Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So Now English Only Is Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard a story about someone who was speaking another language and was told to go back where they came from... but the language turned out to be Navajo.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I heard a story about someone who was speaking another language and was told to go back where they came from... but the language turned out to be Navajo.
      I heard that one recently as well.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        Gesticulate wildly.
        Snort.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

One of the local cafes I frequent here is owned by a Filipino couple, and they just had a new start (who is also Filipino), but whose English isn't all that good. They speak Tagalog with each other and with customers who happen to speak it as well.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            I'm hearing the news article for the first time. Realistically...I think its the owner's right, but I strongly disagree with the policy. Maybe its because I've worked in very integrated environments....but I REALLY disagree.
            And what do you do if the owner ONLY speaks English? Force him to take Spanish/French/ insert your own language here?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              And what do you do if the owner ONLY speaks English? Force him to take Spanish/French/ insert your own language here?
              Then the owner only speaks English. But if the front staff can speak the same language as the customer, then let them.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                Then the owner only speaks English. But if the front staff can speak the same language as the customer, then let them.
                What if the owner is the "front staff"?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

What if the owner is the "front staff"?
                  If the owner is the front staff and he can only speak English, then he can only speak English.

But that's not what the scenario that is in the OP. the rule is that the staff are only allowed to speak English, even with customers, even if they can speak another language (and that language is the first language of the customer).

Now I don't have a problem with "In the Kitchen we all need to speak the same language, so English only" rules. But to ban staff from using another language with the customer is daft.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

It is daft to play the race card on this.

I can't believe the stupidity of people who think everything is offensive. I am so sick of this world.

Comment

It is daft to play the race card on this.
                      Playing the race card is normally daft.

I can't believe the stupidity of people who think everything is offensive. I am so sick of this world.
                      I think the owner's rule is stupid, I don't think it's racist, and I am not offended.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        Playing the race card is normally daft.

I think the owner's rule is stupid, I don't think it's racist, and I am not offended.
                        I didn't say you were offended. Or that you think it's racist. I blame the stupid person who decided to take offense at the thing.

Comment

Here's another perspective on the story. ..a rather sensationalist one, I'm afraid...

http://conservativetribune.com/hispa...ign=manualpost
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I didn't say you were offended. Or that you think it's racist. I blame the stupid person who decided to take offense at the thing.
                            There's a right to not be offended. Didn't you know?
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment