Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Opposite sex housemate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    It's not necessarily inappropriate within Christianity, but it's typically frowned upon. To the extent that you're a potential stumbling block, there's reason enough to avoid it. It doesn't have to be that big of a deal, though. It would be a different question if you were cohabiting.
    It's a stumbling block if they are attracted to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      What if they are brother and sister?

I have a friend who is letting her brother live with her because he is a useless piece of flesh who can't keep a job and nobody else in the family will help. And despite all that, his sister loves him enough to keep him off the street by letting him live with her.
      Did she give him a deadline to find a job and keep it?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        If a man and a woman are living together, they are "cohabiting." That's what the word means.
        It means to live together as if they are a married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
          Did she give him a deadline to find a job and keep it?
          she tried, but he is an alcoholic and can't keep a job. He is using her, but she is big hearted and doesn't want him living on the street (he actually did for a while)

Comment

she tried, but he is an alcoholic and can't keep a job. He is using her, but she is big hearted and doesn't want him living on the street (he actually did for a while)
            What can she do to bring about change in this situation?

Comment

What can she do to bring about change in this situation?
              become heartless and kick him out on the street. But that would not be her.

Comment

It's a stumbling block if they are attracted to each other.
                I always found it impossible to figure out what's going to be a stumbling block. My wife/girlfriend-at-the-time wanted to live with me in college. We weren't sexually active, and no one thought we were. None of our Christian friends understood why I wasn't ok with it. My parents definitely wouldn't have been ok with it, though hers was. I did have a housemate of the opposite sex after that, but even my more-conservative-than-most parents didn't care about that.

If you care that much, ask the Christians around you whose opinion you value and use that as a gauge. People on the internet will likely never know the difference.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  That's a definite possibility.

Which is why it's good not to present the opportunity.
                  That reminds me to not be in a situation that can lead to being falsely accused of sin.

Comment

become heartless and kick him out on the street. But that would not be her.
                    Send him to this place: http://www.bayarearescue.org/

It offers a place to stay and job training.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      I always found it impossible to figure out what's going to be a stumbling block. My wife/girlfriend-at-the-time wanted to live with me in college. We weren't sexually active, and no one thought we were. None of our Christian friends understood why I wasn't ok with it. My parents definitely wouldn't have been ok with it, though hers was. I did have a housemate of the opposite sex after that, but even my more-conservative-than-most parents didn't care about that.

If you care that much, ask the Christians around you whose opinion you value and use that as a gauge. People on the internet will likely never know the difference.
                      It's always good to seek counsel from other Christians.

Comment

That reminds me to not be in a situation that can lead to being falsely accused of sin.
                        Often, that's not practical. When I was younger, I would never eat at a restaurant that served alcohol. These days, what restaurant - besides the Golden Arches Supper Club - doesn't? But where there's a choice, it's best to live in such a way that we are not easily accused of wrong.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Often, that's not practical. When I was younger, I would never eat at a restaurant that served alcohol. These days, what restaurant - besides the Golden Arches Supper Club - doesn't? But where there's a choice, it's best to live in such a way that we are not easily accused of wrong.
                          Consuming alcohol is... not... wrong. But if you're determined to avoid what Pharisiacs call wrong, you can probably eat safely at Perkin's or Bob Evans or Denny's or Golden Corral or any fast food joint or your local diner, off the top of my head. I'd appreciate it if you came up with a better analogy.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The problem is less being falsely accused and more a matter of giving a false impression that you would find it okay if it were true. That is the real stumbling block to those looking on.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Send him to this place: http://www.bayarearescue.org/

It offers a place to stay and job training.
                              we have shelters like that too, but he won't obey their rules and not drink. He likes drinking and can't keep a job because of it. He doesn't even WANT a job because he is a deadbeat dad who owes his exwife a lot of child support and if he gets a job, she gets the money, so he is just a bum. I would kick him out on the street if he were my brother, hoping he would eventually learn, like the prodigal son in the bible. But his sister is too tenderhearted to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Consuming alcohol is... not... wrong.
                                Calm yourself, Pigster - I said "when I was younger".

But if you're determined to avoid what Pharisiacs call wrong, you can probably eat safely at Perkin's or Bob Evans or Denny's or Golden Corral or any fast food joint or your local diner, off the top of my head.
                                My current opposition to alcohol is not based on my Christian experience - it's based on my police experience. All the wrecked homes, broken families, vehicle deaths --- I just decided I didn't want to have anything to do with it.

I'd appreciate it if you came up with a better analogy.
                                And I'd appreciate it if you not be such a master picker of nit.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X