Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does anyone else feel like an alien when it comes to other people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understandably so. Tweb is bettet than nothing. One can still converse with believers, though it is not the same as in person.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Understandably so. Tweb is better than nothing. One can still converse with believers, though it is not the same as in person.
      Yes. It's good to be able to get the fellowship here. I am finding though I am more and more missing corporate worship. What my wife and I can do at home is just not enough.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Yeah, I missed being able to go to church physically back when it switched to virtual only.

Comment

Yeah, I missed being able to go to church physically back when it switched to virtual only.
          So what is it about church? I probably miss the fellowship. Teaching is always good. Yet these are possible without church.

It must be God that makes church different. Yes, He is ommipresent. Yet somehow it's the effort I have to make to go to a place to met with Him that helps my spirit connect to Him. It's being around other people, who at least in theory, are like me - working to connect with God. I think this is the reason God calls us to meet as a group. The group helps each member to make that connection with God.

I think virtual church ultimately only would have an entertainment value. I hope as churches reopen, the leadership put more emphasis on connecting with God and less on entertainment and life counseling.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            So what is it about church? I probably miss the fellowship. Teaching is always good. Yet these are possible without church.

It must be God that makes church different. Yes, He is ommipresent. Yet somehow it's the effort I have to make to go to a place to met with Him that helps my spirit connect to Him. It's being around other people, who at least in theory, are like me - working to connect with God. I think this is the reason God calls us to meet as a group. The group helps each member to make that connection with God.

I think virtual church ultimately only would have an entertainment value. I hope as churches reopen, the leadership put more emphasis on connecting with God and less on entertainment and life counseling.
            Corporate worship is what I miss.

Comment

Corporate worship is what I miss.
              We both do.

Comment

We both do.
                Probably should have put that in past tense. Since June, we've been able to meet for worship, but we have to wear masks and no hugging or shaking hands! So, still no fellowship.

Comment

Why do people do unethical things like steal money from their place of work or shoplift? Why do I often feel as though I'm a foreigner in the country I was born in? Is it because I've been a Christian since childhood?
                  Acts 17:. 24“The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ 29“Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

God stimulates thought in all men and women. Some find it uncomfortable and prefer to follow the easy, broad path. Others conclude that living to serve self interest while ignoring caring instinct is what unthinking creatures do. Humanity is the only species which takes care of its weakest. We express justice, mercy and sacrificial love when we operationalise our ability to manifest the image of God.

Abraham responded positively, feeling like a sojourner in the world system. What made it worse was he had to work in his father's factory, supplying idols. Every idol was served with an oblation suitable to the plea being prayed for. For example, in the Greek polytheistic religion, Artemis was offered small images of her garlanded with miniature wombs, when women prayed to her for children. The idol makers went on a riot when the evangelists preached against the practice of their livelihood.

When Abraham obeyed God in leaving idol making, he was pledging loyalty to His cause: deep speaking to deep.

No wonder Paul objected to material offerings made to a God who rejected materialism.

No wonder we find common cause with those who live to serve God rather than serve self-interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefsinner View Post
                    Acts 17:. 24“The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ 29“Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

God stimulates thought in all men and women. Some find it uncomfortable and prefer to follow the easy, broad path. Others conclude that living to serve self interest while ignoring caring instinct is what unthinking creatures do. Humanity is the only species which takes care of its weakest. We express justice, mercy and sacrificial love when we operationalise our ability to manifest the image of God.

Abraham responded positively, feeling like a sojourner in the world system. What made it worse was he had to work in his father's factory, supplying idols. Every idol was served with an oblation suitable to the plea being prayed for. For example, in the Greek polytheistic religion, Artemis was offered small images of her garlanded with miniature wombs, when women prayed to her for children. The idol makers went on a riot when the evangelists preached against the practice of their livelihood.

When Abraham obeyed God in leaving idol making, he was pledging loyalty to His cause: deep speaking to deep.

No wonder Paul objected to material offerings made to a God who rejected materialism.

No wonder we find common cause with those who live to serve God rather than serve self-interest.
                    Uh, Paul is talking to the Greeks in Athens. He is contrasting God versus their gods/idols. It's a gospel presentation, not a lecture against materialism. Comtext is always important.

Comment

Uh, Paul is talking to the Greeks in Athens. He is contrasting God versus their gods/idols. It's a gospel presentation, not a lecture against materialism. Comtext is always important.
                      Any religion with a pantheon will have a domain for each God. They pray to Ares/Mars for power, Diana/Artemis for fertility/ascendancy for women, etc. etc. for success in love, wealth, health. The unknown God was setup for living a virtuous life, probably by Stoics: what suitable offering can you place on the altar? How can you represent righteousness? Any object would be wrong. Therefore Paul's criticism.

Any prayer that benefits you is idolatry. The opposite of idolatry is unselfishness, serving God and humanity:

Colossians 3:5Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.
                      Last edited by footwasher; 07-19-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Probably should have put that in past tense. Since June, we've been able to meet for worship, but we have to wear masks and no hugging or shaking hands! So, still no fellowship.
                        Well, you're doing better than me. Another Sunday without a worship service. I have some favorite YouTube video which do some ministering to my spirit but it's still not the same. It sure seems that God has placed me in an arid land devoid of churches that proclaim Him. I still remember a survey from a few years ago about how much a city believed the Bible was a good guidebook for life and my city came in near the bottom. I don't need to go to the mission field anymore - the mission field has come to me.

Comment

Well, you're doing better than me. Another Sunday without a worship service. I have some favorite YouTube video which do some ministering to my spirit but it's still not the same. It sure seems that God has placed me in an arid land devoid of churches that proclaim Him. I still remember a survey from a few years ago about how much a city believed the Bible was a good guidebook for life and my city came in near the bottom. I don't need to go to the mission field anymore - the mission field has come to me.
                          And there aren't enough workers for the harvest. So, pray for more workers?

Comment

And there aren't enough workers for the harvest. So, pray for more workers?
                            I'll admit that I've never been a fan of the saying that goes something like "Be the answer to your own prayer." In this case, it does look like that is the answer. Not that I am happy with how it would change my life but history is full of examples of God taking people where they don't want to go.

I know this would mean I have to deal with some personality traits I have like fear of conflict, how I spend my time, and my concerns about caring for my wife. I know God would be with me and guiding me but it still won't be pleasant. I have been around enough to know serving God doesn't mean you'll be comfortable. It's not excluded either but it does seem the more comfortable you are, the higher the chance you're not really serving God.

The most frustrating to me is I don't even know how to start down this road. But it does seem to be the road God wants me to take.

Comment

I'll admit that I've never been a fan of the saying that goes something like "Be the answer to your own prayer." In this case, it does look like that is the answer. Not that I am happy with how it would change my life but history is full of examples of God taking people where they don't want to go.

I know this would mean I have to deal with some personality traits I have like fear of conflict, how I spend my time, and my concerns about caring for my wife. I know God would be with me and guiding me but it still won't be pleasant. I have been around enough to know serving God doesn't mean you'll be comfortable. It's not excluded either but it does seem the more comfortable you are, the higher the chance you're not really serving God.

The most frustrating to me is I don't even know how to start down this road. But it does seem to be the road God wants me to take.
                              It may be cliche, but pray about it? And ask any mentors in your life?

Comment

It may be cliche, but pray about it? And ask any mentors in your life?
                                One should always pray about everything. However, I have seen Christians use a need to pray as an excuse not to do anything. I don't want to fall into that trap.

No mentors in my life. I've looked around at Christian spiritual counseling in the area but they definitely not conservative. So once I can go church hunting again, I have to find one that also does this sort of mentoring. Please excuse me while I

I'm definitely in a no fun situation.

Comment