Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Opposite sex housemate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposite sex housemate

Would it be inappropriate for a person to have a housemate of the opposite sex? I say "housemate" because they live in the same house; they don't share the same bedroom. Suppose that the two people are not a couple, they are not attracted to each other, and they are not a part of the same family. I have known people in this kind of living situation and I've heard comments from other people that this is inappropriate. Does the Bible address this issue?
    Last edited by Jaxb; 05-18-2016, 03:34 PM.

1 Thess 5:22
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
      Would it be inappropriate for a person to have a housemate of the opposite sex? I say "housemate" because they live in the same house; they don't share the same bedroom. Suppose that the two people are not a couple, they are not attracted to each other, and they are not a part of the same family. I have known people in this kind of living situation and I've heard comments from other people that this is inappropriate. Does the Bible address this issue?
      It's not necessarily inappropriate within Christianity, but it's typically frowned upon. To the extent that you're a potential stumbling block, there's reason enough to avoid it. It doesn't have to be that big of a deal, though. It would be a different question if you were cohabiting.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

This was condemned repeatedly at early church councils. This was in the context of priests/bishops, who were expected to be celibate, cohabiting with someone of the opposite sex.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

AFAIK not explicitly.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Irrelevant.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          This was condemned repeatedly at early church councils. This was in the context of priests/bishops, who were expected to be celibate, cohabiting with someone of the opposite sex.
          Irrelevant.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Jax, you pop in here and ask provocative questions, but then never participate in the resulting discussion. Why is that?

Theologyweb is a discussion site, not a dart board.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              AFAIK not explicitly.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.
              Duly noted.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                The only appearance of evil that I could think of is that some people might think that they are fornicating. If they were falsely accused of fornicating, they might have a difficult time disproving that false accusation.

Comment

I thought cohabitation had to do with unmarried couples. I was talking about a man and a woman living together, not a couple. Just because a man and a woman live together does not mean that they are a couple.

Comment

I thought cohabitation had to do with unmarried couples. I was talking about a man and a woman living together, not a couple. Just because a man and a woman live together does not mean that they are a couple.
                    If a man and a woman are living together, they are "cohabiting." That's what the word means.

sigpic

Comment

If a man and a woman are living together, they are "cohabiting." That's what the word means.
                      What if they are brother and sister?

I have a friend who is letting her brother live with her because he is a useless piece of flesh who can't keep a job and nobody else in the family will help. And despite all that, his sister loves him enough to keep him off the street by letting him live with her.

Comment

In a broad sense only. It's typically used to refer to a man and woman living together as if they were married, which includes sexual relations.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The only appearance of evil that I could think of is that some people might think that they are fornicating.
                          That's a definite possibility.

If they were falsely accused of fornicating, they might have a difficult time disproving that false accusation.
                          Which is why it's good not to present the opportunity.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            In a broad sense only. It's typically used to refer to a man and woman living together as if they were married, which includes sexual relations.
                            I was using the broad sense. Is there a better word to use?

@ Sparko: I believe there were generally exceptions for family.

sigpic

Comment

I was using the broad sense. Is there a better word to use?
                              I don't know of a better word, no. I think it's important to keep in mind its typical meaning when answering questions based on it, though. That's what moves the line from "not ok with couples" to "not ok unless related".
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X