Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

This just in from the Libertarian Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who is the official libertarian candidate (prez and vice) and what do they stand for?

seriously thinking of voting libertarian just because I don't want Trump or Hillary. But I still want to make sure I am not voting for some hippy liberal nutcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So who is the official libertarian candidate (prez and vice) and what do they stand for?

seriously thinking of voting libertarian just because I don't want Trump or Hillary. But I still want to make sure I am not voting for some hippy liberal nutcase.
      Governors Johnson and Weld (yes two former governors) are the official ticket. You will have some disagreements, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. They are a bit moderate for my taste but for most people that is a feature not a bug. They are experienced and committed to shrinking big government. As far as "liberal" you would have to define your terms. Today's "liberals" aren't liberals, they are progressives. Libertarians are generally in the classical liberal spectrum.

The LP ticket is the only sane choice this election.
      The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
        Governors Johnson and Weld (yes two former governors) are the official ticket. You will have some disagreements, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. They are a bit moderate for my taste but for most people that is a feature not a bug. They are experienced and committed to shrinking big government. As far as "liberal" you would have to define your terms. Today's "liberals" aren't liberals, they are progressives. Libertarians are generally in the classical liberal spectrum.

The LP ticket is the only sane choice this election.
        I am believing that so far. Trump or Hillary would be a disaster and comedy show all rolled into one.

So how are Johnson/Weld on issues of concern to Christians, like abortion? Is there a summary site I can visit to check them on the various issues?

Comment

I am believing that so far. Trump or Hillary would be a disaster and comedy show all rolled into one.

So how are Johnson/Weld on issues of concern to Christians, like abortion? Is there a summary site I can visit to check them on the various issues?
          isidewith.com is a very helpful site and their positions are there

ontheissues.org is as well

(they may not be fully updated with Weld information yet but it is the Presidential candidate that is the one to concentrate on).

On abortion, you will not be in agreement. The Libertarian Party is pro-choice. There was an attempt at convention to remove that plank and it was soundly defeated. Johnson is not as strong on some religious liberty issues as I would like but he is not worse than Trump on that and certainly way better than Clinton. In general however, the Libertarian ideal is very very strong on religious liberty... well liberty of all kinds including liberties to do some things you would not approve of. That liberty thing has to go both ways.

I really think you will like Johnson. I highly suggest you visit the Libertarian Party national Facebook page regularly, a ton of media interviews and information is being posted about Johnson, and of course you can ask me any questions you have.

sigpic

Comment

FWIW however, Governor Johnson does believe that abortion should be illegal in actuality after viability. Thus he is functionally more pro-life than some actual pro-life old party candidates.

sigpic

Comment

On abortion, Trump claims to be prolife and wants to defund planned parenthood, but I just don't trust Trump. I think he just says what he thinks people want to hear on a lot of issues and then will just claim to change his mind later. But then most politicians do that.

Arrrg!!! This election is like trying to decide if I want to stab myself in the left eye or the right.

Comment

My biggest concerns based on what I saw at ontheissues:

1) He's against stem cell research.
                2) Unlimited corporation campaign donations is downright stupid.
                3) I'd have to be convinced that eliminating certain taxes actually translates into jobs.
                4) General healthcare problems (including his stance on birth control).
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  My biggest concerns based on what I saw at ontheissues:

1) He's against stem cell research.
                  2) Unlimited corporation campaign donations is downright stupid.
                  3) I'd have to be convinced that eliminating certain taxes actually translates into jobs.
                  4) General healthcare problems (including his stance on birth control).
                  I should clarify #1 to be "against federal funding for".
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

On abortion, Trump claims to be prolife and wants to defund planned parenthood, but I just don't trust Trump. I think he just says what he thinks people want to hear on a lot of issues and then will just claim to change his mind later. But then most politicians do that.

Arrrg!!! This election is like trying to decide if I want to stab myself in the left eye or the right.
                    Considering that he left the Republican party because of their opposition to partial birth abortion which he thought was too extreme...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Considering that he left the Republican party because of their opposition to partial birth abortion which he thought was too extreme...
                      yeah he claims to have become prolife in 2011, but who is to say he wont change his mind again?

Comment

yeah he claims to have become prolife in 2011, but who is to say he wont change his mind again?
                        Trump is better known for changing his reality. He'll just claim he was always pro-choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
                          isidewith.com is a very helpful site and their positions are there.
                          This was really useful. I ended up 78% with Gary Johnson, though there are some significant (imo) discrepancies. Still better than anyone else.

(If anyone is interested, though keep in mind not all answers perfectly captured my thoughts.)
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I side with Trump 89%...

http://www.isidewith.com/elections/2...ial/2360574729
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              Trump is better known for changing his reality. He'll just claim he was always pro-choice.
                              No he doesn't. He has repeatedly said that he changed his view on abortion in 2008 (IIRC) when a dear friend's wife had a baby and he realized abortion was wrong.

Source: http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Donald_Trump_Abortion.htm

Q: In 1999, you said you were "very pro- choice." Even supporting partial-birth abortion.

TRUMP: I've evolved on many issues over the years. And you know who else has? Is Ronald Reagan evolved on many issues. And I am pro-life. And if you look at the question, I was in business. They asked me a question as to pro-life or choice. And I said if you let [that quoted excerpt] run, that I hate the concept of abortion. I hate the concept of abortion. And then since then, I've very much evolved. And what happened is friends of mine years ago were going to have a child, and it was going to be aborted. And it wasn't aborted. And that child today is a total superstar, a great, great child. And I saw that. And I saw other instances. And I am very, very proud to say that I am pro-life.

© Copyright Original Source

Why do you liberals keep ignoring that??? It's easy as a google search away...
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I had a crack at this- bearing in mind I'm obviously not American, I tried to relate as much as I could to the uk.

Turns out I would be a democrat if I were American- though I'm listed as strongly centralist. Tbh I don't agree with all of the results, but that's mostly due to me not living there

http://www.isidewith.com/elections/2...from=FPZZNRTJP

Comment