Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

looking at a new laptop, ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luv1another View Post
    this is the one I had looked at but then read Asus wasnt that good a brand.... http://www.warehouse1.com.au/epages/...FYKYvAodOo0Lmg
    Asus ROG laptops are very good (they're competing with the Alienware and Razer laptops, they have to be good to survive). Definitely one of the best on the list at the moment (my own laptop is a normal Asus and I'm happy with it)
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      All three of those are good options.
      Are you talking about the laptops she linked to initially?

Comment

I just got a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, which is basically a tablet computer but with a keyboard cover (with real keys). Runs full windows 10, has an core-i7 processor, solid state hard drive, etc. I really like it because it runs everything my old laptop did, plus it works like a tablet when I want, and it is light and easy to use anywhere. Not cheap, but not super expensive either.

Comment

hmm Sparko not sure that the surface pro is suitable for game playing...do you play any games on it?

Comment

Raphael, I believe Toshiba are getting out of computers...I had a toshy before my Sony and was happy with it but it seems the last few years they have gone down hill. Thats probably not surprising if they are getting out.

Comment

hmm Sparko not sure that the surface pro is suitable for game playing...do you play any games on it?
              Depends on the game. the screen is a bit small (13 inches) but it is as powerful as any other laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Depends on the game. the screen is a bit small (13 inches) but it is as powerful as any other laptop.
                It's as powerful as any laptop without a dedicated GPU, which is pretty much a dealbreaker if you plan on playing games that are even moderately graphically demanding. Especially if you want your laptop to keep up with system requirements for 5 years into the future.
                Last edited by JonathanL; 06-13-2016, 08:51 AM. Reason: forgot an 'even'

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  It's as powerful as any laptop without a dedicated GPU, which is pretty much a dealbreaker if you plan on playing games that are even moderately graphically demanding. Especially if you want your laptop to keep up with system requirements for 5 years into the future.
                  I do video rendering and graphics on the tablet and it is pretty durn fast (video rendering uses a lot of the GPU (built in GPU I suppose)) - I am not much of a gamer but if there is a particular game with a free demo, I would be happy to test it out.

But then most laptops don't have a dedicated GPU, except high end gaming laptops. I don't think luv1another is playing games like Crysis. Probably more like Angry Birds.

Comment

I do video rendering and graphics on the tablet and it is pretty durn fast (video rendering uses a lot of the GPU (built in GPU I suppose)) - I am not much of a gamer but if there is a particular game with a free demo, I would be happy to test it out.

But then most laptops don't have a dedicated GPU, except high end gaming laptops. I don't think luv1another is playing games like Crysis. Probably more like Angry Birds.
                    I will be using it for normal stuff like email, facebook etc and I play games like Dragon age, sims, mass effect etc

Comment

sounds like a surface pro would work for her needs.

They are not cheap though. Just portable and convenient, easy to use in bed, etc. If she is not worried about that, then any laptop would do.

Comment

sounds like a surface pro would work for her needs.

They are not cheap though. Just portable and convenient, easy to use in bed, etc. If she is not worried about that, then any laptop would do.
                        Yeah, except she also stated that she wants a laptop that can keep up with system requirements for games that are 5 years into the future. I highly doubt a surface pro 4 is going to be able to do that, even if you go for the most powerful version with an i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM.

I checked around, and if you're content with playing with low graphical settings and resolution and still getting fairly low framerates, then I guess the SP4 wouldn't necessarily be out of the picture. But if you have about $1500 Australian to spend and want to experience decently smooth gameplay you're much better off going for a low- to mid-range gaming laptop instead.

ETA: Incidentally, this is my 3000th post. Do I win something?

Comment

Yeah, except she also stated that she wants a laptop that can keep up with system requirements for games that are 5 years into the future. I highly doubt a surface pro 4 is going to be able to do that, even if you go for the most powerful version with an i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM.
                          That's what I have.

And it plays games like WoW and Steam games pretty well. I haven't had any games glitch on me yet. Most modern games will adjust themselves to your hardware. I think it will last at least 3 or 4 years into the future. The onboard GPU is pretty durn good. 6th Gen 2.2-GHz Intel Core i7-6650U processor with Intel Iris graphics 540

She wants something she can use in bed, so I am thinking a blazing hot Alienware Gaming Laptop weighing 15 pounds is not what she is looking for.

here is a breakdown of the Intel 540 GPU:
                          http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/...20540%20Mobile

ETA: Incidentally, this is my 3000th post. Do I win something?
                          Only 100,000 more to go! Congratulations!

Comment

That's what I have.

And it plays games like WoW and Steam games pretty well. I haven't had any games glitch on me yet. Most modern games will adjust themselves to your hardware. I think it will last at least 3 or 4 years into the future. The onboard GPU is pretty durn good. 6th Gen 2.2-GHz Intel Core i7-6650U processor with Intel Iris graphics 540

She wants something she can use in bed, so I am thinking a blazing hot Alienware Gaming Laptop weighing 15 pounds is not what she is looking for.
                            Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend an Alienware. And the most powerful SP4 (which is in the $2K AUS range) is still going to be outperformed by a gaming laptop for $1500 AUS. And the laptops I linked to, while not being lightweight like the SP4, are still only 6 pounds, which is quite far from 15 pounds.

Comment

Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend an Alienware. And the most powerful SP4 (which is in the $2K AUS range) is still going to be outperformed by a gaming laptop for $1500 AUS. And the laptops I linked to, while not being lightweight like the SP4, are still only 6 pounds, which is quite far from 15 pounds.
                              which still get awfully hot on your lap. And if you lay it on your bed, it blocks the fans and melts the motherboard. If you want a gaming computer, you are better off with a desktop, and building a $900 monster that can blow away any laptop.

But it is up to Luv1another not me or you. I just gave her a suggestion for a nice computer that is better than any tablet, yet functions as a tablet, and can play games. And will not be obsoleted by the next version of Android in a year.

Comment

which still get awfully hot on your lap. And if you lay it on your bed, it blocks the fans and melts the motherboard. If you want a gaming computer, you are better off with a desktop, and building a $900 monster that can blow away any laptop.
                                True on all accounts. Although most of the overheating issues can be fixed with a basic laptop stand, like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Support-Rea.../dp/B007IT6IO8

But it is up to Luv1another not me or you. I just gave her a suggestion for a nice computer that is better than any tablet, yet functions as a tablet, and can play games. And will not be obsoleted by the next version of Android in a year.
                                If the SP4 is going to be able to play games coming out in the next few years it's probably going to be at low resolutions and framerates that are barely playable.

Comment