ask: Why spend billions to slow our march to a warming temperature point that we'll reach anyways?
      If we had carbon emissions when a glacier still covered Michigan would cutting that emission still have the state under a glacier?
      No it wouldn't - an extreme example but you get the point.

So has the connection between C02 produced by man and an increase in temperatures been established, in your honest opinion?
      That's what honest questions look like.

Comment

My source was Google. I agree it would be nice to know from whom was that image's authorship. If I knew it I would have included it. I did a Google image search for: " man made co2 emissions vs. natural," to choose that image.
        You need to check your sources closer, and not chase your tale looking for rabbits in Cambrian rocks to justify what you believe.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          That nailed it, thanks. The chart was published in a WUWT post, and has since been withdrawn.
          UPDATE:

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the difference in the chart and the issues.

I was offered this post by the author in WUWT Tips and Notes, here: https://wattsupwiththat.com/tips-and...omment-1696307 and reproduced below.

The chart refers to the annual increase in CO2, not the total amount. So it is misleading.

Since the original author had worked for the Tucson Citizen I made the mistake of assuming it was properly vetted.

The fault is mine for not checking further. But as “pokerguy” notes, it won’t disappear. Mistakes are just as valuable for learning. – Anthony Watts
          Good to know. So the chart I used reports annual increase of CO2 by source. Is there a correct chart that shows total percentages of CO2 by source.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Good to know. So the chart I used reports annual increase of CO2 by source.
            No, that's just Watts' attempt to cover up his face-plant, and just as incoherent. Pre-industrial sources for today's annual increases? Uh huh. I posted it to highlight that even Watts admits it wasn't what it purported to be. WUWT is the Jack Chick of denialist apologetics, strictly amateur fumbling.

Is there a correct chart that shows total percentages of CO2 by source.
            I'll look, but the basic results are well known. There's a large cycle of CO2 in and out of the atmosphere each year, resulting in what's now a consistent 1 or 2 ppm increase each year, all or nearly all of which is human-generated.

Comment

Its easy 37181... nature doesn't produce CO2 all year round. In the fall, organic matter, like tree leaves, rot and produce CO2 in huge quantities. However all that CO2 is recaptured again in the spring when nature blooms. Its part of a carbon cycle. In this cycle, without intervention, there's roughly the same amount of carbon, and therefore on average the same amount of CO2.

Human, unlike natural sources, produce CO2 all year around. Adding to the carbon cycle, thereby increasing the net amount.

However if one doesn't tell this, then a person can paint a picture nature is depicted as an industry, and mankind as a different... nature emits 800+Gigaton, and man emits 10Gigaton. "Notice how insignificant humans are" Of course this person wouldn't be telling you that nature would reabsorb what it emitted, and the amount of carbon would stay the same... however those 10Gigaton? They're stacked on top of the cycle.. year, after year, after year...

Comment