Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would like to debate regarding an issue of Christology.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Actually, it's a recommendation to a new Christian to not get caught up in a debate we've already had. It is only sticky because you refuse to let it go.
    I am not the only one who refuses to let it go here. The fact remains neither you nor anyone else here on Tweb are willing to debate this.

The fact is it is you OBP that should debate this with me. And you could even cite former "proofs" you think where already provided here on Tweb.

CP, I think we have more in common where we share some beliefs. You would be welcome to debate me too.

The Trinity, Eternal Sonship are two teachings not explicitly, that is, directly stated in those terms that are taught in the Word of God. This issue that I am willing to debate against could be at least as important if it were true. That false notion is the basis of the Arius heresy.
    Last edited by 37818; 10-31-2016, 08:17 AM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      I am not the only one who refuses to let it go here.
      *looks around* I don't see anyone else pushing for this.
      The fact remains neither you nor anyone else here on Tweb are willing to debate this again.
      Fixed that for you. We've discussed it. You're militating against 1700 years of received orthodoxy. I'm willing to discuss such topics once or twice, but then it's time to shake the dust off my feet and move on.
      CP, I think we have more in common where we share some beliefs. You would be welcome to debate me too.
      Bald attempt to drive a wedge. Nice.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        *looks around* I don't see anyone else pushing for this.
        No one here has the guts to debate it. It was you OBP who accused me of unorthodoxy of my not believing that notion because it has no support from the Word of God. I had asked for its Biblical support. And there was none. Interpretations were presented. Thank you.
        Fixed that for you. We've discussed it. You're militating against 1700 years of received orthodoxy.
        And that notion was the basis of the Arian heresy.
        I'm willing to discuss such topics once or twice, but then it's time to shake the dust off my feet and move on.
        OK. Please give the link here on Tweb where the matter was proven by you.
        Bald attempt to drive a wedge. Nice.
        An accusation.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

No one here has the guts to debate it.
          That's simply not true.

Ain't gonna happen, 37. Trying to get a straight answer from you is like trying to nail jello to a tree on a hot summer afternoon. I'm just not interested.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            That's simply not true.
            OK. Who will step of to the "plate?"

Ain't gonna happen, 37. Trying to get a straight answer from you is like trying to nail jello to a tree on a hot summer afternoon. I'm just not interested.
            OK. I'm sorry to hear you feel that I do not give straight answers. And that you are not interested, that is fine.

Oh, and thank you anyway. You always have my respect.

[OBP also has my respect BTW.]
            Last edited by 37818; 10-31-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Oh, and thank you anyway. You always have my respect.

[OBP also has my respect BTW.]
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is my contention that it is blindly supposed that the preincarnate (John 1:2) Word who is the Son of God was "eternally begotten of the Father from eternity." I would like to debate this with someone who will defend that view from the 66 books of the Bible.
                Are you trying to say that Jesus didn't always exist in the eternal past as God? Or, are you saying that he did exist but that was was not always the only begotten Son?

Comment

Originally posted by Daley View Post
                  Are you trying to say that Jesus didn't always exist in the eternal past as God? Or, are you saying that he did exist but that was was not always the only begotten Son?
                  Neither. I hold that the Son was always the Son of God and was always God with the Father.

Comment

37818, I'm not up for a debate on this issue, but if you're interested in reading a good defense of the Eternal Generation of the Son on biblical, theological and historical grounds you should see if you can get a hold of a copy of The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin N. Giles.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      37818, I'm not up for a debate on this issue, but if you're interested in reading a good defense of the Eternal Generation of the Son on biblical, theological and historical grounds you should see if you can get a hold of a copy of The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin N. Giles.
                      Thank you. I will check it out.
                      Last edited by 37818; 06-04-2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        The book is now in hand. See Study Room link.

My opposition to the concept of "the Son of God being begotten of the Father from eternity" is still open open for debate.

Comment

It is my contention that it is blindly supposed that the preincarnate (John 1:2) Word who is the Son of God was "eternally begotten of the Father from eternity." I would like to debate this with someone who will defend that view from the 66 books of the Bible.
                          I would be glad to debate this, as long as I am allowed to make deductions from Scripture, as is done in the doctrine of the Trinity.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Daley View Post
                            Neither. I contend that the eternal Son of God was always and was always God with His Father.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                              I would be glad to debate this, as long as I am allowed to make deductions from Scripture, as is done in the doctrine of the Trinity.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              That sounds good. The Trinity explanation from the Bible is not at issue. The eternal Sonship of the Son of God from the Bible is not at issue.

let me know if the following format is acceptable:

The title of the debate: "Was the only-begotten Son of God eternally begotten of the Father from eternity?"

You would have the opening argument.
                              I would give my rebuttal.
                              Then I would make argument against.
                              And you would give a closing rebuttal.
                              Last edited by 37818; 09-15-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Hi 37818, would you want me to have both the first and last word? I agree that it would be best if I make the opening statement.

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X