Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FATE Accelerated Edition Supers Game... Any Interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FATE Accelerated Edition Supers Game... Any Interest?

http://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started

Here's a link to the book. The SRD and the PDF are Free (the latter is technically Pay-What-You-Want), but a physical copy of the book is $5 if you're inclined.

So, my Wednesday night game has sold me on the concept of using narrative systems like FATE (Specifically, the Accelerated Edition) for Superhero Games. Why? Mostly because Narrative systems have fewer moving pieces that can be broken. Another way to put it? Players' heroes are less likely to be overshadowed or banned from being OP, and the GM is less likely to keep 100 different variations of "Cthulhu in Power Armor," around just to give the players a challenge.

Granted, they're not perfect. Narrative games require everyone to be on the same page when it comes to the overall expectations for the game. Yes that's technically true for ALL games, but nothing Flushes a Narrative game down the toilet faster than four people with five different expectations for the game.

So... anyone Interested? Concerned? Questioning?
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

I'll say I'm interested, but what exactly are your expectations for the narrative?
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      I'll say I'm interested, but what exactly are your expectations for the narrative?
      At this point, I could go for running anything... be it a Post-Apocalyptic "Rebuild Earth" story, simple Gimmicky Silver-Age Shenanigans, or even Urban Grimdark Vigilantism.

Comment

Are there any particular comics, movies, or shows that are inspiring you at the moment?

I'm a little tempted to suggest something along the lines of One Punch Man, maybe not in the superhero association or constant destruction of cities, but more playing around with the concept of the DMPC or Mary Sue, with the players either cleaning up the messes they make, taking care of the problems they miss, stalling for time until they finally show up, or pranking them when they won't figure out it was you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
          At this point, I could go for running anything... be it a Post-Apocalyptic "Rebuild Earth" story, simple Gimmicky Silver-Age Shenanigans, or even Urban Grimdark Vigilantism.
          I don't know what these words mean.

I think part of being on the same page is expectation of seriousness, too. Shenanigans vs actually striving to rebuild the world are very different levels.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Are there any particular comics, movies, or shows that are inspiring you at the moment?

I'm a little tempted to suggest something along the lines of One Punch Man, maybe not in the superhero association or constant destruction of cities, but more playing around with the concept of the DMPC or Mary Sue, with the players either cleaning up the messes they make, taking care of the problems they miss, stalling for time until they finally show up, or pranking them when they won't figure out it was you.
            Now that you mention it, the concept of an Interdimensional Insurance Agent has been on my mind lately... mostly because I need to listen to that particular Audiobook sometime. Since I've given this some thought, maybe a dimensional police force designed to protect Prime/Alternate Universes from Villains (and Heroes) from messing up the time stream. The PCs would be extradimensional beings and their powers would be framed around characteristics of time (ie, Biology, Seasons, Movement, etc).

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            I don't know what these words mean.

I think part of being on the same page is expectation of seriousness, too. Shenanigans vs actually striving to rebuild the world are very different levels.
            That's part of what I was getting at. I've seen a couple Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themed games go down the tubes because we had several people approaching the game VERY differently with regards to tone.
            Last edited by Chaotic Void; 06-04-2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Now that you mention it, the concept of an Interdimensional Insurance Agent has been on my mind lately... mostly because I need to listen to that particular Audiobook sometime. Since I've given this some thought, maybe a dimensional police force designed to protect Prime/Alternate Universes from Villains (and Heroes) from messing up the time stream. The PCs would be extradimensional beings and their powers would be framed around characteristics of time (ie, Biology, Seasons, Movement, etc).
              Would most sessions take place in different universes? Would we be continually running into goatee'd versions of characters we've met in other universes?

Comment

Would most sessions take place in different universes? Would we be continually running into goatee'd versions of characters we've met in other universes?
                It'd be taking place in one Universe (basically, you're Beat Cops for a specific Timeline), but you'd get involved in all sorts of shenanigans based on the "Time Anomaly of the Week."

Comment

It'd be taking place in one Universe (basically, you're Beat Cops for a specific Timeline), but you'd get involved in all sorts of shenanigans based on the "Time Anomaly of the Week."
                  No Not Nale for us.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

That sounds cool.

That's part of what I was getting at. I've seen a couple Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themed games go down the tubes because we had several people approaching the game VERY differently with regards to tone.
                    Right. I think I ran into that problem a little with the M&M campaign we did briefly. I'm ok with shenanigans, I just need to know that's what to expect.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      That sounds cool.

Right. I think I ran into that problem a little with the M&M campaign we did briefly. I'm ok with shenanigans, I just need to know that's what to expect.
                      Yeah, this one will have a clearer focus as to what the heroes will be doing.

I'm planning to start with episodic adventures, then if I manage to maintain interest I can easily tweak it into a Long-Term Game.

I'll see what I can do about providing a Data Sheet with a Synopsis,etc for people to gawk at.

Comment

Count me in, then.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

As promised, here's a Data Sheet for the game. Subject to Revision as needed.

**SETUP**
                          Setting: Alternate Universe
                          Scale: Semi-Cosmic
                          Role of Heroes: The Heroes are members of the Ascended Ones; Extra-Dimensional Humanoid beings tasked with overseeing and maintaining the integrity of the Omniverse.

**ISSUES (Known Hurdles for the Players to Address)**
                          Current:
                          Time Anomalies (The ChronoCops have to Observe, Maintain, and Repair anomalies in the Timeline)

Impending:
                          N/A

**FACES AND PLACES (Key Places and People)**
                          'Face': The Ascended Ones
                          Aspect: Race of beings that Oversees the Omniverse

Place: ChronoCops
                          Aspect: The Enforcers of the Timeline
                          Face: Commissioner Azathol
                          Aspect: Head Honcho of the ChronoCops
                          Face: Chief Goltt
                          Aspect: Chief of K-42's Observation Precinct

Place: Alternate Timeline K-42
                          Aspect: Major Metahuman Activity

**DIALS (Mechanical Stuff)**
                          Aspects: 5 - High Concept, Trouble, 3 Miscellaneous Aspects
                          Skills/Approaches: Approaches (+3/+2/+2/+1/+1/0)
                          Refresh Rate (How Many Fate Points you Start With): 3
                          Initial Stunts: 3 (1 Minimum)
                          Stress Tracks: One
                          Default Stress Boxes: 3 (Absorbs 1, 2, or 3 Shifts)
                          Default Consequence Slots: 2/4/6

**APPROACHES (And How they Work)**
                          There are Six Approaches to Solving Problems...

Careful (You take your time, ensuring diligence in the task)
                          Sneaky (You do things with discretion)
                          Quick (You get the job done as quickly as possible)
                          Forceful (You deal with tasks as aggressively as possible)
                          Flashy (You do things with style, panache, and possibly EXPLOSIONS!)
                          Clever (You work smarter, not harder)

The way to look at it is like this: However you approach the situation, it's at the expense of any other way to address it. If you do something Forcefully, you're not being Careful, Sneaky, Quick, Flashy, or Clever. Sometimes, certain approaches will be inefficient for a certain situation (Sneaky is Ideal for getting around guards. Forceful? Not so Much).

**STUNT TYPES** (Think of them as Feats, in a way)
                          You start with one stunt minimum. Make sure that your Stunts are based upon your Aspects somehow. You can have a Maximum of Three Stunts for Free (but you can take more at the cost of Refresh)

A good template is, "Because of (Insert Aspect Here), I can (Either gain +2 Using an Approach in a specific situation, or do something really handy once per session)"

For instance, "Because I'm the Fastest Man Alive, Once Per Session I can join a Scene regardless of my prior location."

**EXTRAS**
                          Give me a Blurb about your character's powers and unique skills. Their powers have to reflect a characteristic of Time or Space.

Edited to Add: Here's my Character Sheet from a game I'm currently a Part of Elsewhere, just to give people an idea of what a character looks like:

Name: Graffiti
                          Played by: (Me)
                          Refresh: 3

High Concept: Rune Mage of Thularlyeh
                          Trouble: The Hooded Ones Are Onto Me
                          Aspect 1: Runaway Royalty
                          Aspect 2: Streetwise Fast-Talker
                          Aspect 3: This Art Degree Ain't Just for Show

**Approaches** (+3, +2, +2, +1, +1, 0)
                          Careful +1
                          Clever +3
                          Flashy +2
                          Forceful +0
                          Quick +1
                          Sneaky +2

**Stunts**
                          -Because I'm a Streetwise Fast-Talker, I gain +2 to Quickly Create Advantages when I try to Confuse the Heck out of Someone in Conversation
                          -Because I'm used to getaways, being Runaway Royalty and all, once per session I can Show up Anywhere, Provided there's Walls at my Arrival/Departure Points
                          -Because This Art Degree Ain't Just for Show, I gain +2 to Flashily Attack when I get to show off my art skills

**Powers/Abilities**
                          Graffiti has access to the following powers:

Rune Magic: Graffiti can use magic. However, instead of gestures and chanting, he has to have a surface and a means of inscription for it to work (be it Pen and Paper, or Spray Paint and Brick Walls).

Wall Walking: Graffiti can move along walls as if they were normal floors.

Knowledge of the Arts: When it comes to the Arts- be they Performing, Literary, Visual, or Mystical- Graffiti is your go-to man.

Last edited by Chaotic Void; 06-05-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

This concept hasn't really grabbed me yet. I don't really have a sense for what type of character I'd like to play, either in terms of powers or in terms of theme.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X