Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opposite sex housemate

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Opposite sex housemate

Would it be inappropriate for a person to have a housemate of the opposite sex? I say "housemate" because they live in the same house; they don't share the same bedroom. Suppose that the two people are not a couple, they are not attracted to each other, and they are not a part of the same family. I have known people in this kind of living situation and I've heard comments from other people that this is inappropriate. Does the Bible address this issue?
    Last edited by Jaxb; 05-18-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    1 Thess 5:22

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxb View Post
    Would it be inappropriate for a person to have a housemate of the opposite sex? I say "housemate" because they live in the same house; they don't share the same bedroom. Suppose that the two people are not a couple, they are not attracted to each other, and they are not a part of the same family. I have known people in this kind of living situation and I've heard comments from other people that this is inappropriate. Does the Bible address this issue?
    It's not necessarily inappropriate within Christianity, but it's typically frowned upon. To the extent that you're a potential stumbling block, there's reason enough to avoid it. It doesn't have to be that big of a deal, though. It would be a different question if you were cohabiting.
    I'm not here anymore.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This was condemned repeatedly at early church councils. This was in the context of priests/bishops, who were expected to be celibate, cohabiting with someone of the opposite sex.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    AFAIK not explicitly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    This was condemned repeatedly at early church councils. This was in the context of priests/bishops, who were expected to be celibate, cohabiting with someone of the opposite sex.
    Irrelevant.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Jax, you pop in here and ask provocative questions, but then never participate in the resulting discussion. Why is that?

Theologyweb is a discussion site, not a dart board.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    AFAIK not explicitly.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.
    Duly noted.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The only appearance of evil that I could think of is that some people might think that they are fornicating. If they were falsely accused of fornicating, they might have a difficult time disproving that false accusation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I thought cohabitation had to do with unmarried couples. I was talking about a man and a woman living together, not a couple. Just because a man and a woman live together does not mean that they are a couple.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I thought cohabitation had to do with unmarried couples. I was talking about a man and a woman living together, not a couple. Just because a man and a woman live together does not mean that they are a couple.
    If a man and a woman are living together, they are "cohabiting." That's what the word means.