Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Poll: The word of God is inerrant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The reverse is most likely true. Arguing a minority view that does not reflect the reality of of the dominant apologists of traditional Christianity. Your claim of prominence is an argument of popularity from a few.
    Again, it seems you do not understand what an argument from popularity is. I am merely trying to educate you that this is indeed a major theological opinion from prominent mainstream theologians and not an anonymous minority view. That does not make it true. But it is a mainstream view. Of course, I've never polled theologians to try and determine the percentage of theologians who hold this view. I think it is practically a given among all the theologians I have known and worked with. I can't think of a single prominent theologian who argues the contrary. If you can, let's hear it.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Ever heard the term "Exercise in futility"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        Ever heard the term "Exercise in futility"?
        Yes, particularly when people argue from a minority selective interpretation of scripture.

You should be aware by now that Robrecht does not believe in any form of inerrancy nor infallibility, nor the existence of Adam and Eve. He proposes a vague 'theological reflection' as a basis for his belief. It is a rather slippery perspective that does not fit traditional Christianity apologetics.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Yes, particularly when people argue from a minority selective interpretation of scripture.

You should be aware by now that Robrecht does not believe in any form of inerrancy nor infallibility, nor the existence of Adam and Eve. He proposes a vague 'theological reflection' as a basis for his belief. It is a rather slippery perspective that does not fit traditional Christianity apologetics.
          No, that is not my view. I do not claim that theological reflection, which is not at all vague, by the way, is the basis of my belief. I claim merely that individual and especially communal theological reflection is involved in the process of the definition of doctrines, eg, in church councils. When theologians study and discuss the historical development of doctrines this is patently obvious to all and is in no way a minority opinion among theologians.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            No, that is not my view. I do not claim that theological reflection, which is not at all vague, by the way, is the basis of my belief. I claim merely that individual and especially communal theological reflection is involved in the process of the definition of doctrines, eg, in church councils. When theologians study and discuss the historical development of doctrines this is patently obvious to all and is in no way a minority opinion among theologians.
            You claimed that Theological Reflection was the reason you believe in the Trinity. That is pretty foundational to your belief system.

It is not a matter of 'theologians study and discuss the historical development of doctrine.' Every theologian and apologist does this. It is your conclusions.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-10-2016, 04:31 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

You claimed that Theological Reflection was the reason you believe in the Trinity. That is preety foundational to your belief system.
              No, I did not. You misunderstood. If you look up our earlier discussions, this should become clear.

Comment