Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FATE Accelerated Edition Supers Game... Any Interest?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

FATE Accelerated Edition Supers Game... Any Interest?

http://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started

Here's a link to the book. The SRD and the PDF are Free (the latter is technically Pay-What-You-Want), but a physical copy of the book is $5 if you're inclined.

So, my Wednesday night game has sold me on the concept of using narrative systems like FATE (Specifically, the Accelerated Edition) for Superhero Games. Why? Mostly because Narrative systems have fewer moving pieces that can be broken. Another way to put it? Players' heroes are less likely to be overshadowed or banned from being OP, and the GM is less likely to keep 100 different variations of "Cthulhu in Power Armor," around just to give the players a challenge.

Granted, they're not perfect. Narrative games require everyone to be on the same page when it comes to the overall expectations for the game. Yes that's technically true for ALL games, but nothing Flushes a Narrative game down the toilet faster than four people with five different expectations for the game.

So... anyone Interested? Concerned? Questioning?
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'll say I'm interested, but what exactly are your expectations for the narrative?

3. Amen Carrikature amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I'll say I'm interested, but what exactly are your expectations for the narrative?
    At this point, I could go for running anything... be it a Post-Apocalyptic "Rebuild Earth" story, simple Gimmicky Silver-Age Shenanigans, or even Urban Grimdark Vigilantism.
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are there any particular comics, movies, or shows that are inspiring you at the moment?

I'm a little tempted to suggest something along the lines of One Punch Man, maybe not in the superhero association or constant destruction of cities, but more playing around with the concept of the DMPC or Mary Sue, with the players either cleaning up the messes they make, taking care of the problems they miss, stalling for time until they finally show up, or pranking them when they won't figure out it was you.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    At this point, I could go for running anything... be it a Post-Apocalyptic "Rebuild Earth" story, simple Gimmicky Silver-Age Shenanigans, or even Urban Grimdark Vigilantism.
    I don't know what these words mean.

I think part of being on the same page is expectation of seriousness, too. Shenanigans vs actually striving to rebuild the world are very different levels.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are there any particular comics, movies, or shows that are inspiring you at the moment?

I'm a little tempted to suggest something along the lines of One Punch Man, maybe not in the superhero association or constant destruction of cities, but more playing around with the concept of the DMPC or Mary Sue, with the players either cleaning up the messes they make, taking care of the problems they miss, stalling for time until they finally show up, or pranking them when they won't figure out it was you.
    Now that you mention it, the concept of an Interdimensional Insurance Agent has been on my mind lately... mostly because I need to listen to that particular Audiobook sometime. Since I've given this some thought, maybe a dimensional police force designed to protect Prime/Alternate Universes from Villains (and Heroes) from messing up the time stream. The PCs would be extradimensional beings and their powers would be framed around characteristics of time (ie, Biology, Seasons, Movement, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    I don't know what these words mean.

I think part of being on the same page is expectation of seriousness, too. Shenanigans vs actually striving to rebuild the world are very different levels.
    That's part of what I was getting at. I've seen a couple Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themed games go down the tubes because we had several people approaching the game VERY differently with regards to tone.
    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 06-04-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Now that you mention it, the concept of an Interdimensional Insurance Agent has been on my mind lately... mostly because I need to listen to that particular Audiobook sometime. Since I've given this some thought, maybe a dimensional police force designed to protect Prime/Alternate Universes from Villains (and Heroes) from messing up the time stream. The PCs would be extradimensional beings and their powers would be framed around characteristics of time (ie, Biology, Seasons, Movement, etc).
    Would most sessions take place in different universes? Would we be continually running into goatee'd versions of characters we've met in other universes?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Would most sessions take place in different universes? Would we be continually running into goatee'd versions of characters we've met in other universes?
    It'd be taking place in one Universe (basically, you're Beat Cops for a specific Timeline), but you'd get involved in all sorts of shenanigans based on the "Time Anomaly of the Week."

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It'd be taking place in one Universe (basically, you're Beat Cops for a specific Timeline), but you'd get involved in all sorts of shenanigans based on the "Time Anomaly of the Week."
    No Not Nale for us.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That sounds cool.

That's part of what I was getting at. I've seen a couple Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themed games go down the tubes because we had several people approaching the game VERY differently with regards to tone.
    Right. I think I ran into that problem a little with the M&M campaign we did briefly. I'm ok with shenanigans, I just need to know that's what to expect.
    I'm not here anymore.