Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Question about the Trinity

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I don't doubt that either. But it's that very "something that exists" which the word being denotes. Just because it doesn't make it easier to understand doesn't mean it isn't true.

That doesn't mean there isn't more to it than that, however. But that would require one to introduce the concept of essence (the thing that makes something that something, i.e it's nature) and how in God essence has actual existence, which is his being.

But I'm not sure how saying that being in the statement "God is three persons in one being" is the same as essence, which is the same as "that which makes God, God" is going to help Jaxb clear up his confusion.
    well first of all "God is three persons in one being" is not correct. It is "one God, revealed in three persons" - your sentence describes one being being composed of 3 persons as in 1/3 of each.

I don't recall any ancient creed even using "being"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    well first of all "God is three persons in one being" is not correct. It is "one God, revealed in three persons" - your sentence describes one being being composed of 3 persons as in 1/3 of each.

I don't recall any ancient creed even using "being"
    I think homoousia can be translated as "one in being".

Tbh I think it's more common to use the word "essence" rather than "being", so it would be "Thee person sharing (fully) in one essence". But in classical theism God's "essence" and "being" are one, so the words can be used interchangeably atleast in some contexts.

But I do agree that saying "God is three persons in one being" can open you up to misinterpretation unless you specify that all of the persons share fully in the Divine Being/Essence, and not just in 1/3rd of it each.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I think homoousia can be translated as "one in being".

Tbh I think it's more common to use the word "essence" rather than "being", so it would be "Thee person sharing (fully) in one essence". But in classical theism God's "essence" and "being" are one, so the words can be used interchangeably atleast in some contexts.

But I do agree that saying "God is three persons in one being" can open you up to misinterpretation unless you specify that all of the persons share fully in the Divine Being/Essence, and not just in 1/3rd of it each.
    the original argument by joel was that the ancient greeks used "being" to mean "something that exists" - as if he were explaining why 'being' should be interpreted that way now, but in fact, I don't know of any ancient descriptions of the Trinity that used "being" - they used "essence" as you pointed out. And "essence" isn't even a physical property like "something that exists" would be. So again, it was not helpful to explain the trinity. That was my original point.

Being in this thread is just someone trying to explain that there is one God (a being or entity that is singular and unique) who is revealed in three persons.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    the original argument by joel was that the ancient greeks used "being" to mean "something that exists" - as if he were explaining why 'being' should be interpreted that way now, but in fact, I don't know of any ancient descriptions of the Trinity that used "being" - they used "essence" as you pointed out.
    We may need to find out what is the history of "one being". Perhaps it isn't as old as I thought.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, you guys are right, it does seems that the traditional term is "essence" (Greek: ousia), not "being". So the question should be what is the difference between "essence" and "person".

I wonder where "one being" came from.

6. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Undergraduate
    Faith
    Unorthodox Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    God said "...let us make [man] in our image and in our likeness...". Jesus is this expressed image, a [man] in whom the fullness of God dwelt bodily according to the scriptures. Question: to whom was God speaking in the beginning when He said "...let us..."?