Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Do statins really postpone death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do statins really postpone death?

Finally, what I was asking for, data for and analysis of death postponement. Not for vaccines, alas, but statins are still not to be ignored. Those are heavily promoted and doctors still write a big number of statin prescriptions. There are serious side effects, the "benefits" of statins are claimed to "far outweigh" the drawbacks. Now, do statins postpone death by years? No! The study linked below says that if death was indeed postponed, it was by days, like three days. The margin of statistical error was such that maybe death did come sooner, by around like 2 days.

"The effect of statins on average survival in randomised trials, an analysis of end point postponement," BMJ (www.bmjopen.bmj.com) 9/25/2015***click here>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26408281
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Interesting.... I'm beyond 60 years of age, and the only medication I take is a baby aspirin each morning. I had been wondering if I should be on statins, because nearly everybody I know my age is.

But, besides being a bit over weight, I'm purdy durn healthy for a guy my age, and my cholesterol and other levels seem fine.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have been taking Crestor for years and my only symptom as a ressult is a quarterly series of blood tests.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

who said they are supposed to "postpone death?"

That's a pretty bold claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I have been taking Crestor for years and my only symptom as a ressult is a quarterly series of blood tests.
          Same here. I'm on Crestor, and I have no side effects, and my ldl is much lower since I started taking it.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            who said they are supposed to "postpone death?"

That's a pretty bold claim.
            Because they observed the parallel universe where that "you" didn't take it and they saw how much longer the other "you" lived. Silly.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I was planning on dying in another 100 years, but I should postpone it by taking a statin.

I have a new one I invented myself. I call it Procrastistatin.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Interesting.... I'm beyond 60 years of age, and the only medication I take is a baby aspirin each morning. I had been wondering if I should be on statins, because nearly everybody I know my age is.

But, besides being a bit over weight, I'm purdy durn healthy for a guy my age, and my cholesterol and other levels seem fine.

My dad is 77. Very fit for his age (fitter than a number of people half his age, still stumping around the mountain side sorting out the water pipes after the cows have kicked them loose, riding his bicycle into town etc.)

He just discovered he had a major blockage in one of his arteries. He was having stable anginas whenever he exerted himself. When he wasn't exerting himself he was fine. Nothing showed up on his regular EKG's. His cholesterol levels were good. It was only when they put him on a treadmill could they detect the problem.

He's had a stent put in (two weeks ago) and he's largely back to normal now (and I think on statins). What really scared him is discovering that for some time he's been in serious danger of a heart attack while thinking he was fine.

Moral of the story, once you get older, get them to do stricter testing. make sure they test your heart on a treadmill as well.
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Great! Congratulations!
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

who said they are supposed to "postpone death?" That's a pretty bold claim.
                    Not sure what you mean.

Comment

So, y'all are pretty sure you are not suffering any nasty side effects? Also that there will be none?

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        Not sure what you mean.
                        you are saying they claim to postpone death. can you show me where they make this claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          make sure they test your heart on a treadmill as well.
                          They don't have to take it out to do that, do they?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They don't have to take it out to do that, do they?
                            Yup. You get to watch it running in the treadmill
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

you are saying they claim to postpone death. can you show me where they make this claim?
                              Did you click on the last link given in the OP? And it was not I who made that claim. The authors of that scientific paper concluded that statins do very little good if at all.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X