Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt

OK, this is my classic example of "leadership" on health....

When I was a kid, I was told in 5th grade health class to make sure I got enough iodized salt, or I would get goiter. They showed us horrible pictures of people with big growths on their throats, and I knew I didn't want to end up like that!

At a summer job in a steel factory, I was told "be sure to take salt tablets" and drink lots of water.

Then came the "salt will kill you", and the parade of "low sodium", "reduced sodium" and so on.

NOW, the Daily Mail (yeah, I know, it should only be used as toilet paper ) tells me if I don't use salt I'll have a heart attack!

What's the SCIENCE on salt consumption?

Eating too LITTLE salt may INCREASE your risk of a heart attack or stroke, claims controversial new research

And, yes, I note the word "controversial" prior to "new research"
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

By the way, all my adult life, I have consumed bacon, dairy products, eggs, REAL BUTTER, and other stuff doomed to kill me. Also, I use way too much salt by conventional standards.

However, I'm probably the only person I know in my age group whose only daily medicine regimen is one baby aspirin. No other drugs.

Heart rate / blood pressure excellent, all systems go.

That, of course, means I'll probably die of a heart attack tomorrow.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's a balancing act. Too much or too little of anything your body needs can hurt or even kill you. Homeostasis helps if you get a little too much, but it won't help if you have problems maintaining proper homeostasis.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        It's a balancing act. Too much or too little of anything your body needs can hurt or even kill you. Homeostasis helps if you get a little too much, but it won't help if you have problems maintaining proper homeostasis.
        OK, try that once more in English. And define "too much" and "too little" relative to salt.

Comment

You have to take that research with a grain of... uh... sand.
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
            You have to take that research with a grain of... uh... sand.
            You got me! I thought you were gonna say....

oh

nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              OK, try that once more in English. And define "too much" and "too little" relative to salt.
              Remember the story of Goldilocks and the three bears? Homeostasis is kind of like that, except you body can usually make sure that there is the exact levels of anything it needs. If your blood sugar gets too low, your body tells you to eat and gets the liver to raise the sugar level. I don't remember what the salt levels are. I have heard that the original studies had given the rats way too much salt in proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                OK, this is my classic example of "leadership" on health....

When I was a kid, I was told in 5th grade health class to make sure I got enough iodized salt, or I would get goiter. They showed us horrible pictures of people with big growths on their throats, and I knew I didn't want to end up like that!

At a summer job in a steel factory, I was told "be sure to take salt tablets" and drink lots of water.

Then came the "salt will kill you", and the parade of "low sodium", "reduced sodium" and so on.

NOW, the Daily Mail (yeah, I know, it should only be used as toilet paper ) tells me if I don't use salt I'll have a heart attack!

What's the SCIENCE on salt consumption?

Eating too LITTLE salt may INCREASE your risk of a heart attack or stroke, claims controversial new research

And, yes, I note the word "controversial" prior to "new research"
                Actually when you worked at the mill and they wanted you to take salt tablets and drink water they were preventing severe dehydration through fluid loss. I make my husband drink gatorade or electrolyte drinks on hot days they have salt and potassium in them. I myself must drink and eat foods that have salt and potassium to maintain my blood pressure near normal levels. Ironically its not table salt (sodium chloride) that can kill you, (example you salt your tomatoes before eating, add it to homemade soups etc.) But its the preservative sodium that is added to packaged foods that is of concern. Examples include, canned soup, doritos, cheetos, boullion, hamburger helper, macaroni and cheese, etc.... What you would look for would be things like Disodium glutamate, the words "spices" "autolyzed yeast extract" trisodium phosphates, those would be a bit more concerning than just the words "salt" "sea salt" or "sodium chloride"
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Just don't get too carried away and you will probably be alright. The problem comes when you like a lot of really salty stuff, potato chips, etc. The too little is when you use salt substitute and eat all low sodium food. This is just my take with no science behind it. Of course I do not trust medical science when it comes to diet issues like this. You know; coffee will kill you - coffee is good for you, and such.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Just don't get too carried away and you will probably be alright. The problem comes when you like a lot of really salty stuff, potato chips, etc. The too little is when you use salt substitute and eat all low sodium food. This is just my take with no science behind it. Of course I do not trust medical science when it comes to diet issues like this. You know; coffee will kill you - coffee is good for you, and such.
                    EGGzackly!!! Speaking of which, eggs are high in cholesterol, so don't eat them... um... strike that....

Comment

Everything in moderation.

Why doesn't "science" get it?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Does that including doing things in moderation?

It isn't always science:

science-news-cycle.jpg
                        Last edited by rogue06; 05-21-2016, 04:19 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah... but I would still think real table salt is better than something like disodium whatever.... heck I would prefer it. Come to think of it I usually do eat food thats pronouncable over food that is not.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            Yeah... but I would still think real table salt is better than something like disodium whatever.... heck I would prefer it. Come to think of it I usually do eat food thats pronouncable over food that is not.
                            Dihydrogen Monoxide. You can make anything sound scary.

Comment

Not quite..... you shouldn't sniff glue or swallow methanol. And I don't think cigarettes are any good either....
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X