Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Opposite sex housemate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    we have shelters like that too, but he won't obey their rules and not drink. He likes drinking and can't keep a job because of it. He doesn't even WANT a job because he is a deadbeat dad who owes his exwife a lot of child support and if he gets a job, she gets the money, so he is just a bum. I would kick him out on the street if he were my brother, hoping he would eventually learn, like the prodigal son in the bible. But his sister is too tenderhearted to do that.
    That is too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Calm yourself, Pigster - I said "when I was younger".
      Yes, and then complained that it's unavoidable now.
      My current opposition to alcohol is not based on my Christian experience - it's based on my police experience. All the wrecked homes, broken families, vehicle deaths --- I just decided I didn't want to have anything to do with it.
      Ok. Most people are able to consume it without any of that happening, though.
      And I'd appreciate it if you not be such a master picker of nit.
      I yam what I yam.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Yes, and then complained that it's unavoidable now.
        Observed, not complained - a stated fact.

Ok. Most people are able to consume it without any of that happening, though.
        Well, sure -- that doesn't mean I want to have anything to do with it. It's a personal choice.

I yam what I yam.
        And you're a better you than anybody I know!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Observed, not complained - a stated fact.
          In context, it looked a whole lot like a complaint, as if you were lamenting the inability to avoid it like you used to.
          Well, sure -- that doesn't mean I want to have anything to do with it. It's a personal choice.
          Sure.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Calm yourself, Pigster - I said "when I was younger".

My current opposition to alcohol is not based on my Christian experience - it's based on my police experience. All the wrecked homes, broken families, vehicle deaths --- I just decided I didn't want to have anything to do with it.

And I'd appreciate it if you not be such a master picker of nit.
            that's his best skill, he makes chimpanzees jealous.

Comment

In context, it looked a whole lot like a complaint, as if you were lamenting the inability to avoid it like you used to.
              No, I wasn't lamenting anything... lemme try this again....

When I was younger (like 50 years ago) and a member of an independent fundamentalist Baptist church that forbade the consumption of alcohol as a beverage, I made it a point to avoid restaurants that served alcohol. It was easy back then.

That was when I was younger. Like a long time ago. Not now. Like 40 years ago.

IF I had that same preference today, it would be a lot harder to avoid restaurants that did not serve alcohol. But I COULD, if I wanted to. But I don't. Cause that was a long time ago. When I was younger.

And, coincidentally, I stopped drinking booze when I was of legal age to start. I just don't need it.

Sure.
              I also don't frequent places that serve sushi, but for different reasons. AND, when I was younger - like 40 years ago, it was much harder to find places that served sushi. Assuming you were looking. And I wasn't.

And, no, consumption of alcohol and consumption of sushi are not the same thing. Though I don't do either. But for different reasons.

Is that more clearerer?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I was younger (like 50 years ago) and a member of an independent fundamentalist Baptist church that forbade the consumption of alcohol as a beverage, I made it a point to avoid restaurants that served alcohol. It was easy back then.

IF I had that same preference today, it would be a lot harder to avoid restaurants that did not serve alcohol. But I COULD, if I wanted to. But I don't. Cause that was a long time ago. When I was younger.

And, coincidentally, I stopped drinking booze when I was of legal age to start. I just don't need it.

I also don't frequent places that serve sushi, but for different reasons. AND, when I was younger - like 40 years ago, it was much harder to find places that served sushi. Assuming you were looking. And I wasn't.

And, no, consumption of alcohol and consumption of sushi are not the same thing. Though I don't do either. But for different reasons.

Is that more clearerer?
                Well, is it forty or fifty years? Get it together, man!

Also, I consumed sushi today. No alcohol though. I was at work. But a cider would be nice.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                  Well, is it forty or fifty years? Get it together, man!
                  yes

Also, I consumed sushi today. No alcohol though. I was at work. But a cider would be nice.
                  I consumed no sushi today. Again.

Comment

Is that more clearerer?
                    Perfectly. I was only trying to explain what it looked like, and why I replied the way I did (and in the back of my mind, your (mock?) smugness in not having consumed alcohol since it was legal - which you seem to bring up every time this topic comes up - was also coloring things).

And I gotta stop this conversation. The cognitive dissonance of discussing this topic here and something entirely different in the bars/nightclubs thread is making me .

sigpic

Comment

Perfectly. I was only trying to explain what it looked like, and why I replied the way I did (and in the back of my mind, your (mock?) smugness in not having consumed alcohol since it was legal - which you seem to bring up every time this topic comes up - was also coloring things).

And I gotta stop this conversation. The cognitive dissonance of discussing this topic here and something entirely different in the bars/nightclubs thread is making me .

Comment

When I was younger (like 50 years ago) and a member of an independent fundamentalist Baptist church that forbade the consumption of alcohol as a beverage, I made it a point to avoid restaurants that served alcohol.
                        If I may the IDF don't really want you to do anything. They have an unrelenting fear that somewhere someone might be happy.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          If I may the IDF don't really want you to do anything. They have an unrelenting fear that somewhere someone might be happy.
                          Which is part of the reason I abandoned them when I became of majority.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X