Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Level of Difficulty in Apologetics Texts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level of Difficulty in Apologetics Texts

Hey, one thing I am passionate about is trying to get other Christians engaged in apologetics. Anyway, the following is a list of books I happen to own. I have an idea of how I would categorize their difficulty level in terms of beginner, intermediate, and advanced, but second opinions couldn't hurt. Also, feel free to throw in some other books (may articles) that you think are invaluable for budding apologists along with their difficulty level. Thanks!

1) Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig

2) On Guard by William Lane Craig

3) A Reasonable Response by William Lane Craig

4) Scaling the Secular City by JP Moreland

5) Gunning for God by John C. Lennox

6) I Don't Have Enough Faith to be An Atheist by Geisler and Turek

7) Where There Almost Certainly Is A God by Keith Ward

8) Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology edited by Craig and Moreland

9) Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Kreeft and Tacelli

10) Case for a Creator, Case for Faith, and Case for Christ by Strobel (okay, obviously beginner)

11) God is Great, God is Good edited by Craig and Meister

12) Why I Am A Christian edited by Geisler and Hoffman

13) Contending With Christianity's Critics edited by Copan and Craig

14) Shattering the Christ Myth, Trusting the New Testament, and Defending the Resurrection - JP Holding

15) Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller

16) Reinventing Jesus by Komoszewski, Sawyer, and Wallace

17) The Historical Reliability of the Gospels by Craig Blomberg

18) Was Jesus God? by Richard Swinburne

19) The Resurrection of the Son of God by N.T. Wright (yeah, obviously advanced)

20) Existence of God by Richard Swinburne

21) Where the Conflict Really Lies by Alvin Plantinga

22) The Faith of a Physicist by John Polkinghorne

23) The Big Questions in Science and Religion by Keith Ward

24) Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace

25) Can We Still Believe the Bible by Craig Blomberg

I own Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace, and you surprised me by showing it as very advanced. It did not get enough into the meat of the subject for me, comparative analysis of the gospels to show how they supplement each other (like he did as a witness in court in the movie, "God's not Dead 2").
    High on the difficulty level and I would place Josh McDowell 1999 The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict, 2 vols..
    Moderately high in difficulty I would place Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology, 2002.
    Medium in difficulty I would place R. Albert Mohler Jr.'s Atheism Remix; a Christian Confronts the New Atheists, 2008
    Last edited by Adam; 05-16-2016, 12:29 AM.
    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
      I own Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace, and you surprised me by showing it as very advanced. It did not get enough into the meat of the subject for me, comparative analysis of the gospels to show how they supplement each other (like he did as a witness in court in the movie, "God's not Dead 2").
      High on the difficulty level and I would place Josh McDowell 1999 The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict, 2 vols..
      Moderately high in difficulty I would place Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology, 2002.
      Medium in difficulty I would place R. Albert Mohler Jr.'s Atheism Remix; a Christian Confronts the New Atheists, 2008
      I didn't list Cold-Case Christianity as very advanced. Resurrection of the Son of God by Wright and Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology are two that I would list as advanced, but Cold-Case is easily beginner. I have never heard of Mohler's book, so I'll have to look into that one. Thanks.

Comment

As an enthusiastic amateur I have some books I could reccomend to most anybody interested. Props to jpholding for introducing me to these books.
        1. Andy Bannister The atheist who didnt exist.
        Are you interested in your faith? Do you get annoyed by atheist memes and guys like darkmatter2525 but you don't understand enough to argue yet? Do you find things like Paley's watch and the kalam arguement tascinating but over your head for now? This book is good for all levels in alolegetics but especially beginers. Funny. Rereadable. And it doesn't treat you like a dummy.
        2. Can you be good without God?
        Insightful. Funny. It is like leter kreeft for beginers. You might not understand it all at first but it is worth it.
        3. The Screwtape letters.
        A classic. Funny. Insightful. With a unique method that hits the mark and will help one to reevaluate their lives.
        I hope this helps some.
        sigpic

Comment

Ed Feser's The Last Superstition is somewhere in between intermediate and advanced. You have to stick with him during the explanation of philosophy.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X