Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Body Work

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    So I have to see a car body shop for damages done to my front fender during an accident. I don't have collision so....

Any tips? Hopefully I get to see them tomorrow.
    If you are mechanically inclined, you can order the front fender over the internet, and get matching paint at the local auto parts store and replace it yourself. I have done this many times for my cars and those of my friends. Most front body parts are bolted on and relatively easy to remove. It takes of careful efforts to get the paint right. You need to carefully clean the fender and do not handle it with bare hands. The body parts come primed, A clear coat can be applied after. For older cars the match is not exact, because of fading, but for the most part everything is ok.

If the plastic hardware associated with the headlight is damaged it can be also ordered on the internet.

If you are not mechanically inclined without any experience, and not willing to try it, get three estimates and pay the piper.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-29-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

2. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If the insurance wasn't paying for this I might have considered that, shuny. Thank you.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm so glad I had property damage added. I don't know why I forgot that. My car isn't that old and I wanted to keep it in as good a shape as I can.

I WILL admit I've been looking at other cars, especially crossovers. I perhaps love my PT too much, and it *is* over ten years old, so most dealerships apparently don't like trades over the ten year mark. But I do like what's being done with the crossovers. I like cars that stand out and have captains chairs.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yay! The fender is replaced and the door opens!!!!! The paint job is great and they even applied the clear coat which pleases me. I have had enough of oxidizing paint jobs and don't want that starting with the PT.

It's peeling back on the rear bumper and looks like it's starting on the front. He confirmed it was the clear coat, and indicated it was a cheap job. Says his shop uses the top of the line. I know he's talking like that because I had hinted I MIGHT see him about the preexisting dent in my passenger door that I know I'll have to pay for myself...

I'm debating if I'm better off keeping my PT. Most of what I want are electronic (Nav aids, back up camera, etc) and the car has only a little over 90,000 miles on it. Might be cheaper to just upgrade the electronics.

6. Amen mikewhitney amen'd this post.