Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What arguments are there FOR Judaism?

tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Considering the history of the text of Genesis and Exodus I have no reason to believe the accounts were accurate and historical, nor were there 600,000 witnesses.
    I agree. The Pentateuch is (largely) fictitious. There may be some historical memory and information behind the narrative, but the nature of the sources doesn't allow for any real historical reconstruction.

2. Amen stfoskey15 amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    I agree. The Pentateuch is (largely) fictitious. There may be some historical memory and information behind the narrative, but the nature of the sources doesn't allow for any real historical reconstruction.
    When a document (Deuteronomy) is modeled after a Hittite suzerain treaty current 1,000 years before critics tend to think it was written, I take what critics say with a large grain of salt. I think there's a lot more historicity there than you imagine.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen Cerebrum123, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    When a document (Deuteronomy) is modeled after a Hittite suzerain treaty current 1,000 years before critics tend to think it was written, I take what critics say with a large grain of salt. I think there's a lot more historicity there than you imagine.
    Deuteronomy seems to better parallel neo-Assyrian treaties of the 7th century BC, rather than the Hittite treaties. I'll look into it a little further.

I'm also wondering if you're including the Deuteronomistic history under Deuteronomy. I tend to see Kings/Judges/Samuel as being historically based.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    Deuteronomy seems to better parallel neo-Assyrian treaties of the 7th century BC, rather than the Hittite treaties. I'll look into it a little further.

I'm also wondering if you're including the Deuteronomistic history under Deuteronomy. I tend to see Kings/Judges/Samuel as being historically based.
    While you're at it, take a look at the affinities between the Ten Commandments and Egyptian antecedents.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    While you're at it, take a look at the affinities between the Ten Commandments and Egyptian antecedents.
    I've seen those. Kitchen argued for them in On the Reliability of the Old Testament.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Shunyadragon, please remember that as an agnostic, you are not permitted to post here. Sorry.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 07-24-2016 at 04:26 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Try this website: http://www.schechter.edu/Page.aspx?ID=379562354 (The Schechter Institutes)

also, http://globalyeshiva.com/051-make-fa...ver-important/ (Global Yeshiva)

These two websites might steer you toward the information that you need.