Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Federal Gun Registry Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eider View Post
    Whooooaaaa up there!
    Gosh....... you sure do wanna fight somebody today, or so it seems... :)
    But not me matey! :)
    No, I what you to back up the claims you are making. You made them, you need to back them up. Not me.

If you read my post rather than glancing at it you will notice stuff like:-
    ................gun registration beyond conceal-carry licences probably won't happen.
    ...................... you shall have gun freedom. imo.
    I read it, too bad saying what won't happen doesn't mean you don't want something else to happen.

and of course most States require permits for conceal-carry, and you will have gun freedom forever, because there are over 300 million guns washing around in the USA and no amount of legislation could clear that lot up in a hundred years, is my guess.
    Why do you have such fear over that fact or at least sound like you do?

But you did ask questions, and I feel duty bound to do my best to answer, because I like you... :)

If you personally check out gun deaths per annum in Europe, and then the USA, that could help Q1
    Not at all because you need to see the reasons why. 2/3rds of all gun deaths are though suicides and yet the US suicide rate is less than several countries with far less guns. Japan (with a really really low gun ownership rate) has many more suicides than the US does. France also beats the US in suicides too. Clearly, people are going to find ways to kill themselves if they don't have access to a firearm. Your number is now cut by 2/3rds. We next run into criminals. There not going to register their guns and they cause the second most at around 9-11,000 per year . So when we look at accidents or improper handling, we are at maybe 2-3 deaths per day or 800 a year. In terms of accidents, you're far more likely to be killed by your car or even drowning than you are to be killed by an accidental gun shot.

If you check out suicides by gun in Europe and then USA, that might help.
    And yet, European suicide rates remain the same or greater than the US. Clearly, there's more ways to kill yourself than a gun shot wound.

If you look at gun accidents per annum in the US, and then ask yourself whether the injured victims got full compensation, full and paid hospital treatment, full costs and expenmses etc, and then look at a stat like:-
    http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#accidents
    In 2007, there were 613 fatal firearm accidents in the United States
    In 2007, there were roughly 15,698 emergency room visits for non-fatal firearm accidents,

........ I mean, suppose you got shot while out shopping because some idiot diodn't know his gun was loaded etc etc, wopuld you like that person to be insured? Easy, isn't it?
    Believe it or not, I can read too, but there is this thing called 'lawsuits' and 'legal action' that can be used if somebody accidentally shoots you, but as your own chart shows. The chances of that happening is pretty slim. You're far more likely to fall and break your leg than you are to get accidentally shot. Do we need to have fall insurance too?

As a last mention, because of all those guns, everywhere, your police do have to point and shoot sometimes, in fact US police shoot more people in about a month than Brit police have needed to shoot in one hundred years...... quite a stat, that.
    Lived in the US for decades. Never been in trouble with the law, let alone been shot at. Want to hear an amazing way to never get shot by police? Listen to what they say. I know, novel concept.

But you won't lose your guns....... absolutely not.
    And when you're done with your talking points, what I actually asked is awaiting an answer.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-25-2016, 07:26 PM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's not my homework, it's yours....... your home, your land, your decisions, your votes.
      I just noticed this stuff and remembered it.
      Lived here for decades, grew up around guns, amount of gun accidents in all those years? Zero. I've seen more car accidents than gun injuries. Why is that?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's not my homework, it's yours....... your home, your land, your decisions, your votes.
        I just noticed this stuff and remembered it.
        So, tell me... how many of those deaths are caused by law abiding home owners as compared to criminals?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, tell me... how many of those deaths are caused by law abiding home owners as compared to criminals?
          Looking up the numbers for myself (and using the stuff he provided) your chances of being injuries or even killed by an accident with a firearm is quite slim. You're more likely to be sent to the hospital tripping over a stool than being accidentally shot.
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            And when you're done with your talking points, what I actually asked is awaiting an answer.
            Your questions simply argumentative.
            I repeat......... you already require permits for conceal carry, and I don't expect to hear opf much further registration in your country anytime soon.
            So you need to go shout at somebody else.

But all the stats I have quoted I have backed up. You haven't bothered to back up any of yours. I don't think you can.

Comment

The thread title seems pretty click-baity. The database already exists and is being used. Hawaii is just expanding who they're putting on it.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Interesting question.
                Criminals! Nasty criminals!
                And since there are about 300 million guns in the USA (check it out yourself.... do some individual investigation?) criminals will get guns. Your gun fairs are completely unsupervised in some States. President Obama wants to do something about that but too many folks like such fairs.

No....... you won't get change. Not even with the multi-shooting incidents that occur so regularly..........

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  The thread title seems pretty click-baity.

The database already exists and is being used.
                  Citation, please.

Hawaii is just expanding who they're putting on it.
                  From USA Firearm Training

Source: USA Firearm Training

Generally speaking for the majority of American gun owners there is no system, database, or registry that ties us to any of our firearms. Even the Brady Act that created the background check system requires that the records of each background check be destroyed within 24 hours.Are guns registered in the united states

The Firearm Owners’ Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) is a United States federal law that revised many provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968. As such, FOPA makes it illegal for the national government or any state in the country to keep any sort of database or registry that ties firearms directly to their owner. The exact wording of the provision is as follows:

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary’s authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Interesting question.
                    And since there are about 300 million guns in the USA (check it out yourself....
                    How bout dialing down the drama a bit, eh? I'm fully aware of the hundreds of millions of guns available -- which makes it goofy to focus on the law abiding citizens.

do some individual investigation?)

criminals will get guns.
                    Yes, and no law will stop that. That's why they're criminals -- they don't obey laws.

Your gun fairs are completely unsupervised in some States.
                    My gun fairs?

President Obama wants to do something about that but too many folks like such fairs.
                    President Obama wants his own late night talk show.

No....... you won't get change. Not even with the multi-shooting incidents that occur so regularly..........
                    Umm..... My guns are secure, and I'm a firearms training officer, so, you need not worry about me.

Oh, and I noticed you completely dodged the question.

Comment

. . . snip . . . I repeat......... you already require permits for conceal carry . . snip . . .
                      I do not need a permit for concealed carry, and several other states are in the same boat.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Interesting question.
                        And since there are about 300 million guns in the USA (check it out yourself.... do some individual investigation?) criminals will get guns. Your gun fairs are completely unsupervised in some States. President Obama wants to do something about that but too many folks like such fairs.

You know, I asked where I can get a gun and take advantage of all those "loop holes." Fact is I can not do it. At least no one could tell me how.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Citation, please.
                          Read your own news article.

From USA Firearm Training

Source: USA Firearm Training

Generally speaking for the majority of American gun owners there is no system, database, or registry that ties us to any of our firearms. Even the Brady Act that created the background check system requires that the records of each background check be destroyed within 24 hours.Are guns registered in the united states

The Firearm Owners’ Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) is a United States federal law that revised many provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968. As such, FOPA makes it illegal for the national government or any state in the country to keep any sort of database or registry that ties firearms directly to their owner. The exact wording of the provision is as follows:

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary’s authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

© Copyright Original Source

Which doesn't change what I said. "Generally speaking" doesn't cover everything.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Interesting question.

Don't talk about gun fairs unless you've been to them. There's a lot of nonsense claims about them that just plain aren't true.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Read your own news article.

Which doesn't change what I said. "Generally speaking" doesn't cover everything.
                              Wow, uncharacteristically snippy.

OK, you said...

The database already exists and is being used.
                              What is "the database"?

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Looking up the numbers for myself (and using the stuff he provided) your chances of being injuries or even killed by an accident with a firearm is quite slim. You're more likely to be sent to the hospital tripping over a stool than being accidentally shot.
                                I'm a living, breathing example of that.
                                I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment