Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Muhammad Ali Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali Dies

No matter what opinion one may have of this legend, I believe we can all agree he believed in himself.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/m...4776?cid=sm_fb
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      No matter what opinion one may have of this legend, I believe we can all agree he believed in himself.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/m...4776?cid=sm_fb
      Met him several years back. He had a great sense of humor.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One of my greatest sports heros from my youth, up there with Johnny Unitas.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Great fighter. Even greater entertainer.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

One of the many stories I can tell about Ali to give you an idea what a marvelously twisted sense of humor he had.

My brother has been involved in the sports memorabilia trade for many years. In fact, during shows and conventions here in Atlanta he would be the guy sitting next to the big name draw keeping the line flowing smoothly while the person signed autographs.

Awhile back Muhammad Ali was going to be the big draw and Ali was the idol of my brother's boss (and later partner) at his regular job so my brother asked Bob if he wanted to sit in for him at the show. That is sit next to Ali for a couple hours and talk while he signed autographs.

For Bob it was truly a dream come true. He was ecstatic and obviously jumped at the chance.

Everything went well until about three quarters of the way through the show Ali suddenly stops signing an autograph and turns to Bob glaring at him. "What did you just say?," he growled softly at Bob all the while angrily glaring at him.

Bob was taken aback. He hadn't said anything and said so.

"No. I heard you," Ali snarled getting louder.

Bob continued protesting his innocence completely confused and not wanting one of the greatest boxers who ever lived, a man who made a living pummeling other top notched boxers, and someone he greatly admired, angry at him.

Ali continued getting even louder "You called me a [n-word]. I heard you!"

At this point Bob was stuttering, stammering and nearly reduced to tears both scared and upset.

Ali repeated the accusation even louder.

Then a big smile spread across his face and he told Bob, "It's okay, I was just messing with ya" and started chuckling.

At the end of the show Ali gave Bob a pair of the boxing gloves he had worn during the Olympics that he signed for him as a gift.

My brother inherited the gloves when Bob passed away about a decade later.

But that was how Ali was.
            Last edited by rogue06; 06-04-2016, 10:49 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Great story and what a great gift! Signed olympic boxing gloves.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

So, they played Amazing Grace at his funeral... at a Muslim's funeral...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Really? Weird.

Comment

What funeral?

Comment

The last known photographs of Ali from two months ago. He looks extremely frail but the second one still reveals the mischievous side and the third still shows the inner strength that remained as his body continued to fail

Last edited by rogue06; 06-06-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X