Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

USA people to die sooner than before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA people to die sooner than before?

Source: Jamanetwork--http://jamanetwork.com/solr/searchresults.aspx?q=%22lifespan%20weighed%20down%20by%22&allJournals=1&SearchSourceType=1

Since the end of the Civil War until the late 20th century, lifespan increased rapidly in the UnitedStates, a tremendous public health triumph brought about by a more dependable food supply, improved sanitation, and advances in medical care. In 1850, life expectancy among whites was an estimated 38 years for men and 40 years for women. These numbers nearly doubled by 1980, to 71 years for men and 78 years for women. With the start of the obesity epidemic in the late 1970s, this trend began to slow, leading some to predict that life expectancy would decline in the United States by the mid-21st century.

© Copyright Original Source

http://jamanetwork.com/solr/searchre...chSourceType=1

Let's discuss the issue as though as the USA is indeed going to experience a big drop in longevity for many years to come.

The USFG is surely to blame at least in part, considering how involved it has been since the 1960s in the health of the nation's people. If you disagree, please explain why (please do note that I am not putting all the blame on the USFG).

Vitamin D deficiencies may be to blame. Let's assume so, unless you have good reasons why not.

I do not agree with the JAMA editorial that is quoted above regarding more government action. The USFG has certainly not prevented the diabetic epidemic and may have worsened it.

This came in today: "F.D.A. finishes food labels for how we eat now" Sabrina Tavernise, May 20, 2016, The New York Times
    In the midst of the obesity epidemic, is it OK to daily eat one pint of ice cream now?
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

In 1850, life expectancy among whites was an estimated 38 years for men and 40 years for women
    This seems very low. Is this including deaths of infants? Because infant mortality rates can skew the numbers considerably.

Comment

This is what I don't get. you're very anti-governmetn involvement in anything, and yet you're blaming the US government for not doing enough to make sure people get enough exercise and sunshine and to stop eating junk food?
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        Let's discuss the issue as though as the USA is indeed going to experience a big drop in longevity for many years to come.
        A decline is not necessarily a 'big drop'.

The USFG is surely to blame at least in part, considering how involved it has been since the 1960s in the health of the nation's people. If you disagree, please explain why (please do note that I am not putting all the blame on the USFG).
        The USFG doesn't make people eat like crap and sit on the couch watching TV.

Vitamin D deficiencies may be to blame. Let's assume so, unless you have good reasons why not.
        Let's not assume anything unless you can actually prove this is an issue. Vitamin D is something we put into a lot of foods. Cereal and milk are two good examples.

The USFG has certainly not prevented the diabetic epidemic and may have worsened it.
        Again, backup your claims.

This came in today: "F.D.A. finishes food labels for how we eat now" Sabrina Tavernise, May 20, 2016, The New York Times
        In the midst of the obesity epidemic, is it OK to daily eat one pint of ice cream now?
        You made this part up. A label change doesn't tell you how much of anything to eat.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          This seems very low. Is this including deaths of infants? Because infant mortality rates can skew the numbers considerably.
          Mortality rate claims should always be suspect unless they're provided with information regarding how they were calculated. There's no consistent method.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            Let's not assume anything unless you can actually prove this is an issue. Vitamin D is something we put into a lot of foods. Cereal and milk are two good examples.
            Why don't you do the research yourself? Why bother with challenging someone who you think makes things up?

Again, backup your claims.
            What, the epidemic? Or the USFG made things worse? Or both?

You made this part up. A label change doesn't tell you how much of anything to eat.
            From the document that was quoted in my OP there is this line: "A single ice cream serving is two-thirds of a cup — compared with the current half cup."
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
              This is what I don't get. you're very anti-governmetn involvement in anything, and yet you're blaming the US government for not doing enough to make sure people get enough exercise and sunshine and to stop eating junk food?
              I'm puzzled how to answer your question. It seems as though you think I want the government to force us to eat wholesome food, get sunlight, exercise, etc.

People tend to trust the government's advice. A question to discuss here is whether the USFG (e.g., the FDA) is duping us so as to benefit Big Food.

Comment

I do not think we can '. . . discuss the issue as though as the USA is indeed going to experience a big drop in longevity for many years to come.' based on this article nor the other evidence of health and longevity in the USA.

Nonetheless we are experiencing a health crisis involving diet, exercise, health, and in particular health costs due to poor physical health and obesity. The other issue is the aging of the 'Baby Boomers,' which mostly have poor diets.

Sounds like your putting the USFG head on the block from my perspective, which is meaningless. The USFG cannot hold up the earth anymore than Atlas can.

I seriously doubt it. It is to simplistic, especially with too many other factors that impact the health and longevity.

I do not agree with the JAMA editorial that is quoted above regarding more government action. The USFG has certainly not prevented the diabetic epidemic and may have worsened it.
                I doubt USFG can do much about diabetic epidemic any more that Atlas can hold up the Earth. The obesity epidemic is caused by diets high in High Glycemic Carbohydrates (HGC), from potato chips, Wonder Withe Bread, tortilla chips, to sugar, and baked potatoes. HGC constitutes up to 2/3rds of the diet of many Americans. It represents the cocaine of our traditional 'Wonder Bread' American diet which dominates the world.

Your 'pint' is guilt free and good for you, as long it is not quarts, gallons, or many pints on a daily basis.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-26-2016, 10:40 PM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Why don't you do the research yourself? Why bother with challenging someone who you think makes things up?
                  That's not how this works. You don't get to make an assumption and then tell me I have to prove you wrong. I happen to know your nonsense is false.

What, the epidemic? Or the USFG made things worse? Or both?
                  That the federal government had any hand in making things worse.

From the document that was quoted in my OP there is this line: "A single ice cream serving is two-thirds of a cup — compared with the current half cup."
                  Which has what, exactly, to do with how much it's ok to eat in a day? Serving sizes are pretty arbitrary. They're useful only because they give you a multiplier for all the other numbers in the label.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I'm puzzled how to answer your question. It seems as though you think I want the government to force us to eat wholesome food, get sunlight, exercise, etc.

People tend to trust the government's advice. A question to discuss here is whether the USFG (e.g., the FDA) is duping us so as to benefit Big Food.
                    Big Food, is it? You really are something else.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

One thing at a time, Carrikature. Many school lunches follow federal guidelines, and have done so for years now. Well?

Comment

[cite=Jamanetwork--http://jamanetwork.com/solr/searchresults.aspx?q=%22lifespan%20weighed%20down% 20by%22&allJournals=1&SearchSourceType=1]
                        I'm not quite sure I follow the logic here. Why should we assume this, unless we have good reasons otherwise? Do we have any reasons to think this in the first place?
                        Last edited by Leonhard; 05-27-2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment