Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Replicants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    how would you know? maybe it is just a matter of a few genes to make someone compliant and obedient slaves.
    I know because I have a better understanding of how the brain and body works than that. It's a lot more complex than just turning on or off a handful of genes. There's a reason that autism is a grouping of symptoms, after all.

That said, 'amount of change' isn't limited to genetic factors. A compliant and obedient hominid is far enough from humans to be considered separate. Which, in fact, would be a good thing from an ethical standpoint.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      I've seen way too many scifi shows for this to be a good thing........
      IMO, enough sci-fi exposure coupled with decent understanding of modern science gives a pretty good picture of where we're probably headed. The sci-fi that's way off is getting easier to spot.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        I know because I have a better understanding of how the brain and body works than that. It's a lot more complex than just turning on or off a handful of genes. There's a reason that autism is a grouping of symptoms, after all.

That said, 'amount of change' isn't limited to genetic factors. A compliant and obedient hominid is far enough from humans to be considered separate. Which, in fact, would be a good thing from an ethical standpoint.
        So you are saying that a obedient and compliant child is not human?

And obedient slaves throughout time were not human either?

RACIST!!!! Hang him!!!!

(I have been learning from the liberals )

Comment

IMO, enough sci-fi exposure coupled with decent understanding of modern science gives a pretty good picture of where we're probably headed. The sci-fi that's way off is getting easier to spot.

Growing a body without a brain and then transplanting a dying person's brain into his brainless clone. Or growing a mindless clone and then transferring your mind into that new body.

Dun, dun, DUNNNN!

PS - I want one of those neat replicant snakes in Blade Runner.

Comment

No, you really haven't.
            "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
              No, you really haven't.
              I still have a bit to go. But I is learnitating gud.

1. Isolate a phrase or two in the opponent's words.
              2. Exaggerate it out of context and throw it in their face and accuse them of being a horrible bigot or racist to shame them into submission.
              3. Gloat.

Did I miss anything?

Comment

I still have a bit to go. But I is learnitating gud.

1. Isolate a phrase or two in the opponent's words.
                2. Exaggerate it out of context and throw it in their face and accuse them of being a horrible bigot or racist to shame them into submission.
                3. Gloat.

Did I miss anything?
                Look up "projection".

By the way you suffer from it.
                "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                  Look up "projection".

By the way you suffer from it.
                  Nicely done. I will learn that trick for next time. Thanks you sensei.

Comment

And obedient slaves throughout time were not human either?

RACIST!!!! Hang him!!!!

I'm saying those examples don't count as 'obedient and compliant' in the manner you've been using it. The most obedient child or slave has never dropped to the level of 'no free will'. Temper tantrums and runaway slaves are things for a reason.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Growing a body without a brain and then transplanting a dying person's brain into his brainless clone. Or growing a mindless clone and then transferring your mind into that new body.

Dun, dun, DUNNNN!
                      That's one of those things I'm pretty sure doesn't work that way. It might be possible to upload your mind, eventually. Transferring it to another human body would require all of the connections to be identical. However, David Weber uses the concept of a Personality Integrated Cybernetic Avatar (PICA) where you can basically transfer yourself into various vehicles, including a droid version of a human.

PS - I want one of those neat replicant snakes in Blade Runner.
                      I've never seen it.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

That's one of those things I'm pretty sure doesn't work that way. It might be possible to upload your mind, eventually. Transferring it to another human body would require all of the connections to be identical. However, David Weber uses the concept of a Personality Integrated Cybernetic Avatar (PICA) where you can basically transfer yourself into various vehicles, including a droid version of a human.
                        well since the mind is at least physical, the new brain would have to have all of the exact same neural connections as the old one in order for it to contain the mind without being a different mind.

I've never seen it.
                        You should check it out. very 1980's but also a good sci-fi "makes you think" type of story. It was based on Philip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"

Usually PKD film adaptations are pretty good sci-fi, I have found.

Comment

well since the mind is at least physical, the new brain would have to have all of the exact same neural connections as the old one in order for it to contain the mind without being a different mind.
                          Yeah, I'm not sure about that part. I would think it'd be possible to have more connections as long as you have the same connections. Think of it like a minimum recommended hardware ability. If you don't meet that, you have problems. Anything extra is just that. There are a lot of questions we have to answer before we could know for sure, though.

You should check it out. very 1980's but also a good sci-fi "makes you think" type of story. It was based on Philip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"

Usually PKD film adaptations are pretty good sci-fi, I have found.
                          It's one of those movies I would have watched a long time ago if it didn't mean sitting down and purposefully watching something. I'm not very good at that.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Creative camouflage designed to keep them safe from predation.

Comment

I've never seen it.
                              Was the thread title wasted on you?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                Was the thread title wasted on you?
                                Not at all.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment