Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would like to debate regarding an issue of Christology.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Oh, and thank you anyway. You always have my respect.

[OBP also has my respect BTW.]

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is my contention that it is blindly supposed that the preincarnate (John 1:2) Word who is the Son of God was "eternally begotten of the Father from eternity." I would like to debate this with someone who will defend that view from the 66 books of the Bible.
    Are you trying to say that Jesus didn't always exist in the eternal past as God? Or, are you saying that he did exist but that was was not always the only begotten Son?

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daley View Post
    Are you trying to say that Jesus didn't always exist in the eternal past as God? Or, are you saying that he did exist but that was was not always the only begotten Son?
    Neither. I hold that the Son was always the Son of God and was always God with the Father.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    37818, I'm not up for a debate on this issue, but if you're interested in reading a good defense of the Eternal Generation of the Son on biblical, theological and historical grounds you should see if you can get a hold of a copy of The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin N. Giles.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    37818, I'm not up for a debate on this issue, but if you're interested in reading a good defense of the Eternal Generation of the Son on biblical, theological and historical grounds you should see if you can get a hold of a copy of The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin N. Giles.
    Thank you. I will check it out.
    Last edited by 37818; 06-05-2017 at 02:15 AM.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    The book is now in hand. See Study Room link.

My opposition to the concept of "the Son of God being begotten of the Father from eternity" is still open open for debate.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is my contention that it is blindly supposed that the preincarnate (John 1:2) Word who is the Son of God was "eternally begotten of the Father from eternity." I would like to debate this with someone who will defend that view from the 66 books of the Bible.
    I would be glad to debate this, as long as I am allowed to make deductions from Scripture, as is done in the doctrine of the Trinity.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daley View Post
    Neither. I contend that the eternal Son of God was always and was always God with His Father.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    I would be glad to debate this, as long as I am allowed to make deductions from Scripture, as is done in the doctrine of the Trinity.

Blessings,
    Lee
    That sounds good. The Trinity explanation from the Bible is not at issue. The eternal Sonship of the Son of God from the Bible is not at issue.

let me know if the following format is acceptable:

The title of the debate: "Was the only-begotten Son of God eternally begotten of the Father from eternity?"

You would have the opening argument.
    I would give my rebuttal.
    Then I would make argument against.
    And you would give a closing rebuttal.
    Last edited by 37818; 09-15-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hi 37818, would you want me to have both the first and last word? I agree that it would be best if I make the opening statement.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)