Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bitcoin versus other monies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have decided to start my own digital currency. Sparkocoin. Each Sparkocoin is worth $8,000 and if you buy them from me now, I will discount them to $5,000 each!

The security is flawless because the only way they can be created is by me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I have decided to start my own digital currency. Sparkocoin. Each Sparkocoin is worth $8,000 and if you buy them from me now, I will discount them to $5,000 each!

The security is flawless because the only way they can be created is by me personally.
      Do you accept Monopoly money?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Do you accept Monopoly money?
        Sorry, just gold bars and diamonds at this time. For security reasons you know.

Comment

Good grief, someone beat me in posting the news first. Oh, well, here's the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...502619422.html

Sparko, it's too easy for people to steal stuff from you. You'd be in the news like Mt Gox. Want all the embarrassment?
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            Good grief, someone beat me in posting the news first. Oh, well, here's the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...502619422.html

Sparko, it's too easy for people to steal stuff from you. You'd be in the news like Mt Gox. Want all the embarrassment?
            who do you think Mt Gox was?

Bitcoin sale will begin tomorrow.

Comment

How has the mighty fallen. From above $1000 per bitcoin to $400 or so. Hardbitten.
              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Problem, reaction, solution.

Create a new form of digital currency. Get the people that were originally in the "gold and silver stacker" community -- the anti-government people that were against the conventional fiat system -- to back it because they believe it's a rebellion against big banks and evil government. Get people outside that community acclimated to it via MSM coverage and praise of the new currency. Then create problems with said digital currency. Then create the solution. Let's wait and see if an alternative digital currency rises on the scene that is backed by government or a currency that is actually backed by banking institutions.

Come on, TK, you're supposed to be conspiracy-minded. You're slackin, dude

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Problem, reaction, solution.

Create a new form of digital currency. Get the people that were originally in the "gold and silver stacker" community -- the anti-government people that were against the conventional fiat system -- to back it because they believe it's a rebellion against big banks and evil government. Get people outside that community acclimated to it via MSM coverage and praise of the new currency. Then create problems with said digital currency. Then create the solution. Let's wait and see if an alternative digital currency rises on the scene that is backed by government or a currency that is actually backed by banking institutions.

Come on, TK, you're supposed to be conspiracy-minded. You're slackin, dude
                  yeah. wait till the bitcoin is over inflated, create panic, price drops, buy bitcoins at a cheap rate, announce hey everything is fine. Bitcoin value goes back up. sell at a profit.

Comment

It's possible if we assume this is all short term. The problem with that theory long term, however, is that a lot of people were skeptical of bitcoins going in because it looked like an obvious pump and dump scam. Now people will really be skeptical, including those that were on the fence about it. What I don't get is why people like Bernanke and the banks were willing to tarnish their financial reps by singing its praises when it looked so obvious like a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      It's possible if we assume this is all short term. The problem with that theory long term, however, is that a lot of people were skeptical of bitcoins going in because it looked like an obvious pump and dump scam. Now people will really be skeptical, including those that were on the fence about it. What I don't get is why people like Bernanke and the banks were willing to tarnish their financial reps by singing its praises when it looked so obvious like a scam.
                      The scammers need to get their cash and run before the government can shut them down or regulate them (no SEC on bitcoins)

Comment

Sorry, just gold bars and diamonds at this time. For security reasons you know.
                        diamond.jpg GoldBars.jpg

I will gladly exchange this uncut diamond and these gold bars for their worth in Sparkcoins.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]335[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]336[/ATTACH]

I will gladly exchange this uncut diamond and these gold bars for their worth in Sparkcoins.
                          Here you go sir!

Comment

Here you go sir!

I shall treasure it forever.

Or, you know, until the fad starts fading.

(That's actually a pretty spif image. Why can't we have money like that?)

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                              I shall treasure it forever.

Or, you know, until the fad starts fading.

(That's actually a pretty spif image. Why can't we have money like that?)
                              You do realize that it has a chocolate core don't you?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Uh-oh

Source: Mt. Gox website says all transactions closed "for the time being"

Prominent bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox posted an update on its website on Tuesday, saying a "decision was taken to close all transactions for the time being," citing "recent news reports and the potential repercussions on MtGox's operations."

The website went dark on Tuesday and its chief executive told Reuters that the business was "at a turning point." Mt. Gox halted withdrawals earlier this month after detecting what it called "unusual activity.

"We will be closely monitoring the situation and will react accordingly," the website said.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Bitcoin exchange fears $400m theft

Bitcoin is facing the biggest test of confidence in the nascent virtual currency, after its oldest and most famous exchange went dark and customers feared the loss of $400m worth of Bitcoin.

Mt Gox – a contraction of Magic the Gathering Online Exchange, after its origins as an exchange for the trading cards game – suddenly deleted its Twitter history and then pulled its website offline on Tuesday, prompting a swirl of rumour and recrimination.

In the hours that followed, a document circulated online alleging that the exchange had lost 744,000 Bitcoins – equivalent to almost 6 per cent of the 12.44m coins in circulation – in what the document referred to as “theft” by outside hackers.

Calls and emails to Mt Gox spokespeople seeking comment on the allegations were not returned, but while it remains unclear exactly what has happened, the exchange’s customers were coming to terms with the likelihood that they will not see their funds again.

Mt Gox had suspended customer withdrawals last month, but continued to allow trading, even as concerns mounted. It blamed the restrictions on a “bug” in Bitcoin, which allowed fraudsters to make it difficult for exchanges to track transactions, but other exchanges said they had implemented fixes for the problem.

Last week, Mt Gox said it was relocating its Tokyo office for security reasons. Senior Mt Gox staff also refused to engage with two protesters who spent days on the pavement outside the company’s headquarters in Tokyo’s Shibuya district, demanding their Bitcoins back.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X