Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bitcoin versus other monies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    If I understand correctly, the Bitcoin Drop is simply giving a bitcoin account to each Dominican who currently don't have a bitcoin account. I don't know the initial bitcoin amount, but it could be the equivalent of merely one penny or so. Foolish government action, sure. But how is the success of the Bitcoin Drop going to cause a big crash? You are not assuming feedback effects like those global warmists are?
    last I heard it was 70,000 bitcoins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      last I heard it was 70,000 bitcoins.
      At $480 per bitcoin, that's a bit rich. An appointment with your ear doctor might be in order. Maybe someone who takes bitcoins.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

At $480 per bitcoin, that's a bit rich. An appointment with your ear doctor might be in order. Maybe someone who takes bitcoins.
        All 70,000 residents living on the Caribbean nation of Dominica will be eligible to receive bitcoin as part of ‘The Bit Drop’ project, an upcoming collaboration between bitcoin businesses, interest groups and local government officials.
        http://www.coindesk.com/70000-caribb...-bitcoin-2015/

Now I can't find anything on how much they will give each resident. But if it is just a few dollars worth it won't do much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          All 70,000 residents living on the Caribbean nation of Dominica will be eligible to receive bitcoin as part of ‘The Bit Drop’ project, an upcoming collaboration between bitcoin businesses, interest groups and local government officials.
          http://www.coindesk.com/70000-caribb...-bitcoin-2015/

Now I can't find anything on how much they will give each resident. But if it is just a few dollars worth it won't do much.
          Not everyone will apply, I think. And there could be a means test, so that poor people will get bitcoins for free, but others have to purchase them.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Disclaimer: I own some bitcoins.

Paypal said that it agreed with Coinbase, GoCoin, and Bitpay, so that merchants that work with Paypal can now accept bitcoins. Now eBay is spinning off Paypal; that's more good news for Bitcoin.

Did I mention that Apple's App Store has begun to allow Bitcoin apps to be sold on it?

Be sure to watch the Bitcoin Bowl on TV come December, thrill to your favorite football team bash your least favorite team.

Comment

The dollar price of a Bitcoin suddenly dropped below $300, but is back up to $320 or so. An assessment by Michael Robinson, a Bitcoin enthusiast, that Bitcoin was looking stable now looks wrong, though.

Comment

More Bitcoin tidbits:
                DigitalBTC is the first publicly traded Bitcoin company (ASX:DCC [not a reco]); trading started last July.
                First BTC IPO: Bitcoin Group of Australia. Trading is slated for late December.
                Blockchain got $30 million more funding, a record for digital currency firms.

Michael Robinson claims that this and other evidence "proves that [Bitcoin] is on a solid path to become a major force in the digital payments industry."

Comment

• Meet the Tiny Bitcoin Wallet that Lives Under Your Skin

A bitcoin entrepreneur and ‘biohacking’ enthusiast has found an unlikely place to store digital currency – under his skin.

Martijn Wismeijer, also known as ‘Mr Bitcoin’, had two NFC (near-field communication) chips injected into the back of his hands during a biohacking event organised by Permanent Beta last week.

Speaking to CoinDesk, Wismeijer said he has so far experimented with storing litecoin, darkcoin, dogecoin and bitcoin on the tiny devices, which can hold up to 888 bytes of data each.

“As long as you can export your private key, you can write that into your hands," he added.

http://www.coindesk.com/meet-tiny-bi...et-lives-skin/

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    I support the :
                    sigpic

Comment

• I hear it can only hold 666 bitcoins.

Comment

• "That guy has too much time on his hands!"

"Oh, yeah? THAT guy there has too much money in his hands!"

Comment

• The Bitcoin Bowl was played yesternite A wild 4th quarter featured a 34-point outburst by one team. May my bitcoin account have a similar outburst someday, making me wealthier than Croesus.

Woops, that was another bowl.
                          Last edited by Truthseeker; 12-27-2014, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• I am interested in comments from those of you who have studied this webpage (touting what appears to be a hybrid combination of bitcoin and gold) http://www.vaultoro.com/
                            You own a pile of gold in a certain location. You can inspect that holding any time as far as it's possible to do so online (not be there physically to verify the holding's existence). Making a purchase with bitcoins "redeemed" from your Vaultoro gold holdings could be as quick and as easy and as safely as it can be done online. Well, those are the ideas, anyway. The gold could be stored as safely as it can be, comparable to vaults worldwide or better than them. [Thanks Laissez Faire Today (email letter)]

Comment

I am interested in comments from those of you who have studied this webpage (touting what appears to be a hybrid combination of bitcoin and gold) http://www.vaultoro.com/
                              You own a pile of gold in a certain location. You can inspect that holding any time as far as it's possible to do so online (not be there physically to verify the holding's existence). Making a purchase with bitcoins "redeemed" from your Vaultoro gold holdings could be as quick and as easy and as safely as it can be done online. Well, those are the ideas, anyway. The gold could be stored as safely as it can be, comparable to vaults worldwide or better than them. [Thanks Laissez Faire Today (email letter)]
                              I think Joseph Smith tried that one with the Kirtland Bank and a box of rocks.

Comment

• Evolution, an online marketplace, did an apparent "exit scam." By turning off its servers, the owner or owners of Evolution apparently ripped off $12 million worth of bitcoins (note that the dollar value of a bitcoin can vary quite much over time). What is not clear to me how the Evolution people would be able to profit off that hoard. Perhaps anonymity can hurt ordinary people, I mean the anonymity of many crimes, some of which were never solved. However, couldn't some if not all of the rightful owners band together to keep an eye on when the coins would be traded? I'm not sure what they could do, though.

ETA: The dollar value of a bitcoin (average by http://www.coindesk.com/price ) is holding up, thank you, or is rising. I am surprised.
                                Last edited by Truthseeker; 03-23-2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X