Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is downloading music freely from the internet wrong in terms of biblical morality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is downloading music freely from the internet wrong in terms of biblical morality?

Seriously, I want to know. Would it be stealing as defined by the bible?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Yes,it would be.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Only if it's copyrighted or not released under some sort of license (i.e. a Creative Commons license).
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Only if it's copyrighted or not released under some sort of license (i.e. a Creative Commons license).
        I should have added that to my answer. It's perfectly fine if it's a public domain,GNU License, or a Creative Commons song. However,if it's copyrighted(like KG said),it would be wrong.
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

Ok then thanks!
          -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
          Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
          Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

You're better off nerding it up a little bit (like me) and collecting CDs, or nerding it up a lot (not like me...not yet) and buying vinyls.

But yeah, if it's not offered for free by the band themselves (some bands do this, particularly within my genre), don't download it for free.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Turn the radio on.

Comment

No as long as you don't break the law. In fact I recommend you avoid buying entertainment whenever you can considering the types of people who run the industry and profit the most from it.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It gets grey when the rights to the IP is held by a dead company/author and the inheritor can't be determined easily, etc, etc.

Comment

I need to convert my wax cylinders to mp3 or something.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It depends on your broader view of intellectual property in general, with it being wrong if you accept the existence of intellectual property and it being acceptable if you deny it. I actually avoid downloading free music when the artist doesn't want me to (I'm also a vinyl junkie) but don't see anything wrong with it as I reject IP.

Comment

Stealing is fundamentally taking something you have no right to. If you have a right to it, then it's fair game. Whether or not you have a right to it depends on the laws of the government that you live in, so check there.

Comment

I have no hesitation in saying that downloading unpaid music from the internet is both wrong and a bad idea. If musicians can't make a living, there will not be musicians. The music industry already operates on the cheap, using chintzy tools like AutoTune and sampling to reduce the cost of production while suffering in quality.

My own current real-life concern is that I'm setting up a media server so I can store all my DVDs in the attic, but apparently doing such a thing is technically a violation of the DMCA, whether I think it should be or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                            I have no hesitation in saying that downloading unpaid music from the internet is both wrong and a bad idea. If musicians can't make a living, there will not be musicians. The music industry already operates on the cheap, using chintzy tools like AutoTune and sampling to reduce the cost of production while suffering in quality.

My own current real-life concern is that I'm setting up a media server so I can store all my DVDs in the attic, but apparently doing such a thing is technically a violation of the DMCA, whether I think it should be or not.
                            My understanding is that if you copy DVD's for personal use, and do not share them you are not in anyway violating the law. However if you share the copy with anyone else, that is a violation of the law. Copywrights are funny that way. Its other than Personal use. I think that's how teachers get around it. they take something make 20 copies of it, let the students mark it up, and then file it away in their personal files.
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                              My understanding is that if you copy DVD's for personal use, and do not share them you are not in anyway violating the law. However if you share the copy with anyone else, that is a violation of the law. Copywrights are funny that way. Its other than Personal use. I think that's how teachers get around it. they take something make 20 copies of it, let the students mark it up, and then file it away in their personal files.
                              only if you already OWN the original DVD. You can't just rent them and copy them for your own use.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X