Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Some good news for education.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good news for education.

Woman known for conspiracy posts loses Texas education race

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...education-race

A Texas education board candidate who claimed that President Barack Obama was a gay prostitute and believes dinosaurs walked the Earth with humans lost her primary runoff Tuesday night just two months after nearly clinching victory outright.

Mary Lou Bruner, a 69-year-old former schoolteacher, had been the front-runner for a seat on the powerful Texas State Board of Education that sets curriculum and textbook standards for more than 5 million schoolchildren. But her lead unraveled as old Facebook posts in which she peddled conspiracy theories and fringe political screeds drew greater attention and ridicule.

Voters instead picked Keven Ellis, a local school board president who ran a mainstream campaign, for the Republican nomination. He is now an automatic favorite to win in November in the staunchly conservative East Texas district. The Democratic nominee is a professor at Stephen F. Austin University.

Among Bruner's since-deleted posts was that Democrats killed John F. Kennedy, that climate change is a hoax concocted by Karl Marx, and that Obama's health care overhaul was an orchestrated plot to wipe 200 million people from the U.S. population. She also wrote that the flood from the biblical story of Noah's Ark is what destroyed the dinosaurs — and not a meteor as "concocted" by atheists. Some of the posts were several years old but captured by the Texas Freedom Network, left-leaning watchdog of the state education board.

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    Woman known for conspiracy posts loses Texas education race

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...education-race

Standard fundy stuff!
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Standard fundy stuff!
      Citation needed. I know my share of fundamentalists and I have never heard this claim advanced by anybody else.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Citation needed. I know my share of fundamentalists and I have never heard this claim advanced by anybody else.
        I was being tongue-in-cheek, but I guess 'Answers in Genesis' with its particular focus on supporting young Earth creationism, rejecting the scientific consensus on common descent and on the age of the Earth and claiming that the correct understanding of natural phenomena reveals its interpretation of Genesis to be scientifically accurate...et al...is not all that far from the mark with it's general air of paranoia.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I just wish our schools could turn out kids who can actually spell and do math!

U.S. Students Slide In Global Ranking On Math, Reading, Science

Source: NPR

American 15-year-olds continue to turn in flat results in a test that measures students' proficiency in reading, math and science worldwide, failing to crack the global top 20.

The Program for International Student Assessment, or PISA, collects test results from 65 countries for its rankings, which come out every three years. The latest results, from 2012, show that U.S. students ranked below average in math among the world's most-developed countries. They were close to average in science and reading.

"In mathematics, 29 nations and other jurisdictions outperformed the United States by a statistically significant margin, up from 23 three years ago," reports Education Week. "In science, 22 education systems scored above the U.S. average, up from 18 in 2009."

In reading, 19 other locales scored higher than U.S. students — a jump from nine in 2009, when the last assessment was performed.

The top overall scores came from Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Macao and Japan, followed by Lichtenstein, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Estonia.

© Copyright Original Source

But, hey, at least they'll have the 'proper' answers about other stuff.
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-26-2016, 07:41 AM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post

a seat on the powerful Texas State Board of Education that sets curriculum and textbook standards for more than 5 million schoolchildren.
            The problem is that such concentrated power exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I just wish our schools could turn out kids who can actually spell and do math!

U. S. Students Slide In Global Ranking On Math, Reading, Science

Source: NPR

American 15-year-olds continue to turn in flat results in a test that measures students' proficiency in reading, math and science worldwide, failing to crack the global top 20.

The Program for International Student Assessment, or PISA, collects test results from 65 countries for its rankings, which come out every three years. The latest results, from 2012, show that U.S. students ranked below average in math among the world's most-developed countries. They were close to average in science and reading.

"In mathematics, 29 nations and other jurisdictions outperformed the United States by a statistically significant margin, up from 23 three years ago," reports Education Week. "In science, 22 education systems scored above the U.S. average, up from 18 in 2009."

In reading, 19 other locales scored higher than U.S. students — a jump from nine in 2009, when the last assessment was performed.

The top overall scores came from Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Macao and Japan, followed by Lichtenstein, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Estonia.

© Copyright Original Source

That's racist.
              Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

I'm glad that witch is gone. It kinda boggles my mind that she was even in the running, though thankfully she's been vetted out.

Comment