Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did God create logic? Or is logic further evidence of God’s existence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Can a human being exist with no space?
    Nope.

Can God exist without space?
    Yes.

God isn't limited by the physical framework He built for us.
    All I'm claiming here is that He also isn't limited by the mental framework He built for us.

Just as Jesus Christ stepped into time/space and limited His divinity to communicate with us so also did He step into the logical/rational framework and limited His divinity to communicate with us. It is nearly effortless to illustrate this: All logical arguments (as we understand them) are dependent upon time. The classic logical syllogism is a couple of premises followed by a conclusion - without time (a sequence) the fundamental laws of logic wouldn't even apply.
    But even without creating anything God is still logical and "bound" by logic. He still existed, was rational, and like I said, could not exist and not exist at the same 'time' in the same way. That is the basic law of non-contradiction. It is logic. That doesn't even depend on "time" as we know it. God existed. He could not be nonexistent, whether there was time and space or not. There was also only ONE God. Math is logical. God didn't create that either. It just is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      But even without creating anything God is still logical and "bound" by logic. He still existed, was rational, and like I said, could not exist and not exist at the same 'time' in the same way. That is the basic law of non-contradiction. It is logic. That doesn't even depend on "time" as we know it. God existed. He could not be nonexistent, whether there was time and space or not. There was also only ONE God. Math is logical. God didn't create that either. It just is.
      Shunyadragon, is that you? (1)

NOTES
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1: I'm trying to get Sparko to punch his monitor.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Too bad we can't ask Jesus in person! Would Jesus ever actually facepalm?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Too bad we can't ask Jesus in person! Would Jesus ever actually facepalm?
          I doubt he reads Sparko's posts.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

You doubt that God knows everything that's on the internet? Even the disgusting parts. And Jesus still wants us to spend eternity with Him. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              You doubt that God knows everything that's on the internet? Even the disgusting parts. And Jesus still wants us to spend eternity with Him. Wow!
              I find Sparko's posts confusing but I don't know if I'd refer to them as 'disgusting'.

Comment

I find Sparko's posts confusing but I don't know if I'd refer to them as 'disgusting'.
                Disgusting parts of the INTERNET that I don't go to. Things that I don't even want to mention. Some trolls dug to deep and those things came about in the interwebz.

Comment

Shunyadragon, is that you? (1)

NOTES
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  1: I'm trying to get Sparko to punch his monitor.
                  Yeah.

let me put it this way. Logic would not exist without God, because without God there would literally be nothing. Yet God did not "create" logic. Logic is dependent on God, as is everything, but it is merely a description of how things are, not something to be created. Like existence itself. Existence would not "exist" without God, but God didn't create "existence" -- he just existed. While he made us exist, "existence" itself isn't a thing to be made, it is a description of reality, the way things ARE. It is a concept. So is logic.

Comment

That isn't logical.

Comment

...but it is merely a description of how things are, not something to be created......it is a description of reality, the way things ARE. It is a concept. So is logic.
                      If there is nothing to describe then there is no description.

Comment

Nice work Meh Gerbil.
                        Q.E.D.

ETA: Sorry, forgot to sign in with my Trout sock puppet account.

Comment

as I said it describes reality itself. it is a way to reason out truth. it is a concept, a method. like math is. math isnt a thing, it is a method of discovering the reality of numerical relationships. the numerical relationships existed whether anyone knows about them or not. 1-1=0 is true whether we know it or not, and God didn't have to "create" that. it is just a truth. a fact. it cant be any other way. 1-1=20 is not possible. it is just nonsense.

Comment

as I said it describes reality itself. it is a way to reason out truth. it is a concept, a method. like math is. math isnt a thing, it is a method of discovering the reality of numerical relationships. the numerical relationships existed whether anyone knows about them or not. 1-1=0 is true whether we know it or not, and God didn't have to "create" that. it is just a truth. a fact. it cant be any other way. 1-1=20 is not possible. it is just nonsense.
                            It has to be understood that God himself is the fundamental self evident truth of all truth (Romans 1:19).
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              It has to be understood that God himself is the fundamental self evident truth of all truth (Romans 1:19).
                              and since truth is a fundamental property of God, it was not created by God. it is uncreated. thus Logic is uncreated.

Comment

and since truth is a fundamental property of God, it was not created by God. it is uncreated. thus Logic is uncreated.
                                Contingent upon God.
                                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment