Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bitcoin versus other monies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disclaimer: I own some bitcoins.

From Michael A. Robinson (Money Map 2015 05 08):
    1) "Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (NYSE: GS) recently said that it is co-leading a nearly $50 million investment in Bitcoin payments startup Circle Internet Financial as part of its effort to buy stakes in young financial-tech (fintech) companies." [Surprise there, one would think that big banks would be loath to give Bitcoin any support.]
    2) " . . . itBit will be the first Bitcoin exchange to operate out of New York state - the capital of the financial world." [itBit can be used like a bank {NOT a reco}].
    3) Robinson thinks Overstock is trying to establish the first stock market that is based on the Bitcoin. {NOT a reco}
    4) Robinson wrote, " . . . [is anticipating] the SEC approval of the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust, which would be the first full-fledged Bitcoin ETF." {NOT a reco}
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      Disclaimer: I own some bitcoins.

From Michael A. Robinson (Money Map 2015 05 08):
      1) "Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (NYSE: GS) recently said that it is co-leading a nearly $50 million investment in Bitcoin payments startup Circle Internet Financial as part of its effort to buy stakes in young financial-tech (fintech) companies." [Surprise there, one would think that big banks would be loath to give Bitcoin any support.]
      2) " . . . itBit will be the first Bitcoin exchange to operate out of New York state - the capital of the financial world." [itBit can be used like a bank {NOT a reco}].
      3) Robinson thinks Overstock is trying to establish the first stock market that is based on the Bitcoin. {NOT a reco}
      4) Robinson wrote, " . . . [is anticipating] the SEC approval of the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust, which would be the first full-fledged Bitcoin ETF." {NOT a reco}
      Please, Bitcoins are not going to take off. There's too much working against them on the technical side.
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

• A quick way to unsubscribe a thread is to click on the "Thread tools" button near the top of the page. A menu will drop down, and it has the entry "Unsubscribe." There you go.

What technical issues? It does take much time to verify the blockchain. Anything else?
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          A quick way to unsubscribe a thread is to click on the "Thread tools" button near the top of the page. A menu will drop down, and it has the entry "Unsubscribe." There you go.

What technical issues? It does take much time to verify the blockchain. Anything else?
          It has a couple of issues plaguing it from usage in my eyes:
          1. The blockchain will increase to a point where it is infeasible to download.
          2. IIRC the way the client for Bitcoins is written, it doesn't allow you to move your wallet.dat(i.e where money is stored.)
          3. Transactions can be traced quite easily, unless multiple precautionary steps are taken.

I'll add once I remember the rest.
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

• I had to dig this up and lament.

As of the last post on May 08, 2015 BTC was $243.86. As of today, Oct 11, 2021, BTC is $57,506.35, an increase of 23,581%

IOW, a $5,000 investment while we were discussing this would've been worth $1.175M today.

Unfortunately I wasn't among them. Were you?

Comment

• Originally posted by nico View Post
              I had to dig this up and lament.

As of the last post on May 08, 2015 BTC was $243.86. As of today, Oct 11, 2021, BTC is $57,506.35, an increase of 23,581%

IOW, a $5,000 investment while we were discussing this would've been worth $1.175M today.

Unfortunately I wasn't among them. Were you?
              I finally broke even on Etherium, and am gaining on BitCoin --- Currently made about $80 on $350 investment.
              Not RICH, but not bad, and so far, letting it ride.

ETA: WOW --- just looked, and I'm actually up over $100 on my $350!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I finally broke even on Etherium, and am gaining on BitCoin --- Currently made about $80 on $350 investment.

Where's my cut of the booty?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Where's my cut of the booty?
                  I ate bacon this morning in your honor. Even shared some with Jake.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Right now, I'm earning money by watching coinbase videos.

Comment

Right now, I'm earning money by watching coinbase videos.
                      yeah I got several free coins that way. I also am earning interest on some of them. I put my Etherium into Etherium 2 as a "stake" and it is earning 6%. Basically it is locked into eth2 until it goes live and in the meantime they pay a staking fee for me letting them use it.

Comment

yeah I got several free coins that way. I also am earning interest on some of them. I put my Etherium into Etherium 2 as a "stake" and it is earning 6%. Basically it is locked into eth2 until it goes live and in the meantime they pay a staking fee for me letting them use it.
                        I'm checking into that myself, but I've already earned over $40 watching short videos.

Comment

I'm checking into that myself, but I've already earned over $40 watching short videos.
                          are you talking about the earning rewards where you watch 3 videos and earn like $3 in some crypto coin?(some are higher $)

Comment

are you talking about the earning rewards where you watch 3 videos and earn like $3 in some crypto coin?(some are higher $)
                            Yeah, is that bogus?

Comment

Yeah, is that bogus?
                              no. Just that it took me a long time to get anywhere near $40 so I was wondering if it was something else I had missed. They only seem to release a few such rewards at a time. You can even trade or sell the coins you get if you don't like them and buy something else.

Comment

I thought I'd have a bit a fun and throw some loose change on DOGE after the whole Elon Musk boost. I immediately made 20%, forgot I invested, checked back several weeks later, and down about -60% lol.

No harm there if I lose it all. But who knows, maybe a couple more billionaires might decide to pump it up for laughs & giggles to absurd heights and I'll take my wife on the vacation she's always wanted.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X